don't click here

Even the OLD new sonic games suck

Print

Author Topic: Even the OLD new sonic games suck  (Read 37185 times)

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • It's me! In all my polygonal glory! ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Mark's Site Thingy- 3-D graphics and game info
Re: Even the OLD new sonic games suck
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2006, 09:29:02 pm »
No, they didn't. Well, I guess they did... sort of, if you mean putting in a popular character,
changing the attitude, and fixing the rail-switching... but I've heard the controls are overall
just as bad as ever, and the game is just as flawed as Heroes or anything else.
I mean, like getting someone to just come in and say, "I didn't like Heroes because the
controls were really bad and because the team thing was a dumb gimmick." It's that simple.
And it's not cleverness. I see what you mean- it could be clever, but it isn't in this case.
They're making changes in an attempt to make the series better.
It would've cost them less time and money to make all the games more like Sonic Adventure.
(I mean, they wouldn't be fixing its flaws, but they'd be making money, and at least they
wouldn't be introducing new flaws or making the existing ones worse.)
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2006, 02:57:38 am »
Bomberman Act Zero is a GOOD GAME. There is literally nothing wrong with it.
No. You are wrong. I can say that with absolute certainty despite never having even laid eyes on the thing, simply because everyone hates it.

Ok but you're a tool you know that.

There's one 70% "ok this game is tolerable" review out of *37*. Games with nothing wrong are not universally hated.

Seriously, man.

It's not universally hated, there are people who like it, I play this game online, with cool people, they know this game isn't terrible. And it's not.

Most reviewers aren't very smart, you can't seriously take Gamerankings and make a decision on a game /without even having played it/.

It's easy to take a 7.0 game and bump it down to 3.0 out of a tilt to bombard the game as harshly as humanly possible because of the redesign that nobody seems to 'get'.

It's all about the redesign, it's all a knee jerk reaction, sensationalist retardation and lack of thinking. The perception that the franchise is somehow selling out when it's really not. It's a total lack of perspective. Previous Bomberman games in the classic style were much worse but nobody cared at all. Wtf is with shit like Bomberman Jetters. We pretend to be content that the franchise is shackled to its old look and a future of mediocrity, but when it changes and makes a shockingly focused and polished entry to a next gen console, some people freak out. Because

they're

STUPID

That's all it is.

Offline Rolken

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2006, 02:58:43 am »
But it won't matter. Thousands of angry Sonic fans signed petitions to get rid of the 4Kids actors, but did anything happen? No. Those games were very successful (at least in sales).
SEGA can do one stupid thing after another, but people will still buy their games,
either because there's no choice, or because they're kids who want the games because
they have "characters from sonic x" in them. But I agree that... how do I describe it?...
it kind of feels good to bash badly-made games and do extreme and even ridiculous things about them, even if few people know (like my plans to redo some of Riders's acting).

It's not so much that it feels good to bash it, as that it would feel bad to go along with it. Ultimately, sure, it doesn't matter to SEGA specifically whether I make an angry post on the front page or not. But the kind of malfeasance that leads to my angry posts on the front page also leads to a general wave of angry (or plain dismissive) posts across the Internet, and it is that kind of general bad will that has led to SEGA's demise in other areas in the past and in the long run will lead to the demise of whatever it infects in their corporation. The 4kids voice acting, the shoddy ports, the generally unfinished games, and entirely misguided atmosphere all are aspects of a malaise that while not individually recognized by most still inexorably lead to the single impression that Sonic is simply not worth considering.

But to get back to the initial point - I created TSC as a hub to foster competition and generally encourage appreciation and longevity of the Sonic games. To direct the work I've spent on the site towards fostering interest in such a terrible, lackluster game seems to me a destructive act, and I refuse to engage in it, not because I want to hurt Sega but because I don't want to encourage people wasting their time on crap when there is stuff out there that realizes the "vision" (if you could call it that) of that game so much better.
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2006, 03:38:40 am »
Bomberman Act Zero is a GOOD GAME. There is literally nothing wrong with it.
No. You are wrong. I can say that with absolute certainty despite never having even laid eyes on the thing, simply because everyone hates it.

Ok but you're a tool you know that.

There's one 70% "ok this game is tolerable" review out of *37*. Games with nothing wrong are not universally hated.

Seriously, man.

It's not universally hated, there are people who like it, I play this game online, with cool people, they know this game isn't terrible. And it's not.

Most reviewers aren't very smart, you can't seriously take Gamerankings and make a decision on a game /without even having played it/.

It's easy to take a 7.0 game and bump it down to 3.0 out of a tilt to bombard the game as harshly as humanly possible because of the redesign that nobody seems to 'get'.

It's all about the redesign, it's all a knee jerk reaction, sensationalist retardation and lack of thinking. The perception that the franchise is somehow selling out when it's really not. It's a total lack of perspective. Previous Bomberman games in the classic style were much worse but nobody cared at all. Wtf is with shit like Bomberman Jetters. We pretend to be content that the franchise is shackled to its old look and a future of mediocrity, but when it changes and makes a shockingly focused and polished entry to a next gen console, some people freak out. Because

they're

STUPID

That's all it is.
Wrong.  This is nothing to do with changing the franchise, or the look, or anything else.  It's about the fact that it's a comparitively poor game, and by comparitively I don't mean against other Bomberman games, I mean against the other games currently in direct competition with it.  You can't defend a game that's worse than a whole raft of others on the shelf by saying "Oh well, it's better than it's predecessor".

I've played it, and you're right, it's not terrible; it's mediocre.  There are reams of better games out there, and I for one am not going to waste time with it it just because it's a Bomberman game.  Nothing to do with franchises, selling out or any of that crap; there are better games to spend my time and money on.

It's also amusing that you generalise game reviewers as being stupid simply for having the opposite reaction to you.  I mean, that's why you're a game reviewer, right?  Owait.  Also calling Rolk a tool when he responded to your force-fed opinion of "there's literally nothing wrong with it" hardly helps your point.  He didn't say "I don't like this game", he said "how can there be nothing wrong when so many people dislike it".
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Rolken

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2006, 07:25:00 am »
You know, egg, any time your argument requires you to assume that you alone are smart and levelheaded and everyone else is stupid and illogical, that's a good sign you need to re-evaluate your stance.

Of course the people who PLAY it with you don't think it's terrible. You'd be pretty stupid to keep playing a game you hated, eh?

Man, this discussion is lol.
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2006, 05:31:41 pm »
It's not so much that it feels good to bash it, as that it would feel bad to go along with it. Ultimately, sure, it doesn't matter to SEGA specifically whether I make an angry post on the front page or not. But the kind of malfeasance that leads to my angry posts on the front page also leads to a general wave of angry (or plain dismissive) posts across the Internet, and it is that kind of general bad will that has led to SEGA's demise in other areas in the past and in the long run will lead to the demise of whatever it infects in their corporation. The 4kids voice acting, the shoddy ports, the generally unfinished games, and entirely misguided atmosphere all are aspects of a malaise that while not individually recognized by most still inexorably lead to the single impression that Sonic is simply not worth considering.

But to get back to the initial point - I created TSC as a hub to foster competition and generally encourage appreciation and longevity of the Sonic games. To direct the work I've spent on the site towards fostering interest in such a terrible, lackluster game seems to me a destructive act, and I refuse to engage in it, not because I want to hurt Sega but because I don't want to encourage people wasting their time on crap when there is stuff out there that realizes the "vision" (if you could call it that) of that game so much better.
Okay. Yeah, that's true, except about the overall low opinion of Sonic.
This has existed for a while, but SEGA doesn't seem to be getting hurt by it much.
Reviewers can complain, sites like TSC can avoid supporting it,
and the Sonic games can be generally considered garbage, but the games still sell.
But I understand what you mean about not supporting the extremely terrible games/ports/remakes.

As most of you might know already, I got Sonic Riders just over a week ago.
It was my choice, and I felt just a bit bad about doing my part to support it and increase the sales.
But like I said, I can't do anything. SEGA won't notice one sale. They wouldn't care if they
lost thousands of sales. I know that sounds dumb (if everyone did that, the sales wouldn't drop at all),
but it really seems like nothing can be done. So all I can do now is try to do my share of
complaining (like you said about the general opinion on the internet), or, though few people know,
refuse to listen to most of the bad acting and voices. Or I could get a job in Sonic Team. :P
(You'd notice the difference if that happened, whether I became a tester, programmer,
designer, producer... pretty much any job that could affect the gameplay or glitches.)
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2006, 10:15:21 pm »
Or I could get a job in Sonic Team. :P
(You'd notice the difference if that happened, whether I became a tester, programmer,
designer, producer... pretty much any job that could affect the gameplay or glitches.)
Yeah, that would be cool. All the series needs to get back to its former glory are some competent people who are talented Sonic players themselves actually making them. With SM doing programming, Marth on beta testing, and others making game ideas and concepts, it would a good era for Sonic games. Even I have some cool ideas for Sonic games, such as a RPG game with a Tales of Symphonia style battle system and Sonic style dungeons designed to make the game (and its combat) fast and fun, and a Sonic/Mega Man fusion spin off posted in an old thread in the General Sonic section. (SJ and sonicam would probably get the most enjoyment out of it though.)
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2006, 08:18:21 pm »
Yeah, that would be cool. All the series needs to get back to its former glory are some competent people who are talented Sonic players themselves actually making them. With SM doing programming, Marth on beta testing, and others making game ideas and concepts, it would a good era for Sonic games. Even I have some cool ideas for Sonic games, such as a RPG game with a Tales of Symphonia style battle system and Sonic style dungeons designed to make the game (and its combat) fast and fun, and a Sonic/Mega Man fusion spin off posted in an old thread in the General Sonic section. (SJ and sonicam would probably get the most enjoyment out of it though.)
For the series to get back to its former glory, SEGA would just have to open their ears for a minute.
If we started working there... this would be Sonic at his best. (Okay, maybe that's a bit much...
or is it? It would take some simple changes to make huge differences and create something better than SA.)

So it's settled. It can be as you said, and I can help occasionally with general supervision and random ideas.
And if I can get Robotnik's voice right (with a little practice), a bit of acting with that.
Now... let's go to SEGA headquarters and demand that they hire us!!!!! :P
(Really, it is frustrating. This would be for their good, but I somehow don't think they'd just
hire some Sonic fans who walk in, no matter how good they seemed to be at designing games.)

Offline F-Man

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2006, 08:35:53 pm »
I didn't know you guys had programming experience and whatnot.

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2006, 08:42:55 pm »
"You guys"? If you mean SM, I don't know. You'll have to ask him what he's done in game programming.
As for me, I don't do programming, but I have done graphics and level design and stuff.

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2006, 09:50:45 pm »
SM is really knowlegable about computers and other technical stuff in general. I wouldn't be surprised if he does know/understand at least one type of programing language. For me, ideas and conceptual things is the thing I'm best at. When I try to come up with some idea for a game (no, I don't work in the game industry, thus these are merely ideas), I try to think of a way to make it as fun as possible to play. (After all, fun is the most important thing.)
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2006, 06:41:51 am »
I program, but I'm too busy working on my own game (which pwns) to clear up Sonic Team's mess (which doesn't pwn).
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2006, 03:33:14 pm »
^^ Lol. Made me smirk.
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Print

Hits: 827 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.10 MB | Time: 0.10s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.