don't click here

Sonic Riders Competition

Print

Author Topic: Sonic Riders Competition  (Read 26422 times)

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
Sonic Riders Competition
« on: February 21, 2006, 06:38:53 pm »
Since Sonic Riders is coming out soon, I think we should start coming up with ideas on how we should classify our divisions. When someone gets the game, please post any information that could be important for future competition.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
  • the fine young doctor is headed this way.
    • View Profile
Sonic Riders Competition
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 07:09:53 pm »
I'm likely to be getting Sonic Riders soon, so expect me to have some influence. I'll post later with my ideas, but I just wanted to reserve a spot in the legislature. ;)
This signature was typed on a #@^%ING COMPUTER. Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate Sony and / or Bidoofs.

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
Sonic Riders Competition
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 08:28:54 pm »
I think we should sort it out by track and by character. Based on what I've heard, here are the possible playable characters: Sonic, Jet, Amy, Shadow?, Knuckles, Storm, Egg Man?, Tails, Wave, Rouge?, and Cream? Everything with a question mark is only speculation and rumors (not absolutely sure these ones have been confirmed yet). I've personally seen gameplay footage of the characters who don't have question marks by their names however.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
Sonic Riders Competition
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 08:39:00 pm »
I think SEGA's web page for the game had about 15 spots to fill in the Characters section.  Plus, there's supposedly a mission mode of some sort.  That would be a lot of blanks to fill on the submissions sheet.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
    • View Profile
Sonic Riders Competition
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 08:39:55 pm »
Hmm. I believe that, since each character has its own advantages and disadvantages that could oblilerate them from use or allow them to be used in an overadvantageous fashion, they should definitely be seperated into their own groups, much like how in certain games, there are Sonic sections and Tails sections. I don't have the game yet, though, but I think this would be the way to go.
This signature was typed on a #@^%ING COMPUTER. Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate Sony and / or Bidoofs.

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
Sonic Riders Competition
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 08:44:23 pm »
See Sonic R, Sonic Drift and Sonic Drift 2 for the way this game should, and will, be divided.

<3 Thorn.

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
    • View Profile
Sonic Riders Competition
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 08:57:37 pm »
See Sonic R, Sonic Drift and Sonic Drift 2 for the way this game should, and will, be divided.
[snapback]10000[/snapback]

Any specific reasons? I'm curious.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
Sonic Riders Competition
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 03:18:10 am »
[snapback]10000[/snapback]

Too right.

Drift 1 and 2 still need a Fastest Lap Division though >_>
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
    • View Profile
Sonic Riders Competition
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 09:17:56 am »
Er, I'm getting Sonic Riders today, so I'll be back as soon as I have played it.

Offline DJ Koopa

Sonic Riders Competition
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 09:52:01 am »
Sonic, Jet, Amy, Shadow?, Knuckles, Storm, Egg Man?, Tails, Wave, Rouge?, and Cream?
[snapback]9995[/snapback]
I have seen Gameplay footage with every character there except Eggman. There's also some extra characters Robot 1 and Robot 2 or something like that, who are supposed to be unlockable racers as well, and there's like... 5 slots for secret unlockable characters as well. 5:1 says you'll only be able to play as Team Sonic and the Babylon Riders from the jump.

I'm getting the game when the store opens. I pre-ordered it, so I'm-a pick it up.
[img width= height=]http://www.cutandpastescripts.com/cgi-bin/randomimages/randomimages.pl?username=Turbos[/img]

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
    • View Profile
Sonic Riders Competition
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 10:44:25 am »
According to the Sonic Riders site, Eggman is supposed to be in the game. According to other sites, he's supposed to be on a motorcycle instead of a board, and it's been pretty much confirmed:

http://eggmanempire.com:81/eggmaninsonicriders.php

That's all you need to know about Eggman in Sonic Riders, well, for now,  anyway.

Offline DJ Koopa

Sonic Riders Competition
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 11:54:48 am »
A hover cycle?! Haha! That's hilarious. I wonder what kind of tricks HE'S gonna be doing...
[img width= height=]http://www.cutandpastescripts.com/cgi-bin/randomimages/randomimages.pl?username=Turbos[/img]

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
Sonic Riders Competition
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 03:02:35 pm »
Er, I'm getting Sonic Riders today, so I'll be back as soon as I have played it.
[snapback]10011[/snapback]

WHAT!? YOU YANKEE BASTARDS GET IT ALREADY!? FUCK YOU ALL! I HAVE TO WAIT TILL THE 31ST OF FUCKING MARCH!

*ignites the topic and stabs it repeatedly in the face*

Fuck.

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
Sonic Riders Competition
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 08:21:38 pm »
Indeed, the ship date for the U.S version was 2/21. BTW, 3/31 is the release date for Kingdom Hearts 2 in the U.S.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
Sonic Riders Competition
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 08:33:11 pm »
But I dont want Kingdom Hearts 2 :(

I have the first one which I bought and (stupidly) never took back when I didnt like it much. I guess I'll force myself to play it for completions sake some day.

Offline Buizel

• Stay classy.
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Psyknux
  • win81 mozilla
  • 許しませんっ!
    • View Profile
    • The Faec >:O!!!
Sonic Riders Competition
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2006, 10:18:52 pm »
[snapback]10011[/snapback]

WHAT!? YOU YANKEE BASTARDS GET IT ALREADY!? FUCK YOU ALL! I HAVE TO WAIT TILL THE 31ST OF FUCKING MARCH!

*ignites the topic and stabs it repeatedly in the face*

Fuck.
[snapback]10020[/snapback]

*gives topic medical treatment and flame shield (to prevent from further ignitions)*

Don't blame us from the US just because we're privileged. X) Maybe I'll buy it tomorrow just to spite you...

It's not my fault the gaming industry hates Europe... >_>
Hay guiz, I made a table showing how many points each game tracked by TSC is worth. You should go see it.
Also v2.0 of my TSC calculator is available to use. You should totally use it.
I update these every Monday around 2:30pm GMT.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
Sonic Riders Competition
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2006, 10:56:10 pm »
Yeah well like die D:

Im'a go play Panzer Saga and Shining Force III just because I can :D

Offline Rolken

Sonic Riders Competition
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2006, 11:29:59 pm »
Being in Utah, I probably won't have it until tomorrow or maybe Friday; our shipments wend through much of the Midwest before getting here.

How is it? I'm worried by the lack of review copies sent out, but maybe they just got burned by Shadow.
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • TSC: SkyLights
  • win7 firefox
  • YOU CAN PROBABLY READ MY POSTS BETTER NOW
    • View Profile
Sonic Riders Competition
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2006, 11:41:12 pm »
It's not great, but it's not bad either. It's like F-Zero GX, if you've ever played that game, except more wild and with Sonic painted over it.

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
Sonic Riders Competition
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2006, 12:12:18 am »
It's not great, but it's not bad either. It's like F-Zero GX, if you've ever played that game, except more wild and with Sonic painted over it.
[snapback]10046[/snapback]

I'm pro F-Zero GX.

I might actually enjoy this game - after you lucky bastards in the States get a few months to enjoy it first.

<3 Thorn.

Offline sonicam

• TSC's Most Easily Irritated Member
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
Sonic Riders Competition
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2006, 12:32:26 am »
Indeed, too bad I don't even want the game, early shippment's being wasted on me. :P

EDIT: Hmm..., I wonder if this is why Cherry is so Anti-American, she's jealous she doesn't get the same games US does and when they do, they get them months later... :P
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 12:34:04 am by sonicam »
Chaos Emeralds: Yellow, Red, Green, Blue and Purple.
Keys: Light Blue.

Click here to level up my card!

Offline DJ Koopa

Sonic Riders Competition
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2006, 03:18:28 am »
[snapback]10046[/snapback]
Wrong. It's like (faster) Kirby Air Ride with a gas tank and jumps. Oh yeah, and tricks as well.

The cool thing is, you can ride on a board, hover skates *coughshadowcough*, or a bike *Eggman'd*. It's all the same pretty much, except for stats. Plus, every 30 rings, you level up kinda like Sonic Heroes. Lotsa diffrent stuff to use. I especially like the skate tricks. Hip-Hop Invert rules all.

Some of the missions have competitve elements, which is usually completing one lap as fast a possible under certain track conditions.

Oh, if you're wondering, yes, I already beat Story mode.

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
Sonic Riders Competition
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2006, 06:53:29 am »
Wrong. It's like (faster) Kirby Air Ride with a gas tank and jumps. Oh yeah, and tricks as well.
[snapback]10052[/snapback]
It can't be both? I'm only saying F-Zero because this game is blatantly running off of the F-Zero engine when it comes to just about everything.

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
    • View Profile
Sonic Riders Competition
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2006, 12:03:21 pm »
The game is very, very fun once you get the hang of it. I haven't played any F-Zeroes, but I can tell you that it takes a while to get used to the control scheme of the game. But once you're able to do that, Sonic Riders is a challenging, fun game with many hidden surprises.

There's basically 3 forms of travel that I know of as of now:

Board: The main form of travel. You start off with only this, and is useable by most characters (only one that I know can't use a board is Shadow)
Skates: After you beat the Heroes story, you get this, along with Shadow and a few currently known unlockable characters. They, as of now, seem to be useable by all of the known characters that I have (sorry, no info on Eggman yet). Some are specific to character, but the first one you get can be used by all (or, depending on the Eggman situation, most) characters. Generally, they have less power ratings than Boards, but I don't know much else about them. I think they have generally better speed and less weight.
Motorcycle: As far as we know, only Eggman uses it, but I need to go further into the game to find out.

And the trick system is simple. When you see one of those things that gets you off into the air, simply pass over it and use the control stick to perform a trick. If you hold A, you can charge up a trick and you can perform tricks faster, and create trick combinations with the control stick. If you fail doing a trick, you don't fall off, you just lose a little speed and continue on. But if you do a trick properly, your fuel rating will increase.

Although it takes a bit to get a feel for the game, once you have a grip on the control scheme, this is a short game with loads of fun even when you're done.

Oh yes, and the thing between Tails and Knuckles at the second part of the Heroes story was hilarious.

Offline DJ Koopa

Sonic Riders Competition
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2006, 05:46:46 pm »
It can't be both? I'm only saying F-Zero because this game is blatantly running off of the F-Zero engine when it comes to just about everything.
[snapback]10057[/snapback]
No, this game is using the Kirby Air Ride engine You can see by the flying, the rails, and the steering. Like I said, take away the air tank, and the tricks/jumping ability, and you've got a faster Kirby Air Ride.

Board: The main form of travel. You start off with only this, and is useable by most characters (only one that I know can't use a board is Shadow)
Skates: After you beat the Heroes story, you get this, along with Shadow and a few currently known unlockable characters. They, as of now, seem to be useable by all of the known characters that I have (sorry, no info on Eggman yet). Some are specific to character, but the first one you get can be used by all (or, depending on the Eggman situation, most) characters. Generally, they have less power ratings than Boards, but I don't know much else about them. I think they have generally better speed and less weight.
Motorcycle: As far as we know, only Eggman uses it, but I need to go further into the game to find out.
[snapback]10067[/snapback]
Actually, Eggman is the only restricting character. He can ONLY use bikes. The Magic Carpet is useable by all characters, which looks (and positions your character) like a board, but rides like an entirely diffrent unique gear all it's own, and Shadow can use a board as well, just not the ones already there. ones like Beginner and Accelerator he can use. Not many besides that.

The best 2 combos I've found is Sonic/Shadow (not Jet) + Advantage-S (skates), and Tails + Grinder (skates). The Advantage-S are EXTREMELY fast, but everything else is lacking, so you'd do best to pick these for courses you can easily stay on-track with, else you'll mess up. Egg Factory and Metal City are good tracks for this combo. the Grinder skates with a flying character is especially good for just about every track, as most shortcuts are by grinding or flying, and most are in diffrent areas, so you'll be able to take both shortcuts. I've set a crazy fast record in Splash Canyon with this combo.

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
Sonic Riders Competition
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2006, 06:00:57 pm »
[snapback]10057[/snapback]
No, this game is using the Kirby Air Ride engine You can see by the flying, the rails, and the steering. Like I said, take away the air tank, and the tricks/jumping ability, and you've got a faster Kirby Air Ride.
Okay. Let us use some simple logic here.

Kirby Air Ride was designed by Nintendo. F-Zero GX was designed by Sega. Who would be more willing to give up the F-Zero engine to Sega? SURELY not the company that made it in the first place.

The graphics are in the same style as F-Zero GX. It's even got the same blur effect. The music is also the techno style of F-Zero GX. The menu's, the whole selection process, and the HUD are generally the same as F-Zero GX's. If you replace Star ranks with Letter ranks, it's even the same there. The collision engine in the game is the same, they added to the amount of attacks possible, just made it so that it goes forward all the time, and has the same AI as F-Zero GX. This game is, undoubtbly, F-Zero GX with Sonic.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Amusement Vision themselves had something to do with this. They were the ones that made Monkey Ball and GX after all.

So, in conclusion, while it may have similar gameplay to KAR, it is undoubtbly based off of the F-Zero engine.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 06:01:45 pm by SkyLights »

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
    • View Profile
Sonic Riders Competition
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2006, 06:07:15 pm »
Hm. Well, it seems Eggman can only use the motorcycle as of now. I do believe that EVERY character seems to be able to use the motorcycle.

Also, there IS another kind of transportation that you can use, but I'm not telling you, because that'd be super-spoilers.

Offline DJ Koopa

Sonic Riders Competition
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2006, 07:03:00 pm »
Okay. Let us use some advanced game programming here.

Sega works with Nintendo when it comes to making games for their systems. Kirby Air Ride was made by Hal Labz, not Nintendo.

The Graphics that are used in a cinematics are general textures which is used in 95% of all games made on the new gen systems. I have not seen any blur effect, but I have seen speed effects which are used in Kirby Air Ride, only at a slower pace. The menus, not counting the title-screen menu, are the same as Kirby Air Ride's, and the HUD is diffren from both GX and Air Ride, so you can'e base anything off that. Where did you get Star/Letter ranks from? Mario Kart DS? 'Cause you're not making sence there. The collision engine leans toward Air Ride as well, not GX, as GX used machines going 2000 k/m at about a ton of metal per machine average, some as low as 1/3rd and some as heavy as 1.5x so the collision can not be the same. Also, as a bonus fact, when you hit something like a car, the crash is similar to Kirby Air Ride as GX had nothing of that sort. GX only had 2 attacks. One being a full out spin, and the other being a side bump. You can't compare that to Riders, as it doesn't work like that. Air Ride had variable attacks based on the enemy swallowed, which made the attacks highly variable. Riders doesn't have variable for all characters, but they DO vary from the character used, like Tails will zap a racer to a complete halt, while Sonic will just knock them high into the air. AI diffrers from EVERY game, and even most sequals, so that had no value.

By the way, nobody from Amusement Vision worked on this game. At all.

So, in conclusion, considering the gameplay has pretty much NO similar gameplay to GX, it is undoubtbly based off of the Kirby Air Ride engine.

You LOSE. Good DAY sir. And if you'll excuse me, I gots more gear to unlock.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 07:05:05 pm by Turbos »

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
Sonic Riders Competition
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2006, 08:17:18 pm »
You LOSE. Good DAY sir.
[snapback]10079[/snapback]

Willy Wonka'd ftw

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
Sonic Riders Competition
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2006, 08:30:44 pm »
Pfft.  Menus, HUDS, other graphics, tricks available, texturing, music and all that crap has nothing to do with the engine.  A 3D game engine's primary function is to position models, simulate collisions and such: low-level calculations on the map/model matrices.  Values such as rates of acceleration/deceleration, gravity, friction, camera positioning and so on can be changed without the engine itself being changed.  An FPS game can be changed into a 3rd-person adventure can be changed into a flight sim without any change to the fundamental game mechanics.  If you're going to use terms like "engine", please use them properly.

How the game plays should have nothing to do with the engine, given that it provides all the required functionality for the higher level calls.  In theory, if game designers agreed on common interfacing, game engines could easily be interchangeable without the average player really being able to tell (sadly a lot of game programming isn't done modularly; the Source engine of HL2 is a good example of one that is though).

I've not played the game, but just because it plays like another game doesn't mean it uses its engine, and just because it doesn't play like another game doesn't mean it doesn't use that game's engine.

In summary, this is a pointless argument.

[Edit: note the irony between this post and my custom title :) ]
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 08:32:18 pm by douglas »
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Print

Hits: 328 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.25 MB | Time: 0.16s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.