don't click here

StH2 time attack: Aquatic 1 and Death egg (others added!)

Print

Author Topic: StH2 time attack: Aquatic 1 and Death egg (others added!)  (Read 4289 times)

Offline stanski

StH2 time attack: Aquatic 1 and Death egg (others added!)
« on: August 11, 2006, 08:12:27 pm »
Alright, I'm working on some individual level times for posting over a SDA (with the hopes of getting good enough to attempt a single segment eventually as well). 2 levels are really bugging me at the moment:
Aquatic 1: How the hell is 20 second possible? A ton more spindashes than I'm doing? Perfect timing getting to the speed boost? Some other shortcut I'm missing? I can get 28 seconds, but thats a lot of time missing from the real record.

Death egg: from the time, I'm assuming somone has gotten 11 hits in on the big bad guy. For anyone that does it, is it just pure skill, going from hitting the rocket pack to hitting him in the butt? I personally can get ten by: 2 hits on but when rising, one hit on butt when legs together, 4 on jet pack, then 3 on butt while rising. Do i have to somehow fit another butt shot into the 4 jet pack hits or what? Is this ridiculously hard, because it seems like it is (getting 10 requires maybe 19 or 20 tries... plus consider the perfect spindashing that I try to get, and I only get 50 seconds once every 30 times, and I still can't get 49).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 07:54:40 pm by stanski »

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
Re: StH2 time attack: Aquatic 1 and Death egg
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 09:43:43 pm »
For starters, I believe we've called BS on AR1 on the basis that it's very likely not possible without using an autofire function in an emulator (using autofire or slowdown features of emulators is illegal by TSC standards).

The 48 on Death Egg has also been proven false because the last hit was obtained at 48, as opposed to the screen fading. You'll probably have to ask mike89 (currently known as yse) about the strat for 49; I personally suck at Death Egg.

(To Rolk/SM/Sprint: Why haven't those been suspended again?)
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline stanski

Re: StH2 time attack: Aquatic 1 and Death egg (others added!)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 07:58:58 pm »
Ok, now that makes a little more sense, but 22 or 23 seconds is still way faster than i'm getting on aquatic 1.

Now how about chemical plant zone 2 and wing fortress? I am getting 1:08 at best on chemical plant, and i'm a good 12 seconds slower in wing fortress. Any tips guys? I've looked at the video for wing fortress, and i'm pretty much using the same tactics, just slower on the boss. But there is no video for chemical plant 2. Help!

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 09:38:54 pm »
Have you watched the TAS?  It's pretty informative about where you can pick up time throughout the game.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline stanski

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 03:18:52 am »
Sure have seen the TAS, and I did forget one little part of aquatic zone. Got 26 seconds, but 25 or 24 is definately possible. I don't know how those other times are possible though...

I'm wondering in death egg whether it would be possible to get 49 with just 10 hits if your spindashes were efficient enough. If you do every spindash really well, it comes really really close, but usually is just a fraction off 49 (this is including hitting the spindash after silver sonic when the screen scrolls perfect, which is really hard to do).

And is what they did in chemical plant 2 in the tas possible in a speedrun?

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 04:00:44 am »
I got 49 with a 10-2 strat. I can't see what makes it so difficult.

CP2 is possible, a few people have pulled it off in real time, I'm almost ashamed to say I'm not one of them.

<3 Thorn.

Offline stanski

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 04:48:26 am »
I got 49 with a 10-2 strat. I can't see what makes it so difficult.

CP2 is possible, a few people have pulled it off in real time, I'm almost ashamed to say I'm not one of them.

It would be absolutely awesome to be able to get that on cp2 on video, i'm working on it using an emulator to practice and i can get it at 50%... but not 100%.

For death egg, i suppose its my spindashing.  I wish i could just plug in a keyboard and use that instead because i suck with a genesis controller, I'm going to look around for a better alternative.

Just pulled a 25 on aqZ1, i was very close to 24. Still don't see how i could shave 2 more seconds off this time at all, unless jumping straight to the speedshoe and landing on it is required for it (ridiculously hard for me to pull off). I'm really starting to like speedrunning this game, i can't wait until i can work on putting levels together for a ss (before i do, need a lot more practice on metropolis, oil ocean 2, and cn2. those levels all suck). Thanks for the help so far guys!

Print

Hits: 104 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.01 MB | Time: 0.10s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.