don't click here

Possible future idea: TSC Video Collection DVDs

Print

Author Topic: Possible future idea: TSC Video Collection DVDs  (Read 5198 times)

Offline SadisticMystic

Possible future idea: TSC Video Collection DVDs
« on: October 25, 2006, 12:07:08 pm »
I recently acquired a DVD burner drive, and was thinking of ways to put it to use.  After a bit of thought, I stumbled across this.

Imagine a TSC collaboration to produce DVDs containing the best runs that have been put on the site over the years.  If you played a role somehow (whether it's layout, artwork, or just being the one who played some of the runs that got chosen) you could even walk away with some money from it!  How cool is that?

The plan is to have a menu divided into submenus for each game represented, and from there you'll be able to browse the videos that have been chosen for that game.  I'll try to get as many runs as will fit on the DVD.  Highly-regarded runs such as those from the Top 10 would make the cut, but 1) videos without sound shouldn't be eligible (disqualifying my old 2D videos, including CN2 which made #2 on the list) and 2) I'd prefer if only direct recordings of the screen where included (which would sadly rule out F-Man's videos in their current form, which were done with a camera aimed at a TV).

The drive I have is LightScribe-compatible, so with the appropriate discs I can just burn in a label.  However, I don't do much graphical work so I'd have no idea what to make for the label layout.  If you're interested in seeing this go through and have ideas for that, bring them up.

Because DVDs aren't free to make and come by, we'll end up charging some undetermined amount.  The money will be divided up among those who had a part in putting it together: I'd take some for putting together and shipping the discs, whoever designs the logo will get some, anyone who can think of something else to go into these might get a cut for their contribution, and the players of the chosen videos will get the rest (probably based on the amount of runs of theirs that get chosen, though I haven't decided whether to count based on number of runs or total length thereof.)

What do you think of this idea?  Do you have designs that could be used for the labels or menus?  How much would you think is a reasonable price for the DVDs?  If you have videos here, would you let them be included or not?  Answer what you can; that's why I asked.

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
Re: Possible future idea: TSC Video Collection DVDs
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 02:12:19 pm »
I recently acquired a DVD burner drive, and was thinking of ways to put it to use.  After a bit of thought, I stumbled across this.

Imagine a TSC collaboration to produce DVDs containing the best runs that have been put on the site over the years.  If you played a role somehow (whether it's layout, artwork, or just being the one who played some of the runs that got chosen) you could even walk away with some money from it!  How cool is that?

The plan is to have a menu divided into submenus for each game represented, and from there you'll be able to browse the videos that have been chosen for that game.  I'll try to get as many runs as will fit on the DVD.  Highly-regarded runs such as those from the Top 10 would make the cut, but 1) videos without sound shouldn't be eligible (disqualifying my old 2D videos, including CN2 which made #2 on the list) and 2) I'd prefer if only direct recordings of the screen where included (which would sadly rule out F-Man's videos in their current form, which were done with a camera aimed at a TV).

The drive I have is LightScribe-compatible, so with the appropriate discs I can just burn in a label.  However, I don't do much graphical work so I'd have no idea what to make for the label layout.  If you're interested in seeing this go through and have ideas for that, bring them up.

Because DVDs aren't free to make and come by, we'll end up charging some undetermined amount.  The money will be divided up among those who had a part in putting it together: I'd take some for putting together and shipping the discs, whoever designs the logo will get some, anyone who can think of something else to go into these might get a cut for their contribution, and the players of the chosen videos will get the rest (probably based on the amount of runs of theirs that get chosen, though I haven't decided whether to count based on number of runs or total length thereof.)

What do you think of this idea?  Do you have designs that could be used for the labels or menus?  How much would you think is a reasonable price for the DVDs?  If you have videos here, would you let them be included or not?  Answer what you can; that's why I asked.
Here's what I've got in terms of ideas.
1. Any of the videos that are red or higher should be considered. (To save space on the disks.)
2. For the 3D game DVDs, we could use screen shots from CG cut scenes for chapter markers and for the disk label. For the on-screen backgrounds in the menus of 2D and 3D games, we could use some exceptionally cool looking game play screen shots. (I'll go look for some cool screen shots on the internet.)
3. We should try to merge as many of the games with 10 or less videos into one disk and have the chapters reflect the game represented in it. (Sonic Battle would get its own chapter for example.)
4. For the Shadow DVD, we could use the CG image of Shadow using Chaos Blast on GUN troops as the label (will need to get just the right screen shot), a CG image of Black Doom (I know where I can get a good one) for the dark mission sub menu, CG of Sonic or the GUN Commander for the Hero sub menu, and a CG image of Eggman for the normal sub menu.
5. For Sonic Adventure, I think we should divide the sub menus in this fashion. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Gamma, Big (we don't have any Big vids, just using it as an example), boss battles, and mini games. We should use a similar scheme for all of the other games where appropriate (by team in SH, etc.).

Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline SadisticMystic

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 02:26:20 pm »
The way I had this planned, there wouldn't be "a Shadow DVD, a Sonic Adventure DVD, etc.;" there would just be one that holds all the games.  This will make it difficult to decide what goes on the disc (there's a lot more than 2 hours worth of videos across the site), but hopefully it'll be the best of the best.

Offline sonicam

• TSC's Most Easily Irritated Member
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 03:41:47 pm »
Hmm, if it's CD design, maybe something simple, like showing Sonic spindashing, it could do right in the center of the disc. Or maybe we have have all the Sonic characters, like some of the pics showed in Sonic Heroes or SA2B (I think this pic is also similar or the same as the one on one of the SA2B official soundtracks, copywrite issues?).
Chaos Emeralds: Yellow, Red, Green, Blue and Purple.
Keys: Light Blue.

Click here to level up my card!

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 04:32:32 pm »
How much memory can we store on this DVD?
I think how we design the menus should depend on the number of videos representing each game. For the question of menus, I have two ideas.
Plan A: If the video representation of each game is quite small, (less than 6-8 videos per specific game), we should have the menus divided up into a 2D, 3D, and other (Sonic Battle, Sonic R, Sonic Riders, etc.) chapter.
Plan B: If the video representation of enough games is of moderate size, then that game should have it's own chapter within the DVD. (i.e. a chapter dedicated to Sonic 1, Sonic 2, SA:DX, SA:2B, SAdv, etc.) For games with very few videos, we can lump them all in one chapter as in Plan A.
Note: Before we can get started with chapter structure and designs, we should try to get a consensus on what videos are going to be in the DVD.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 06:15:25 pm »
Is it legal to charge money for things containing media from creations that aren't yours?

I'd imagine no.

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 06:48:14 pm »
Then what, pray tell, is Red vs Blue?

As for the price, it really depends how much the dvd's themselves cost at a store. I guess $10 for a 10 pack is a standard price...maybe $3 a dvd? The problem here, however, is "royalties", or really just a way to thank the contributors. $5 plus shipping and handling wouldn't be a stretch then; if someone was interested in getting the dvd of the videos, they wouldn't care if they would pay a few dollars extra and might even expect it.

Obviously, we'll burn them on a per order basis, and perhaps allow for requests; if someone doesn't care about anything but Sonic 2, we might only give them the elligible Sonic 2 vids (and not tell them how much more they can have, mind you).

Perhaps we could offer some overpriced deluxe set, which has a few dvd's, containing a good portion of TSC's noteworthy videos. Factoring in the manpower (which is having SM take time out of his schedule to burn everything) needed for this, $15 plus shipping and handling doesn't seem unreasonable, to be spread based on total contributions and perhaps setting something aside for the site itself.

And who can forget the group playthroughs? If enough of these get done, we could make a dvd out of them and sell it for people who want to see how TSC casually plays.

As for the label design...showing Sonic in a spindash seems good enough, perhaps with an arbitrary label like "TSC's Greatest Videos". Someone should create a mockup.

Thoughts?

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 01:59:23 am »
Heh, I remember when SDA did these. I think one guy's trying to do a similar thing over there again: see this link.

If any of my videos make the cut (which, to be honest, I'm not sure if they do any more), you can definitely use them, and you can definitely pay me for using them. X)

I won't be able to do a lot on the design part because, well, design isn't exactly my thing. I will make the blatantly obvious suggestion of, for games with, say, six or seven levels, to use one act from each level (*COUGH*somebodydolabyrinth*COUGH*), if the DVD is going to permit that many. Obviously for something like SA2B that doesn't work, so we just pick the very best, or something. Not that that wasn't the purpose of the exercise anyway.

<3 Thorn.

Offline Taco

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC: NintenDan
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nintendan
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 04:20:29 am »
Quote from: soniham
Hmm, if it's CD design, maybe something simple, like showing Sonic spindashing, it could do right in the center of the disc. Or maybe we have have all the Sonic characters, like some of the pics showed in Sonic Heroes or SA2B (I think this pic is also similar or the same as the one on one of the SA2B official soundtracks, copywrite issues?)

My sonic CD CD (omg) resembles what you are talking about pretty closely, except he's in a tucked roll position instead of a charged up spindash, but it still looks pretty cool.

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 08:36:15 am »
Since I have no vids, and my graphical design skills are limited, I shall contribute by means of ideas off the top of my head.

Audio commentary? Get the TAers to talk the viewer through their run. Perhaps maybe just subtitle commentary, that'd probably take up less disc space than audio tracks too.

Introduction video clip? Possibly a bit superfluous, anybody who buys the DVD more than likely is familiar with TSC and knows a fair bit about time attacking... but then maybe they don't.

Er... perhaps... interactive secret hidden super bonus minigame!
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • It's me! In all my polygonal glory! ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Mark's Site Thingy- 3-D graphics and game info
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 05:10:23 pm »
How about new pictures? I can probably do drawings (they'd have to be shaded by someone else)
or CG renders* for some characters or environments or something.

*Remember that Amy model? Imagine her with better colour, fewer glitches, no flat shading,
and slightly improved proportions. Also, I might do Sonic, although I'm still trying to figure out
exactly how to make his head and all those spikes without any seams or other problems.
EDIT: Here, you can see what Sonic's head is like so far. The main problem is that the spikes can
only go in one direction without bending (like in the Saturn games).

What would be done about the video quality? Some of us can send bigger videos,
but others (like me) only have cameras and make videos that look even worse when not compressed.

An introduction might be good. So would the commentary. And can there be a second SA disc just for random glitches? :D

One more thing: Is it legal? I don't know if Crowbar meant using images (that's not a problem),
but making gameplay videos could also be illegal.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 06:29:47 pm by Marth »
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Print

Hits: 126 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.10 MB | Time: 0.10s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.