don't click here

Riders opinions

Print

Author Topic: Riders opinions  (Read 9705 times)

Offline Rolken

Riders opinions
« on: February 25, 2006, 06:58:59 am »
Note that there're mild spoilers in here, such as the numbers of tracks and length of story mode and such. If that bothers you, you probably shouldn't have clicked on a topic named 'Riders' to begin with, so stop reading. D;

Also note that my opinions on the game are not at all guaranteed to be the consensus. Others who have played it should post what you think too.

Anyhow, I think it is great. I've played it 18 hours since I got it yesterday. (A large part of that is also that I have been sick :P) I've completed about 75% of the game (excluding perfect rankings) and read about the rest, so I think my opinion is pretty well settled. I find it to be, oddly enough, the most Sonicy game I've played in a long time besides Rush. It also borrows from Rush, as the main thrust of the gameplay, the air meter, functions highly similarly to it, depleting with boosts (and most other functions) and recharging with tricks.

I find the game endearing because the controls are relatively simple and yet the game is wicked hard. The simplicity doesn't mean it's straightforward; the game gives help as to what buttons to press to get around curves, but even so you can expect to spend a fair bit of time eating the wall in 8th place until you've gained experience with the physics. The game reminds me of F-Zero GX in several ways, and one of the foremost is the steep learning curve. The story mode is short enough to conceivably be finished in half an hour, but the first time through I averaged that long on each course. Oddly enough, for whatever reason, the only course I managed to beat on the first try was the last one.

The other main mode is the missions, which (as far as I know) gives five objectives for each course. They range from stupidly easy to ridiculous, especially if you try for gold ratings, which you'll have to if you want to unlock some of the coolest stuff in the game. And they're awesome in that unlike the obscenely long Shadow/Heroes missions, few stray much over a minute long. This makes a world of difference as far as I'm concerned. The courses themselves are limited in number - 16 total, in two pairs of 8 that match up somewhat analogously to Acts 1/2 in S3&K - but well designed, and the last unlockable one is simply awesome.

There are a few negative points to Riders. There are some unexcusable omissions from the character list (I'm looking at you, Metal Sonic). The presentation could have used another layer of polish, as there're several pointlessly annoying oversights, such as TA course selection only showing your fastest lap - you have to leave play mode and go into the separate records area to see your fastest total race.  And each course has a segment which refills your air as you madly rotate the control stick, which will kill your hand if you're not careful.

Overall, though, it's the best game Sonic Team's put out in years. I'll be highly excited if/when Riders 2 is officially announced.
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline Shadow Wedge

• Unofficial never-be-first for SAdv
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp firefox
    • View Profile
    • http://IT DON'T EXIST ANYMORE
Riders opinions
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 03:52:06 pm »
This is a great game. I agree with most of what Rolken said. I haven't noticed some of the negative things he's talked about (well, now that I know about it I guess I know about the lack of Metal Sonic) but I've only played about 6 hours of the game. And it is very true that rotating the control stick rather fast (it also increases your speed as well as your air) does kill your hand very fast.

They range from stupidly easy to ridiculous, especially if you try for gold ratings
And if you do go for the gold rankings, they also range from stupidly easy to ridiculous. :P

The difficulty of the game is rather weird. The AI is hard, and it has odd catch-up, but it's not so horrible that you will automatically lose if you screw up while you have a good lead.

I am also looking forward to a Sonic Riders 2 if Sega decides to have one made.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 03:52:17 pm by Shadow Wedge »
<3 Sonic Rush, Sonic Riders, Sonic Rivals. Rolko-style encoding: StH JJ1 Tal+++! $++++ GM
Yes it's correct, that ! is there.

Offline Rolken

Riders opinions
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 08:03:12 pm »
I'm pretty sure the AI doesn't use catchup. I've been monitoring the positions on the minimap in GP mode (the hardest AI mode, as far as I know), and I've seen several times where an AI botches things badly and falls far behind for the remainder of the race - in one amusing instance, an Eggman icon careened far away from the track and disappeared way off the map. Additionally, I've been able to get a good 15-20 second lead on the 2nd-place contender through simply mad racing skills, which doesn't happen so much with catchup.

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
Riders opinions
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 08:22:00 pm »
I've been monitoring the positions on the minimap in GP mode (the hardest AI mode, as far as I know), and I've seen several times where an AI botches things badly and falls far behind for the remainder of the race - in one amusing instance, an Eggman icon careened far away from the track and disappeared way off the map.
[snapback]10208[/snapback]
Reminds me of when I saw Tails like way behind when I was doing Dark Desert.

Anyways I'm not as far progress-wise (I still am on my first run-through in stories, though I'm almost done with my first Babylon run, since I'm on Sky Road, which is a bitch), but for the most part I agree with Rolko. Can't compare to F0GX (having not played it), but yeah.

Omissions... woo. No Metal, no E-series, some complain of no Chaotix though I don't really care. The random Sonic Team characters (NiGHTS, AiAi, Ulala) don't really seem to fit in my mind (though I haven't unlocked them yet). But Metal would've been cool. :(

Haven't tried multiplayer yet, mostly because my sister hasn't played the game yet. >_>

Also the Metal City/Night Chase music oddly reminds me of classic (PlayStation) NFS games.
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline DJ Koopa

Riders opinions
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 12:12:09 am »
I am also looking forward to a Sonic Riders 2 if Sega decides to have one made.
[snapback]10196[/snapback]
They started planning Sonic Riders 2 back in November for the next gen consoles. Yes, Revolution included.
[img width= height=]http://www.cutandpastescripts.com/cgi-bin/randomimages/randomimages.pl?username=Turbos[/img]

Offline qubit

Riders opinions
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 09:37:56 pm »
Overall, though, it's the best game Sonic Team's put out in years. I'll be highly excited if/when Riders 2 is officially announced.
[snapback]10135[/snapback]

Get excited, Rolko XD.

Sonic Team's released a plan for Sonic Riders 2 for a next-gen Revo/X360/PS3 release sometime in the future.
Me: Do you find it odd that CF's top two loves rank last in his Bouncy rankings? x_x
mike89: yes. yes i do.
mike89: but then i find CF odd.
Me: so do I.

The odds of meeting a TSCer randomly on the street, at any given time anywhere in the world, is approximately 15,785,611 to 1 ... and growing.

Offline Rolken

Riders opinions
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 06:43:05 am »
How did I miss this topic o_O Anyway, I've heard about the head developer dude saying something about Riders 2. Having seen too many vague promises broken or rewritten before, I remain skeptical.

Only six mission golds left :o

Offline DJ Koopa

Riders opinions
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 12:27:55 am »
[snapback]10343[/snapback]
You're slow.
[img width= height=]http://www.cutandpastescripts.com/cgi-bin/randomimages/randomimages.pl?username=Turbos[/img]

Offline Buizel

• Stay classy.
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Psyknux
  • win81 mozilla
  • 許しませんっ!
    • View Profile
    • The Faec >:O!!!
Riders opinions
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 01:34:13 pm »
[snapback]10343[/snapback]
You're slow.
[snapback]10361[/snapback]
Hey, that's an insult to some of us. :(

I haven't even started on the "Jet's Mission"s yet, so in total I need 47 golds, but I can't play too often because this game hurts my hands (a LOT). In fact, I have all kinds of bumps and sores all over my hands because of this game...mostly from being too wild during the 'rotate the control stick until your hands/fingers fall off' sequences.
Hay guiz, I made a table showing how many points each game tracked by TSC is worth. You should go see it.
Also v2.0 of my TSC calculator is available to use. You should totally use it.
I update these every Monday around 2:30pm GMT.

Offline DJ Koopa

Riders opinions
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 03:49:51 pm »
Hey, that's an insult to some of us. :(
[snapback]10380[/snapback]
Don't hate me 'cause you ain't me. :P

I can't play too often because this game hurts my hands (a LOT). In fact, I have all kinds of bumps and sores all over my hands because of this game...mostly from being too wild during the 'rotate the control stick until your hands/fingers fall off' sequences.
[snapback]10380[/snapback]
You're doing it too fast. The game only registers 4.7 rotations per second, and if you do it smoothly, your air will go up alot faster than if it's chunky movement.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 03:50:34 pm by Turbos »

Offline sonicam

• TSC's Most Easily Irritated Member
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
Riders opinions
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 03:57:23 pm »
Agh, wtf? You gotta rotate the control stick quickly in this game? Agh, I don't wanna relive the nightmares that was Mario Party 1. :/
Chaos Emeralds: Yellow, Red, Green, Blue and Purple.
Keys: Light Blue.

Click here to level up my card!

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
Riders opinions
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 04:17:47 pm »
Agh, wtf? You gotta rotate the control stick quickly in this game? Agh, I don't wanna relive the nightmares that was Mario Party 1. :/
[snapback]10385[/snapback]

Those were the days...

I remember back when I could never beat Pedal Power. X)

<3 Thorn.

Offline Buizel

• Stay classy.
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Psyknux
  • win81 mozilla
  • 許しませんっ!
    • View Profile
    • The Faec >:O!!!
Riders opinions
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 06:02:39 pm »
You're doing it too fast. The game only registers 4.7 rotations per second, and if you do it smoothly, your air will go up alot faster than if it's chunky movement.
[snapback]10384[/snapback]
I discovered that a few days ago, but my hands haven't recovered yet. X) And I never rotate in chucky movements; it's always smooth no matter how quickly I rotate the control stick (unless almost completely refilling the air tank from near empty at level 3 during a 7-second sequence is normal when doing chunky rotations).

That's one thing I hate about these games: they don't register input quickly enough for my tastes. Sometimes I want to press the buttons really fast in a particular sequence and the game can't process everything quickly enough so something happens that I didn't want to happen. Usually it happens when I'm on a menu screen though, so it's okay...most of the time.

And, just because it bugs me, "alot" is supposed to be two words. :P

You don't have to rotate the control stick (much less quickly) during the automatic sequences. If you do though, your air recovers more quickly and your speed increases, at least up to a maximum that varies by level. For example, during the sequence on Babylon Garden your initial speed is...I think it is 149. Every rotation increases your speed by about 4, up to a maximum of 247.

On a final, unrelated note, I am pro using Rolken's method for comments; i.e., stating character and gear used.
Hay guiz, I made a table showing how many points each game tracked by TSC is worth. You should go see it.
Also v2.0 of my TSC calculator is available to use. You should totally use it.
I update these every Monday around 2:30pm GMT.

Offline DJ Koopa

Riders opinions
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 06:11:43 pm »
Not alot, only once per lap (Two in Green Cave if you use the Power shortcut near the beginning). It lasts anywhere from 5 seconds to 20 seconds. It's not much of a differance in some area, as there's only about a 5-speed differance... and even in Green/White Cave where it's a 1-speed differance. Though, in Babylon Garden, it makes the diferance between going 140-ish and 230-ish for 15 seconds. Other than that, it's all racing speed.

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Riders opinions
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 09:34:56 am »
I've seen several times where an AI botches things badly and falls far behind for the remainder of the race - in one amusing instance, an Eggman icon careened far away from the track and disappeared way off the map.

That happened to me yesterday.  I was on Sand Ruins and Wave kept falling off the edge.  I even lapped her!

no E-series

Actually, there are two E-10000 series robots you can unlock.

Riders opinions
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2006, 09:13:18 pm »
I got the game 2 days ago, and I'm impressed greatly. The game is great.

Whenever you go to any course, there are shortcuts utilizing your character's abilities. However, each ability for each class is evened out so you won't get an advantage for using any class. I still have 5 more characters to unlock, and I'll post more when I feel awake.

Print

Hits: 121 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.16 MB | Time: 1.31s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.