don't click here

Is video-making legal?

Print

Author Topic: Is video-making legal?  (Read 7232 times)

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
  • the fine young doctor is headed this way.
    • View Profile
Is video-making legal?
« on: April 08, 2006, 05:15:55 pm »
I'm just wondering if making videos of VGs is actually legal or not considering the fact that it's copyrighted content.

(If the answer is actually yes, I request an explanation.)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 02:50:15 pm by PsyBorg »
This signature was typed on a #@^%ING COMPUTER. Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate Sony and / or Bidoofs.

Offline Rolken

Is video-making legal?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 05:53:31 pm »
That's an interesting question.

It seems the answer is, nobody knows. Check this article out, the test part in particular; speedruns fall neatly in the grey area.

Of course, realistically, nobody would sue over it. Technically fan sites using official art is illegal too.
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
Is video-making legal?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 06:18:30 pm »
I don't know how it is in the States, but over here we have "fair use" clauses which say you can use a certain amount of content (can't remember the figure but it's like a couple of percent) for things that don't negatively impact the original product (it was originally brought in so literature could be quoted).

Not that anyone would sue speedrun makers if they've any sense; communities surrounding games is marketing you can't buy.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline qubit

Is video-making legal?
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 07:25:01 pm »
The Canadian system has an obscure loophole concerning multimedia: if a copyrighted image is modified in any way, shape or form, or is combined with other copyrighted images, it is legally considered a "piece of art" and therefore said artist is not eligible to be sued for copyright infringement.

This was meant to legalize "contemporary" art which sometimes uses copyrighted images to express opinions, and luckily for Canuck TAers, changing ANYTHING in our TA vids (even something like quality or framerate) legally makes the clip a piece of art (albeit a moving piece of art).
Me: Do you find it odd that CF's top two loves rank last in his Bouncy rankings? x_x
mike89: yes. yes i do.
mike89: but then i find CF odd.
Me: so do I.

The odds of meeting a TSCer randomly on the street, at any given time anywhere in the world, is approximately 15,785,611 to 1 ... and growing.

Offline Crowbar

Is video-making legal?
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 07:29:41 am »
Speedruns as art?

I'm down with that.

Offline CosmicFalcon

Is video-making legal?
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 07:35:57 am »
When it comes down to it, hardly anyone really knows shit about copyright laws. I mean it's like "omg I am make a website, better put a legal disclaimer on it so no one steals my stuff". gg. "Oho I have illegal content. Better put a legal disclaimer on it so that it is legal." gg. "PR0NLOL". gg.

Yeah whatever I digress.
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
Is video-making legal?
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 09:58:52 pm »
Video game review sites such as gamespot and IGN have videos of video games as part of their "gameplay footage" sections, so it is most likely legal. What makes law suits likely is whether money is made from stuff like this or not.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Re: Is video-making legal?
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 01:09:28 pm »
As far as I know, as long as you don't gain any profit for it, its alright.
Here I stand on a pile of broken promises, left with nothing but a broken heart and an empty bank account.

Print

Hits: 228 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.05 MB | Time: 0.07s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.