don't click here

General Help, In Challenges and Out

Print

Author Topic: General Help, In Challenges and Out  (Read 9273 times)

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
General Help, In Challenges and Out
« on: October 29, 2006, 09:50:08 pm »
Okay, as we watch the challenges (well, at least RPG & I, I haven't asked SDM), we're seeing the same ol' mistakes that are really gaming mistakes rather than challenge mistakes.  Therefore I propose a general help topic that gives just enough info to fix these mistakes.  No names given.  For starters...

• Diagonal springs send you farthest if you don't press buttons during flight.  Pushing forward kills your momentum.  This also applies when in the air after dropping over an edge.
  • If you're gonna mimic somebody else's .giz, at least fix his mistakes.  I'm seeing patterns...

I foresee more here later...

Okay, second wave of mistakes.

• Read the first wave of mistakes again.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 01:22:13 pm by Thorn »
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
Putting Emeralds into the Storage Topic and Editing your Profile, Recording
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 02:00:32 pm »
IMPORTANT EDIT: Note that emeralds have been banned from sigs by a power higher than myself.  Please visit the Emerald Storage Topic and dump your pics there.  Pretty much ignore the following (I'm leaving it for posterity and in case somebody can't modify their own profile...)

Okay, how to put emeralds / cough drops into each post has become a pretty common question.??  I suppose we're all forum newbies at some time, so I'll ease the transition by posting this guide.??  Note that by posting this, I also give all members permission to tell off anybody who asks this question again without looking in a topic titled "General Help", or clicking the Help button at the top of each page.

First things first, who's posted on GameFAQs?
* Thorn watches hands raise
Thought so.??  When you're posting there, you're entitled to put a little bit of HTML in your posts.??  Use open carat-b-closed carat and open carat-b-closed carat to bold words in between, and the same with an i instead of a b to italicize them.

Most forums use a similar format called Bulletin Board Code (BBCode), which is done in [ ] rather than < >.??  This is one of those forums.??  On forums you're allowed to do more than just bold and italicize.??  As it turns out, displaying images is BBCode.??  The BBCode tags for images are
Code: [Select]
[img] and [/img].In between those tags, you place the URL to the image you want to display.??  Cake, no???  Now let's edit your profile to get those emeralds in.??  Open two more browser windows right now, and in both, go to this forum.??  In the first, go to a page on which you've been awarded an emerald.??  Right-click it and click Properties (this works for Windows users, at least).??  Select the URL, then right-click it and Copy the text.

In the other window, click the button on the top of Forum pages that says "Profile".??  Now click "Forum Profile Information".??  So far so good???  First thing you'll see here is an area to place an avatar (picture).??  If you wish, place what you want, but remember that if you have a fan character or recolored character, don't try to cram a backstory down our throats, because we've heard enough.??  The Personal Text area lets you put in text that will appear right under your avatar.??  A description of the pic usually works, or a funny phrase.??  Just keep it short.??  Under that is personal information, it's your choice how much info you want us to see.??  Scroll down to Custom Title; that's where you can type something that will apeear under your name in posts, and it's the same idea as Personal Text.

Just under that is what you came for: Signature.??  Read the description: it's what you want.??  Now, who remembers my little lesson on BBCode tags???  Place down the first image tag, then paste the URL of the image, then place the last image tag.??  For example, here's the part of my Signature that displays my White Master Emerald:
[img]http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/134/thornmasterwhitemt8.gif[/img]After that, you can post more emeralds / cough drops in line.??  Use the first window to go fetch more URLs.??  Scroll down and click "Change Profile" when you're done.

Some things to note:
  • We expect no more than eight emeralds in a signature.??  If you have two or three emeralds of the same color, only display the most powerful one.
  • There are all sorts of things you can do with BBCode in posts and sigs.??  Here's a list of tags.??  Just don't overdo it.??  And here on TSC, we don't care for the Marquee / Move tags, they're annoying.
  • One tag missing from the list is the Me command.??  This allows you to make an action (you must type in third person).??  Either of the following works:
[me=Name]text[/me]
/me text

Recording: We have one quick request for recordings: Click "Record Input Movie" right before you start the challenge.??  We don't need to see the level select code, we know it already.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 08:25:42 pm by Thorn »

Offline fastnaturedude

• Potential for Anything
  • TSC: Cyan Ryan
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
Re: General Help, In Challenges and Out
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 10:32:55 pm »
...Emeralds banned from sigs? Wha...? Why am I able to put them there? I'm guessing this has been removed, but bleh.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 10:35:17 pm »
^...because there's no special tag for emeralds? The forum just goes, "oh, img tag, this is a picture coming up". It doesn't know how to say, "hm, lemme see what this is... aha! An emerald! BAN!".

But srsly, we're not supposed to do it because idiots let their sigs grow huge.

Offline fastnaturedude

• Potential for Anything
  • TSC: Cyan Ryan
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 10:37:45 pm »
I won't. :( Besides I'm probably too fail at Sonic to get anymore Emeralds than I already have anyway, so meh.

Print

Hits: 2,001 | Hits This Month: 4 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1002.41 KB | Time: 0.08s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.