don't click here

Even the OLD new sonic games suck

Print

Author Topic: Even the OLD new sonic games suck  (Read 37178 times)

Offline Rolken

Even the OLD new sonic games suck
« on: October 15, 2006, 09:15:18 pm »
Watch and weep. They've somehow managed to edit Sonic 1 GBA to bring it up to date with the rest of the series, adding such features as a crappy framerate and glitchy broken physics. And it's supposedly 95% complete. Heavens help us.

Addendum: Please, no one support this kind of shameless abuse of Sonic. Sega has constantly been pushing the bar in the degree of greed and apathy towards quality with which they "develop" their games, and at some point there has to be something said against it. If it remains in the current state, I do not intend to create rankings for it; to have such a mockery of decent Sonic games on our rankings is abominable. There's plenty of fan-made Sonic 1 hacks out there with spindashing that are of far better quality.

Addendum pt2: It's worth noting that the rape doesn't end with destroying the physics and framerate. There was a video on cult (toward the end) of the GHZ boss, which has been completely nerfed; the boss no longer swings in sync with his movements, so it's now safe to just stand on the platforms and attack when Eggman approaches for the first four swings or so. And in another trick from the Sonic next-gen book, Sonic falls through a platform at one point. Totally unacceptable.
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Re: Even the OLD new sonic games suck
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 09:17:41 pm »
Well, hopefully they fix those problems before they finish the other supposed 5%.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 09:58:24 pm »
I support your cause, Rolko.  It's a toned-down Sonic Jam copy of Sonic 1.
*plays Sonic 1 Megamix again*
God, I can't wait for this to be finished.  You weren't kidding, the hackers are better at it.  It's a shame, really.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline Taco

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC: NintenDan
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nintendan
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 03:23:19 am »
I guess I wont be competing in Sonic 1 after all :(

Offline X-5

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 09:01:00 am »
I agree that looks terrible, the slow bounce speed sucks.

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 02:10:52 pm »
Guys, I don't think it's physics. It's slowdown. Look at the timer.

Still inexcusable, but not quite as baffling.

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 04:43:26 pm »
I guess I wont be competing in Sonic 1 after all :(
Get a rom you dolt. Or Mega Collection. Or use eBay. Or something. I'd give you mine but I like my original copy kthx. :(

Also Rolk you forgot to mention the failure to keep the viewing volume THE SAME SIZE (or similar). You can see the difference between these two shots, just by how much of the loop is viewed.

Original Version (Shot taken by me in Gens)

GBA Version (Courtesy of SEGA)
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline Blitz

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 06:44:10 pm »
Sonic DX was totally messed up. The graphics are too sharp. And Metal Sonic has it lucky. EVERY TIME I GET A GOOD RUN ON RED MOUNTAIN TAILS GRABS A STUPID ROCKET (I have the DC version. I gotta get SA2B and try the stuff SM does) The good old sonic were kinda fun. I remember the first day i tried out debug mode. That was 1 month ago. And the green hill zone was awesome. Stupid Nintendo, messing Sega games up with thier ideas, while having the power of sonic to make up for it.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 06:44:50 pm »
SM is a DC Player, not GC
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 06:51:10 pm »
Nintendo doesn't affect the way Sonic games are made. Sonic games saw a steady decline after the release of Sonic & Knuckles, even though it can be argued that the Adventure series games were well received in their time. When the games were, you know, on Sega's consoles.

Oh and for someone with a picture of Silver as their avatar, you have no right to ridicule (new) Sonic Team.

In closing, get off my internet.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 07:43:08 pm »
All throughout this year, a trend of horrifying remakes of original classics has been born. First we have Bomerman Act Zero, an insult to everything good about Bomberman. Then we have the new Bubble Bobble, a remake full of bugs, including one in which the level 30 boss doesn't appear, making it impossible to get past level 30 (out of 100). Will this be the third strike? Only time will tell. On the bright side, at least you're not being forced to play MMX6. That right there is a true abomination, consisting of level design so horrible that some stages (particullary the Gate stages) are impossible to clear unless you use a specific form, and bosses in which the intended weakness doesn't work because they failed to play test its lair.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 07:43:55 pm »
When you said crappy frame rate you weren't joking.
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline Rolken

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 08:40:56 pm »
Guys, I don't think it's physics. It's slowdown. Look at the timer.

It's both. When Sonic reorients while "running" in the air he jolts around slightly, and his interaction with all the level objects is wonky, culminating with the straight-from-Advance-3 death from pushing against a moving block.

As for the screen size shrinkage, it's unfortunate, but I'm more willing to forgive that as something has to go when you reduce the screen size from 320x224 to 240x160 and the only alternative is to create new art for the entire game.

Edit-
All throughout this year, a trend of horrifying remakes of original classics has been born. [etc]
Wow, that's awful. I heard about Bomberman, but I didn't know about the other, even worse bastardizations.

Edit 2- stuff merged into FP.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 08:58:15 pm by Rolken »

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 09:03:15 pm »
All I can say is the final product had better make that 5% count.
I don't want to see this opportunity for a good port go bad.
Never forget who you are.
DeviantART account: (link)

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2006, 09:10:58 pm »
All I can say is the final product had better make that 5% count.
I don't want to see this opportunity for a good port go bad.
I agree.
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 12:08:14 am »
One-liner :(

Oh God, I just saw the video. SOMEBODY STOP IT. YOU CAN'T EVEN SEE ALL OF HIM. D:

Yeah, it's (more) official. Sonic 1 on Genesis has about 10,000,000 points better than "Sonic the Hedgehog 'Genesis.'"
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 04:15:00 am »
This is the kind of quality I'd expect from the Sonic 1 mobile handset port. As in from what little I've seen, that's how the phone game appears to play lol.
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline eggFL

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2006, 06:25:35 am »
We have known for a long time the screen size would have taken a hit. (which is why I lost interest in the game) I don't see how this commotion is justified.

It's almost definitely going to be sped up to normal for the final release. I just don't see it being released as it is.

Bomberman Act Zero is a GOOD GAME. There is literally nothing wrong with it.

Rockman X6 was horrible. (Rockman X7 would have worked as well) Although it wasn't so much that the final stages were basically impossible in certain forms, so much that you couldn't quit a level without getting a game over. (and since game over had no penalty, extra lives were a liability) And there's also the laughable enemy spriting.

Sonic DX was totally messed up. The graphics are too sharp.

Yea! Plus the framerate was WAY too high.

Offline Upthorn

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2006, 06:46:49 am »
We have known for a long time the screen size would have taken a hit. (which is why I lost interest in the game) I don't see how this commotion is justified.
You missed the point.

Quote from: eggFL
It's almost definitely going to be sped up to normal for the final release. I just don't see it being released as it is.
lol

lolwut

Rockman X6 was horrible. (Rockman X7 would have worked as well) Although it wasn't so much that the final stages were basically impossible in certain forms, so much that you couldn't quit a level without getting a game over. (and since game over had no penalty, extra lives were a liability) And there's also the laughable enemy spriting.
wut

Sonic DX was totally messed up. The graphics are too sharp.

Yea! Plus the framerate was WAY too high.
lolwut
Go not to the linguaphiles for help, for they will say both "Yes" and "No" and "That reminds me of an interesting story about long vowels in Upper Sorbian which I must tell you right now..."

Offline Rolken

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2006, 06:48:07 am »
... Dude.

One person took offense to the screen size. There's 18 comments here. That's hardly a commotion.

No. You are wrong. I can say that with absolute certainty despite never having even laid eyes on the thing, simply because everyone hates it. There's one 70% "ok this game is tolerable" review out of *37*. Games with nothing wrong are not universally hated.

Seriously, man.

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2006, 07:41:20 am »
Can't say I'm surprised.  Sonic Team's attitude to continued sales of old-skool multipacks and whatnot and poor reception to their current games has always ignore the latter and continue to whore off the former, rather than make any attempt to understand why the originals are so good and use that to make good new games.  It's a shame because given the coverage of Sonic 06 there's clearly still a market for Sonic, if only they could make a game that was halfway decent.

However, if (when) they release this turdfest, it'll at least be interesting to see what ridiculous defence Egg will come up with for it.  I'm taking a book; current favourite is "Pretend flaws don't exist" at evens, with "Patronise anyone who dislikes the game" at 2-1 and "Aggressively denounce non-fanboys" at 3-1.  Outside punt of "This shows you old-skool was rubbish so the new games must be awesome" at 10-1.  Any takers?
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2006, 10:27:54 am »
I put my foot in his mouth before he can say a damn thing: dead cert.

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2006, 12:37:58 pm »
Although 2006 is the year of remakes as I said earlier, to be honest it actually started out on a positive note with the release to Maverick Hunter X and MM: Powered up, two excellent remakes for the PSP. Then the other abominations were released. Here's to hoping this new Sonic remake actually turns out good in the end.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2006, 12:40:21 pm »
for the PSP.

That completely murdered your post.

* RPG shot
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2006, 02:26:32 pm »
OH MY GOD RPG YOUR AVATAR IS FUCKING AWESOME HOLY FUCKING JESUS SHIT

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2006, 02:31:13 pm »
second'd

Offline Blitz

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2006, 05:54:41 pm »
I meant SA2 sorry

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • It's me! In all my polygonal glory! ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Mark's Site Thingy- 3-D graphics and game info
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2006, 08:25:49 pm »
Addendum: Please, no one support this kind of shameless abuse of Sonic. Sega has constantly been pushing the bar in the degree of greed and apathy towards quality with which they "develop" their games, and at some point there has to be something said against it. If it remains in the current state, I do not intend to create rankings for it; to have such a mockery of decent Sonic games on our rankings is abominable. There's plenty of fan-made Sonic 1 hacks out there with spindashing that are of far better quality.
But it won't matter. Thousands of angry Sonic fans signed petitions to get rid of the 4Kids actors, but did anything happen? No. Those games were very successful (at least in sales).
SEGA can do one stupid thing after another, but people will still buy their games,
either because there's no choice, or because they're kids who want the games because
they have "characters from sonic x" in them. But I agree that... how do I describe it?...
it kind of feels good to bash badly-made games and do extreme and even ridiculous things about them, even if few people know (like my plans to redo some of Riders's acting).

SilvertheAlmighty:  Off-topic, but it's true that Tails can get annoying. I use Metal Sonic for
a few stages, including Sky Deck, because Tails attacks planes to make Sonic float up a bit,
and Lost World, because he randomly presses the 3 switches to change the camera.
My complaint about the graphics is that they don't come close to GameCube quality.
It's a huge leap over the Dreamcast version in some ways, but I would've expected a perfect framerate,
consistent texture quality, and waaaaay more polygons. And waaaaaaaaaaaay better draw distance.
I don't know what you mean by "sharp", though. Polygony, or too much flicker? (Both are true.)

eggFL: 1.  Yeah, the change in screen size was to be expected. Or could it have been
crunched in a bit to just get more pixelated? (If that had happened, it would've looked really bad.
I just tried it, and it makes everything a bit blobby. Also, the zeros all turn into Ds. "TIME D:D1")
2. But GBA is weaker than Genesis! (When SEGA makes the GBA games, that is.) It'd be impossible!
3. Bomberman Act Zero is good because it's on XB360, right?
4. I'm not sure what you meant about SADX's framerate. I thought you said you hadn't seen DX.
Anyway, some people did think the framerate was too high, but there are many more complaints
about how it manages to keep chopping when it's not even displaying much of anything.

douglas: I thought they got good sales on everything. If not, why is Sonic Heroes a
Player's Choice and Platinum Hit, and why did Sonic Riders get into Nintendo Power's sales lists?
Anyway, they should release big collections (I liked Gems, but they could've done better- like
by putting in Chaotix, although I'm already aware that they can't emulate anything),
and good remakes (lots of stuff added, nothing removed, maybe some beta content),
and good new games (by actually listening to the fans for once, or even just hiring some guy
at minimum wage to spend a few hours testing their games and find the obvious flaws).
Just find a good balance that gives most of your old games to all the players at a good price,
and also delivers great new games to everyone- including Nintendo players. How hard can it be?
They haven't done too terribly so far, but they've made a ton of stupid decisions, and
I can't even begin to explain how ridiculously easy it would be to fix the problems.
Oh, and I agree about them not trying to see what people liked about games.
But this will need a whole new thread if we're (or I'm) to complain much more.
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2006, 08:33:05 pm »
it'll at least be interesting to see what ridiculous defence Egg will come up with for it.  I'm taking a book; ... with "Patronise anyone who dislikes the game" at 2-1

That's good odds! $20 on that.

I suggest you add a couple, though:

"Better than Bomberman Act Zero" at 7-2
"Realise what a fool I've been" at 100k-1

<3 Thorn.

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2006, 09:11:08 pm »
Quote from: Marth
Anyway, they should release big collections (I liked Gems, but they could've done better- like by putting in Chaotix, although I'm already aware that they can't emulate anything),and good remakes (lots of stuff added, nothing removed, maybe some beta content), and good new games (by actually listening to the fans for once, or even just hiring some guy at minimum wage to spend a few hours testing their games and find the obvious flaws).

They tried that out with Shadow, remember?

As far as I'm concerned, Sega is a perfect example of a smart business. It lures customers in with good products, and then little by little makes them worse, but not so much that people stop buying them alltogether. Then, it appeals to a younger market, cutting out its original fanbase, who still buy the products in the hope of finding a diamond in the rough. The younger market continues to buy all products having to do with the brand name, and the older market limits its spending to select products. Then, Sega shells out low-quality and easy to produce products that resemble the original, appealing to the awkward middle ground between its two userbases, eventually selling both out for an even younger demographic. This continues until the inevitable meteor strike.

"But I'll still get '06 and Secret Rings anyways".

From a business standpoint, Sega is a genius. From a personal standpoint, they're ruthless.

I HOPE YOU DO

Print

Hits: 951 | Hits This Month: 5 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.39 MB | Time: 0.11s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.