don't click here

New Competition Suggestions

Print

Author Topic: New Competition Suggestions  (Read 420643 times)

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
Re: New Competition Suggestions
« Reply #450 on: December 14, 2006, 06:19:25 pm »
Yeah but you dont got Sonic PS3.

And how far apart were the PS3/360 release dates? Less than a month? No way did Sonic Team fix anything >_>
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #451 on: December 15, 2006, 06:10:47 pm »
Nice F-Man. Do tell us what the diff's are and hope you enjoy the game as much as you did the 360 version if not more.
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 15, 2006, 08:35:14 pm »
The PS3 version of Sonic 06 was supposedly delayed until January 30.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline F-Man

« Reply #453 on: December 16, 2006, 03:55:20 am »
The PS3 version of Sonic 06 was supposedly delayed until January 30.
Oh please, can we stay as an intelligent community who doesn't get into this crap as long as the official release isn't changed?

If and when the delay gets confirmed, I'll officially give up the idea of "waiting".

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 16, 2006, 11:43:14 am »

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #455 on: December 16, 2006, 11:54:35 am »
^^ It's on Sonic Stadium too, y'know.

I'm leaning towards siding with F-Man but I don't see what the big deal is unless you're the one that's waiting for the game. Otherwise, don't make an issue over it. And FM's right, if it's confirmed, then you an start complaining. :P

But I digress.
Any new info regarding Competition for06? I'm still waiting on Shadow Wedge for info on Rivals but he's taking a little too long. I may just send it along with 06 w/o his advice since I tihnk everything's pretty much done with now.
Wiiloveit

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 16, 2006, 01:06:18 pm »
Although I have no information for Rivals competition, I suggest the next move in terms of research should be to find any potential issues that need to be dealt with in terms of rulings.

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #457 on: December 16, 2006, 01:48:21 pm »
Although I have no information for Rivals competition, I suggest the next move in terms of research should be to find any potential issues that need to be dealt with in terms of rulings.

Only rules:

*Stats for Sonic, Knuckles, Shadow and Silver can be done in Story, Challenge or Cup Circuit Mode.
*Stats for Metal Sonic can only be done in Challenge or Cup Circuit Mode. 
*You are allowed to use the costumes for any of your runs.
Wiiloveit

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 16, 2006, 01:57:55 pm »
I do believe that Swedge and mike proposed a unidivision for the characters a la SR/Drift due to them all being virtually identical.

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #459 on: December 16, 2006, 02:29:16 pm »
I do believe that Swedge and mike proposed a unidivision for the characters a la SR/Drift due to them all being virtually identical.

Oh, kinda like what we did with the Special Stage proposals. Well, I'm only partly supportive of that.

I say, for character divisions, they should be:

Sonic
Knuckles/Shadow/Silver
Metal Sonic

It is debatable, though, that Metal Sonic could be combined with the others or even Sonic and it's also debtable that Shadow could, possibly, have his own division because of the speed difference between him, Silver and Knuckles.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 03:56:51 pm by knuckles_sonic8 »
Wiiloveit

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #460 on: December 19, 2006, 04:18:24 pm »
I think we should think about finalizing these division lists so we can submit 'em to Rolken. It would be nice to have them up when submissions are back up on the site so we can kill two birds with one stone, in a way.
Is everything set to go for 06, then?
For Rivals, the only thing is that I have decided that sub-divisions per character, there would be three:
-> Sonic/Metal Sonic
-> Knuckles/Silver
->Shadow

Other than that, Rivals is pretty much done to me.
Wiiloveit

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #461 on: December 22, 2006, 03:17:27 pm »
Slightly important post:

Rivals is ALL done guys. I resolved everything!
So, what's the news on 06. Is it set to go?

I'm anxious to show Rolken the lists. So let me know if there's anything left to be resolved for 06 and if there's anything I can do.
Wiiloveit

Offline F-Man

« Reply #462 on: December 23, 2006, 11:53:02 pm »
One more thing I'd like to set for Sonic The Hedgehog rankings:

What's the best order to sort bosses?

3 choices:

• as they are in the game menus, starting with Sonic's.
  • As SL suggested, grouped together by type
  • By storyline order (if I'm not mistaken, this would put Iblis 1 as the first boss)

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 24, 2006, 12:47:42 pm »
By storyline order, Iblis 1 is much further in the future than anything else bar perhaps Iblis 3 :P

Unless of course Im being a total retard and wrongly misinterpreting "storyline order" as "chonological order of events"

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 24, 2006, 12:59:49 pm »
Since there is a precedent from SA:DX going on, my vote is for option 2. I think we should the following ruling as a precautionary measure.
-Time Division: You must play through all characters used in a given stage. For example, in Kingdom Valley, you'll have to use Sonic, then go through Silver's segment, then go through Sonic's mach speed segment. There is a precedent for this ruling in the Sonic Adventure 2 competition rules since both the precedent and the proposed rule deal with a somewhat similar glitch in which you can potentially clear a stage without playing as all the characters.
-Speaking of rulings, since the submissions are back up, now's the perfect time to contact Rolken about the gem ruling debate. Once again, I'll post the argument summary for quick access.
-Arguments for restricting gems: Deciding on which gems should be allowed should be done on a case by case basis. If it weren't for Sonic's custom gauge not working properly (i.e. does not decrease when a gem power is used) all of the gems would be fine for use in competition. The purple gem should not be allowed because the busted gauge allows for infinite jumps, something you would expect to see from a game shark code (moon jump codes as they are called). This gem would have its worst effects in Kingdom Valley, Flame Core, and Aquatic Base. The Yellow Gem should not be allowed in boss fights since the busted gauge allows the player to always have a blue shield like ability on. This would cause Sonic to be effectively immortal during boss battles (like a game shark invincibity code), removing any skill in boss battle ring competitions. The blue gem is fine since that takes skill to avoid something bad happening to you while using it.
-Arguments against restricting gems: Gems were intended with competition in mind. (Point agreed upon by both sides.) Could result in interesting competition if used correctly. Only Sonic can use them.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: December 24, 2006, 01:05:13 pm »
The infinite shield point for Boss' is completely irrelevant.

For when you take a hit, you dont have the brief period of invincibility, thus you can get owned very easily.

As for the Purple gem, Ive so far found two places* in the entire game where its useful for TAing, so there really isnt an issue about it being abused too much

*One cuts almost all of a level, the other saves maybe a few seconds.....in retrospect it might not save anything as you have to stop using the red gem temporarily.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 12:36:06 pm by RPG »

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 24, 2006, 01:16:14 pm »
-You can counter the second hit most of the time by constantly button mashing R with the yellow gem equipped. However, I've found that the shield does nothing against missiles while playing Aquatic Base.
-In regards to the purple gem, which stage can it be used to cut almost the entire level?
-Does the red gem really slow down the clock or is it a myth? If so, then by how much. If it does slow down the clock, then wouldn't that be the equivalent of a permanent X (X= strength of time slow effect if it exists) strength team blast gltich effect.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: December 24, 2006, 01:20:42 pm »
The yellow gem shield wont work for things that have residual damage, like missiles, spikes, lava etc

For the purple gem, White Acropolis

And yeah, Red slows down the whole game by about 50% and Sonic by about 25% for as long as RT is held. Although I note that if you pause while holding it, then unpause while still holding, you have to let go of RT and press and hold again for it to take effect.

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #468 on: December 24, 2006, 04:32:50 pm »
F-Man, I agree with SL. Option 2.
Wiiloveit

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 26, 2006, 04:08:43 pm »
I guess the purple gem and yellow gem were not as powerful as I once thought they were. Due to this, I'm changing my mind regarding the use of the purple gem. However, I still think there should be a "You must play as every character in the stage" rule for time division, just like the one used for Cannon's Core. Couldn't you also use it in Aquatic Base to save some time in the giant silver ball section and sections where you have to attack silver balls to progress?

Offline F-Man

« Reply #470 on: December 26, 2006, 05:17:07 pm »
I now remember why I preferred when these things were settled in the secret elite board.

Also thanks for the input on bosses guys, that was actually sensible, especially that comment about SA sorting them by type. As I've said yesterday in the channel, I believe rankings are ready, just awaiting Rolken now...

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 26, 2006, 05:21:37 pm »
You cant move forward very quickly with the purple gem, thus it'd probably be faster just to stay on the silver balls.

Also yeah, CC style ruling on stages sounds fair to me

Offline F-Man

« Reply #472 on: December 26, 2006, 06:04:57 pm »
Skipping character changes is okay.

I don't really know about SA2, except that it's totally different. Each character is a different stage. In this game, you're merely skipping the trigger to change characters, or using a shortcut (I recall skipping Silver in Shadow's Aquatic Base without using any bugs on my first playthrough. Oh yeah and my cousin did the same, except in FC-Sonic).
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 06:56:39 pm by F-Man »

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 26, 2006, 10:45:22 pm »
Sometimes the character change is considered a different stage in its own right (any instance where you go through a long loading screen before the switch, like the switch to Omega in Wave Ocean). I don't know what route was used to get sub 3 on Crisis City (Silver) but I think it might be possible to tele-fling (should be legal by the way) so that you skip Blaze's section of the stage. The comparison between character switches and CC is based on two things. 1. The same net result of getting a fast time by skipping the sections where you have to use a different character is achieved. 2. In both Sonic 06 and SA2, character skipping is achieved (usually) through the same means (exploiting a bug). For the sake of consistency, the CC style ruling should be in place regardless of the means used to skip character switches and because there is a precedent for it in the SA2 rules.

Offline F-Man

« Reply #474 on: December 26, 2006, 10:54:18 pm »
You have to consider that the rule for SA2 is in effect to prevent a certain technique from being used. Whereas in Sonic '06, doing this accounts as normal shortcuts.

Our goal is to achieve levels as fast as possible, there are times where exceptions need to be applied, but this is far from the case here.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 27, 2006, 07:51:47 am »
Sometimes the character change is considered a different stage in its own right (any instance where you go through a long loading screen before the switch, like the switch to Omega in Wave Ocean). I don't know what route was used to get sub 3 on Crisis City (Silver) but I think it might be possible to tele-fling (should be legal by the way) so that you skip Blaze's section of the stage. The comparison between character switches and CC is based on two things. 1. The same net result of getting a fast time by skipping the sections where you have to use a different character is achieved. 2. In both Sonic 06 and SA2, character skipping is achieved (usually) through the same means (exploiting a bug). For the sake of consistency, the CC style ruling should be in place regardless of the means used to skip character switches and because there is a precedent for it in the SA2 rules.

In retrospect, I have to say I agree with effy now :X

Although I am basing my PoV change a fair amount on the fact that sometimes you can just run right passed the other characters in the levels and nothing happens, Ive had this happen in FC-Sonic, KV-Sonic....and some level I forget as Shadow once, to name a few

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 28, 2006, 09:04:23 pm »
There is one general rule issue we should address for the future. In this generation of games that contain downloadable content, there is one thing that could create some deal of chaos in terms of competition; patches. Say for example that the original version of some Sonic game down the road has some trick, glitch, or other thing that benefits TAing. What if by some slim chance, a downloadable patch comes along that fixes the glitch, disabling the advantage gained from it. What should we do? It's a much more complicated issue that can't easily be settled by using a Dream Cast vs Game Cube analogy because it is the same system version of the same game. Do we allow any version of the game (1.0, 1.1, etc), or should we have a rule that requires that players have the most up to date patches for the game?

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 29, 2006, 10:18:16 am »
Downloadable content is ruled out for competition, and so therefore, would be patches, methinks

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #478 on: December 29, 2006, 04:27:51 pm »
Preventing people from updating their game to the most current version sounds pretty dumb to me. :/ So people have to be outdated to be able to compete?

What's the reasoning behind that ruling?

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 29, 2006, 05:02:06 pm »
SA1 had downloadable content, as I recall Effy wanted it added and SM was like lolno, and then I remember a while ago SM mentioning downloadable content would not be up for competition.

Even if there is a patch released I wont be getting it due to lack of XBL

Print

Hits: 382 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.17 MB | Time: 0.16s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.