don't click here

Anyone wanna talk Pokemon?

Print

Author Topic: Anyone wanna talk Pokemon?  (Read 52193 times)

Offline Rayku

« on: January 16, 2006, 07:41:02 pm »
There's probably already a topic on this, but I couldn't find one cause I'm too lazy. I've got my pokemon addiction growing, and anyone wanting to suck up their pride and talk Pokemon just converse here!

Offline sonicam

• TSC's Most Easily Irritated Member
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 07:43:10 pm »
Bah, I haven't played Pokemon in a while. Last Pokemon game I've played was Emerald. Beat it, but I was constructing a team for Battle Frontier, the cliched Eevee evolution team and then I got bored of EV training and quit. :( I might pick it up on day and play again. :o
Chaos Emeralds: Yellow, Red, Green, Blue and Purple.
Keys: Light Blue.

Click here to level up my card!

Offline Rayku

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 07:49:06 pm »
Well I'm trying to find a legitamate way to get a Lugia. If anyone knows please tell me

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 08:22:02 pm »
Play Gold/Silver? *shot*

Seriously, GSC is the best of the lot. I may have to look into getting one of RSE though because I wouldn't mind a new challenge. :o

<3 Thorn.

Offline Rayku

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 08:35:45 pm »
Natures put a new twist in the plot, Mike. They make the game a lot gayer, but more fun and not so unfair

And yes I've got my whole team leveled up to 100, and it's my permanent team that I've gone undefeated with. On GSC I've got Umbreon, Espeon, Vaporeon, Lugia, Mewtwo and Tyranitar all waiting to go. I've kinda developed a bond with my silver game, seeing it through to the end. I even pretended to perform CPR on it when it got washed in the washing machine =P

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 10:12:09 pm »
Eh, I haven't played in a while; got a bit bored with it. Bleh.

Beat it, but I was constructing a team for Battle Frontier, the cliched Eevee evolution team and then I got bored of EV training and quit. :(
[snapback]8991[/snapback]
Main reason I got bored, heh. EV training is only good if you're REALLY bored and have nothing to do. Like you're on a vacation or something.

Well I'm trying to find a legitamate way to get a Lugia. If anyone knows please tell me
[snapback]8993[/snapback]
Aurora Ticket IIRC (Either that or mystic, but I think that's Deoxys), which you get either from Ninty themselves at their silly events (ie Mew, Celebi, etc) or by record mixing with someone who already has it.

And I have somewhat a similar bond with my Gold, kinda tried to complete the dex, but it's frozen at 227 because I haven't worked on it in a while.
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline SadisticMystic

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 10:23:29 pm »
My Blue Pokedex is at 46 because I don't care about that aspect.  Gold is at 157 because Stadium 2 is silly and wants you to fill it up most of the way for some "cool feature" that didn't have that restriction in the first game.

I will take this opportunity to plug my PKUtility, which does stat and damage calculation and can sometimes help find your DVs.  The previous link requires Excel in order to do anything meaningful; a version for the OpenDocument format is also available.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 11:00:54 pm by SadisticMystic »

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 11:21:32 pm »
Natures: Good idea but poorly implemented. Reasons: only factor to getting a good one is luck and the game keeps what they do hidden. The next game should tell players what natures do and have ways to change a nature.
EVs: Hate them. They're completely hidden, with no way to find out their exact number (in-game only), and they restrict freedom in terms of viable strategies.
I've collected every species in Blue and Silver. My old team was Feraligator, Celebi, Charizard, Ampharos, Tyranitar, and Mewtwo (used mostly as an ace in the hole in a tight spot).
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Buizel

• Stay classy.
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Psyknux
  • win81 mozilla
  • 許しませんっ!
    • View Profile
    • The Faec >:O!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 11:58:50 pm »
Bah, I haven't played Pokemon in a while. Last Pokemon game I've played was Emerald.

You haven't played in a while? >_> ^_^ <_< v_v >_>...@_@...whooaa...dizzy...

I haven't played since Ruby/Sapphire. I haven't touched the cartridges in about six months at least...

Seriously, GSC is the best of the lot. I may have to look into getting one of RSE though because I wouldn't mind a new challenge. :o
[snapback]8994[/snapback]

I agree that GSC is the best series (with Silver as the best, IMO). And...I didn't see anything challenging about RSE, unless you're focusing on raising, in which personalities and EVs make the process painful. Oh, except I had trouble the first time I went against Glacia. I focused too much on Dragon pokémon, and I always choose Treecko as my starter, so...you know..."GLALIE/SEALEO/WALREIN used ICE BEAM!" "It's super effective!"...*groan* >_<

And yes I've got my whole team leveled up to 100, and it's my permanent team that I've gone undefeated with. On GSC I've got Umbreon, Espeon, Vaporeon, Lugia, Mewtwo and Tyranitar all waiting to go. I've kinda developed a bond with my silver game, seeing it through to the end. I even pretended to perform CPR on it when it got washed in the washing machine =P
[snapback]8995[/snapback]

Go you...I never invested a whole lot of time leveling up my pokémon. Here's my teams (I don't use legendaries):

Red: Chansey {64}, Dragonite {55}, Electabuzz {55}, Magmar {55}, Alakazam {54}, Starmie {48} (because all of my stronger pokémon (including my legendaries) are in my Gold version and I haven't replayed Red yet)
Gold: Dragonite {68}, Tyranitar {68}, Alakazam {68}, Ampharos {67}, Feraligatr {66}, Espeon {64}
Ruby: Sceptile {56}, Salamence {55}, Gardevoir {53}, Swellow {52}, Manectric {40}, Metang {35}
Sapphire: Ludicolo {63}, Salamence {58}, Gardevoir {50}, Skarmory {50}, Manectric {50}, Treecko (yes, I know... >_>;) {48}

And my Pokédexes:
Red: 141
Gold: 213
Ruby: 80
Sapphire: 136

I want Silver...I also want Fire Red...oh well, I'm broke. -_-;

And...you 'performed' CPR on your cartridge?!!! o_O
Hay guiz, I made a table showing how many points each game tracked by TSC is worth. You should go see it.
Also v2.0 of my TSC calculator is available to use. You should totally use it.
I update these every Monday around 2:30pm GMT.

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 02:40:46 am »
While we're talking Pokedexes...

Blue: Fully complete from Bulbasaur to Mew - and I've never been to a Nintendo licensed Pokemon event.

Silver: Completed from Bulbasaur to Ho-Oh. As I said, I've never been to one of those "LEGENDARIES! GET YOUR LEGENDARIES!" events, so I never got Celebi. I mainly bought Crystal for this reason - then found out when I got home that Celebi was only in the Japanese version. As you might expect, I was damn pissed off when I read that.

My brother has the other four versions up to Crystal, which I've used over the years as tools to raise better Pokemon or to complete my Pokedexes.

Of course, some of you may also remember my attempt at speedrunning Gold. I eventually got my time down to 4 hours 37 minutes, but the time you will see on SDA in the near future is 4:13. I'm going to have to watch it and see the merits of getting a Rod and Poliwag versus catching the Red Gyarados...

<3 Thorn.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 05:57:13 am »
[snapback]8993[/snapback]

Buy Pokemon XD and catch it X)

Also /me talks Pokemon!

Psy....duck?...

Aurora Ticket IIRC (Either that or mystic, but I think that's Deoxys), which you get either from Ninty themselves at their silly events
[snapback]8997[/snapback]

Aurora Ticket=Deoxys

I have Deoxys :D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 06:03:39 am by RPGnutter »
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Rayku

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 08:27:42 pm »
My non-national pokedex on Sapphire is at 199...4 more to go:

Wigglytuff, Golem, and two other guys I don't remember...I used up my moon stone on a stupid Skitty when I thought I'd want one...

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 10:11:36 pm »
Rayku that is really lol. Like Skitty/Delcatty is any good.

And how do you consider four more, considering there's only Jirachi and Deoxys as extras, and you can't get multiple forms of Deoxys in one game?

I got all 200 in Ruby non-national, but then I restarted. >_>
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

Offline sonicam

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 10:18:05 pm »
Bah, I haven't played Pokemon in a while. Last Pokemon game I've played was Emerald.

You haven't played in a while? >_> ^_^ <_< v_v >_>...@_@...whooaa...dizzy...
[snapback]8999[/snapback]

What do you mean? :o

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2006, 02:12:22 am »
The move set structure for the series might need some reworking. (Mostly when it comes to HM's.) Here's one of my thoughts on what might be a good idea for next games. I'd like to hear some feed back about this idea.
-Moves are never forgotten when new moves are learned. All moves learned go to a move bank. In order to be used in battle, a move must be equipped to the battle set. (Like the way Tales of Symphonia manages things for human controlled characters.) The battle set can be changed at any time except during a battle. HM moves however, can be used for their non-combat functions even if its not part of the battle set. Some of the advantages of this system would be the elimination of the nessecity of "HM slaves" and the ability to change move sets for capturing stuff, then go back to vs trainer mode sets.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2006, 03:27:34 am »
Rayku that is really lol. Like Skitty/Delcatty is any good.

And how do you consider four more, considering there's only Jirachi and Deoxys as extras, and you can't get multiple forms of Deoxys in one game?

I got all 200 in Ruby non-national, but then I restarted. >_>
[snapback]9007[/snapback]

Non-National Sapphire I have 202 :D

National I have something like 336.

I refuse to let anyone touch my Sapphire cart because of that, same with my Leaf Green because it has the Aurora Ticket embedded into it X)

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 02:20:17 pm »
Natures: Good idea but poorly implemented. Reasons: only factor to getting a good one is luck and the game keeps what they do hidden. The next game should tell players what natures do and have ways to change a nature.
EVs: Hate them. They're completely hidden, with no way to find out their exact number (in-game only), and they restrict freedom in terms of viable strategies.
[snapback]8998[/snapback]

You have to remember that Pokémon has quite a young demographic. The target audience of sales is not those who want to calculate stats to make the best possible Pokémon. Hence there is also more emphasis in marketing on collecting them rather than training, as that again lessens the amount of focus placed on full-training.

EVs may be hidden, but you can't find their exact number? Try counting ftw.

They do restrict freedom in terms of strategies, but I think that's a positive thing. It makes strategy a lot more interesting if you can only 'max out' up to two stats. If you could reach 255 EVs on all stats, it would make the EV system pointless as it might as well have '+ 68' (I think) in the formula rather than '+ (EV / 4)'.

Wigglytuff, Golem, and two other guys I don't remember...I used up my moon stone on a stupid Skitty when I thought I'd want one...
[snapback]9006[/snapback]

Use Thief on Lunatones to get more Moon Stones. I think there is a 10% chance they'll be holding one.

The move set structure for the series might need some reworking. (Mostly when it comes to HM's.) Here's one of my thoughts on what might be a good idea for next games. I'd like to hear some feed back about this idea.
-Moves are never forgotten when new moves are learned. All moves learned go to a move bank. In order to be used in battle, a move must be equipped to the battle set. (Like the way Tales of Symphonia manages things for human controlled characters.) The battle set can be changed at any time except during a battle. HM moves however, can be used for their non-combat functions even if its not part of the battle set. Some of the advantages of this system would be the elimination of the nessecity of "HM slaves" and the ability to change move sets for capturing stuff, then go back to vs trainer mode sets.
[snapback]9009[/snapback]

Having no limit on the moves that can be learnt, other than a Pokémon's move pool, is silly. I mean just think, if you bred a new Pokémon, rather than having up to four moves of the parent, it would have perhaps all of them depending on the species.

It's silly enough that you can forget HM moves and relearn level-up-learnt moves now, in that those and your idea totally throw out the strategy involved in which moves to learn, keep and forget.

I don't see much of a problem in having HM slaves. All it means is that you have a fighting team of 5, which is immaterial when playing ingame. Heck, giving all your team HMs is fine if you plan to use them ingame only, which you should be if it's the team you are playing through the game with, as they will have messed up EV's/10.
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline sonicam

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2006, 03:23:20 pm »
[snapback]9006[/snapback]

Use Thief on Lunatones to get more Moon Stones. I think there is a 10% chance they'll be holding one.

Or Covet since you have Delcatty, IIRC, Delcatty and Ziggy/Loonone can learn Covet. Same as Theif but less PP, Normal and not a TM. :o

Having no limit on the moves that can be learnt, other than a Pokémon's move pool, is silly. I mean just think, if you bred a new Pokémon, rather than having up to four moves of the parent, it would have perhaps all of them depending on the species.

It's silly enough that you can forget HM moves and relearn level-up-learnt moves now, in that those and your idea totally throw out the strategy involved in which moves to learn, keep and forget.

I don't see much of a problem in having HM slaves. All it means is that you have a fighting team of 5, which is immaterial when playing ingame. Heck, giving all your team HMs is fine if you plan to use them ingame only, which you should be if it's the team you are playing through the game with, as they will have messed up EV's/10.
[snapback]9012[/snapback]

For the most part, I agree with CF, but disagree on his other argument. Having a full moveset of learned moves like in ToS just shouldn't happen. There just has to be a limit w/ all fairness, but the moveset changing aside from the set 4 you can have is a very good idea, but there has to be limit and it would also promote laziness :/. As for CF saying that it's silly for Move Deleters/Tutors, I disagree. I think it was an excellent idea. I know for a fact I hated giving my Bulbasaur Cut when I first played my Red version and then having no way to get rid of it. Most of the HM for the most are among some of the worst attacks in the game. Cut is only 50 power w/ no added effects. Flash is ok, but very inaccurate. Waterfall is a shitter Surf. Whirlpool = a Water Wrap and sucks. Fly gets pwned by Thunder. Rock Smash is quite possibly the worst attack in the game. Poor excuse of an attack. Surf is obviously the best HM and a worthy attack you'll have on your Water Pokemon that specialize in Special Attacks for the most part. All the others have to go and you won't want for you final team.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2006, 06:42:40 pm »
Most of the HM for the most are among some of the worst attacks in the game. Cut is only 50 power w/ no added effects. Flash is ok, but very inaccurate. Waterfall is a shitter Surf. Whirlpool = a Water Wrap and sucks. Fly gets pwned by Thunder. Rock Smash is quite possibly the worst attack in the game. Poor excuse of an attack. Surf is obviously the best HM and a worthy attack you'll have on your Water Pokemon that specialize in Special Attacks for the most part. All the others have to go and you won't want for you final team.
[snapback]9014[/snapback]

Strength isnt all that bad when you just need a Normal type move that hits pretty hard, and plus its needed at some point in every Pokemon game. Unless of course you have an uber happy++ Pokemon with return or something, or Double Edge or Body Slam >_>

Offline Rayku

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2006, 05:42:38 pm »
Magnum: I think you should be limited to 5 moves and 8 pokemon per team, that's just my stupid head thinking though

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2006, 10:15:26 pm »
5 moves is fine (I know of a message board RPG that allows six, actually); 8 per team; that's something they can't really change. It's just TOO classic.

And CF more like 63, not 68. 252 (the max effective effort you can gain) / 4 =  63.

Offline Rolken

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2006, 06:18:53 pm »
It's just TOO classic.
[snapback]9024[/snapback]
The whole series is too classic, and needs changing before I'll bother with it again. Played RBY competitively back in the day (and got 151 in the dex), but everything since has been a disappointment; I've bought at least one of each generation since, but haven't completed the storyline of a game since the metallic days. Pokemon was the franchise I bought a Cube for (since I didn't want to miss out on another round of 3D Pokemon as I did without an N64), but I could never get into Colosseum.

Since even Final Fantasy's getting a makeover now, I'd say Pokemon is probably the most stale franchise I've ever played.

But hey, if anyone wants to PBS for nostalgia sake, I'm up for it.
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline SadisticMystic

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2006, 06:50:22 pm »
By PBS do you mean the system that's exploitable remotely at places such as Azure Heights?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 06:51:10 pm by SadisticMystic »

Offline Rolken

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2006, 02:58:04 pm »
That's the one!
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2006, 03:44:24 pm »
And CF more like 63, not 68. 252 (the max effective effort you can gain) / 4 =  63.
[snapback]9024[/snapback]

Shut up I am too lazy for your arithmetic.

Also I will PBS you all up the wazoo. Or perhaps NetBattle. First I must get ye working computer. Kthx and bye.
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline Rayku

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2006, 04:12:03 pm »
I just seriously showed up my friend at Pokemon yesterday. He was talking crap about me, so I said 'Alright, I'll fight you' so he gets in and says 'no legendaries'. I say 'Oh shit, all my non-legendaries are on XD'

I beat him with 2 pokemon that were both rare-candied all the way to lv. 100, that's how much he sucked. And he did use a legendary, he used Suicune because he meant no uber legendaries, so I just owned him with a Gardevoir with straight Psychic attacks and a Kingdra. I laughed in his face...

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2006, 06:24:25 pm »
I have a Level 100 Dragon team :D

<_<

Offline Aeida

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2006, 03:22:49 am »

I gotta say i have thought this all along, i mean come on how stupid is something if they forget how to tackle, bite and etc ... these things must have trouble when it comes to eating because damn....
[/color]

Offline Aeida

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2006, 03:27:37 am »
How do i edit posts, if it is possible, sorry i dont wanna double post but i wanted to mention that I also have a Lvl 100 Shiney Charizard... it is Black and cool...
[/color]

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2006, 03:55:04 am »
Centre alignment ftw?

Also, there is indeed an Edit button, you'll see it below your post. (There should be four green buttons: Delete, Edit, Quote, Reply)

<3 Thorn.

Print

Hits: 118 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.26 MB | Time: 0.07s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.