don't click here

I wrote a dissertation on Sonic the Hedgehog (WAIT IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD, GUYS)

Print

Author Topic: I wrote a dissertation on Sonic the Hedgehog (WAIT IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD, GUYS)  (Read 7138 times)

Offline Crowbar

CLICK HERE (.doc format, sorry, I fail and can't be arsed to convert it to html)

A couple of months ago I finished my Illustration and Animation degree. The dissertation I wrote for this (required in addition to the practical work we had to do) was on the subject of Sonic the Hedgehog and Mario, and basically why Sonic sucks now while Mario doesn't, but from a character, design, and narrative perspective rather than gameplay.

Before you laugh, no, this is in no way related to those topics we've probably all seen posted by stupid high school kids who "rely wnt 2 du a project on SAWNIICC!!1". I actually researched it (I spent a week just reading before I even decided on this topic), and everything I wrote is based on very, very thoroughly considered ideas. I got absolute top marks across the board from it, and they even kept a copy for the library archives. Am I a massive saddo for actually doing this even so? Of course I am. However, if, you're interested in such issues as those I present (P.P.A., I think you at least will get a kick out of it), please read it.

It's presented exactly as I handed it in (save that it's on-screen rather than printed), so bear-in-mind that there's lots of out-of-date stuff. There's also alot that I either couldn't fit in, or simply couldn't find adequate research material on (I really wanted a section on female roles in the two series). I actually tempted to put in the time and effort to fill those bits in at some point in the future, but we'll see

I figured I'd post this here because this is basically my only tie to the "Sonic Community" anymore, and this forum actually contributed somewhat to the development of this essay (check the acknowledgements, hurf durf). If any of you actually bothers to read all of this AND the 8000-odd words of the dissertation, thanks!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 09:48:50 pm by Crowbar »

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
Some pretty good points. I do have to disagree about the human thing though. I'd say the problem is not the existance of humans, but in the rather poor way they're implemented. The realistic look of the series just doesn't do it for me. Perhaps if the series took on a more anime like turn with its in game visuals they might work.  IMO, the problem with Sonic speaking is that the voice acting is not very good. It would be better for his character if the game were to get a better cast.

You're an artist. Interesting. I would love to see your work. What styles are you proficient in? Anime?
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline P.P.A.

I am reading this right now and will edit this post once I'm done.

EDIT: That was excellently written, very interesting, and I could not find a single point I would disagree with. And you made me want to get Super Paper Mario even more than before. *applauds*
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 05:59:14 am by P.P.A. »
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline Crowbar

I have to point out that I HAVEN'T ACTUALLY PLAYED SUPER PAPER MARIO. ;_; I made very certain to do my research thoroughly in all such cases, but I still can't attest to the actual gameplay. Very glad you enjoyed it, though. As much as we've argued in the past about some of the newer games (mostly Rush) I do actually agree with your views on the older ones, I've just learned to accept one or two of the more recent trends somewhat.

magnum, that's a fair point, though I'm not sure I fully agree, I felt the presence of humans was just as jarring in Sonic X as in the games. I might've dealt with it directly in the essay if I'd been able to cover the cartoon series (specifically, in this case, Sonic X). Also, certainly, better voice acting would be a great improvement, but even then I feel they'd have to have stellar character writing to make good on it. Though I also know that the whole "silent protagonist" thing just doesn't go down well with everyone.

If you want to see some of my work check out my Youtube page. Eventually I'll make myself an actual website...eventually.

Offline Taillow

• Changing forum names is lame...
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Quartz
  • win81 chrome
  • ...but it didn't stop me from doing it again.
    • View Profile
...this is great stuff.  Four words:

SEND THIS TO SEGA
Hi

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
Yeah seriously, people that -matter- in the creation of Sonic games need to know about this stuff. We all remember the last time Sega "listened to the fans"...

Anyway, specifically: I think you've hit the nail on the head, Sonic just doesn't know what it is any more. There is no clearer proof of this than the very fact that Sega have been "experimenting" with him for about a decade now, and still not come up with anything particularly worthy of critical acclaim. (Of course I still think Sonic Advance 3 is a fine game in its own ways, but it still falls into the same traps you've outlined.)

And always good to know it was marked well!

<3 Thorn.

That was well worth reading all the way through. You make some excellent points.

Sonic Adventure's relations to actual real-world locations intrigued me significantly, and even caused me to do some research on Mayan civilization, lightly touching on everything from customs to why they aren't around anymore. Even moreso, I was surprised they tied in actual Mayan mythology and symbolism throughout the game in addition to physical locations. In this respect, I'd say Sonic's connection to the real world was at its finest in this game. It still had a cinematic feel, though, this much was obvious. After that, it seems attempts to tie in aspects you mentioned have been nothing but downhill. Sonic Adventure 2 was pretty good, Sonic Heroes was tolerable, it was painful for me to play through Shadow the Hedgehog, I couldn't bear to finish Sonic and the Secret Rings, and although I can't rightfully have an opinion on Sonic 06, I guess it could have fared better. Everything has become convoluted, cinematic efforts over game play are increasingly obvious, and Sega's attempts to play into the latest trends have made things worse. I still enjoy most that were considered "spin-off" games, however, including Sonic Advances 1-3, Sonic Rush, and Sonic Battle. This might have something to do with the differing focuses in game play, music, and art styles compared to the more mainstream games.

Mario has kept his strength throughout the years, and whenever a major Mario game comes out, I never know what to expect: everything always seems creative and unique. Things happen that just don't make sense, and that's why people like it. Even Mario's RPG's seem to try to break away from the traditional formula, while still tying in core game play aspects. They always experiment with new graphic styles, and the worlds they create are always colorful and eye-catching, with subtle jokes and details that some people might not even notice.

I believe most of the strength of a game, assuming it has decent mechanics, lies in its art-style, musical score, and sound quality (including the presence or absence of voice acting). Real-world environments are beginning to feel bland and unexciting since they're used so often; this has really hurt Sonic's presentation as of late. Also, music in Sonic's more recent games (after Sonic Adventure 2) hasn't been necessarily bad, but it just feels like background music; it doesn't make me feel immersed in the game. Games with a unique style and musical score such as "The World Ends With You", "Jet Grind Radio", "Okami", and "Space Channel 5" have been received very positively by the public. They all tried new game play aspects, but they still made sure the presentation was crisp and fresh, which ultimately held the games together.

Regarding upcoming Sonic games, I almost feel that Sega is "ripping off" Mario with this new RPG for the DS, only trying an RPG with Sonic since it worked for Mario. Their approach of using recycled Sonic X artwork is questionable (tying back in to art being a key aspect in the success of a game), and I hope the multiple endings don't end up like what happened in Shadow the Hedgehog. Bioware has an impressive record, however, so hopefully they can still pull it off. I still don't know what to think of Sonic & the Black Knight, and would prefer not to jump to any conclusions this early on.
Never forget who you are.
DeviantART account: (link)

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
see, I wasn't going to read this, but you guys got me intrigued >:O

also I saw some of Crowbar's vids, those are really awesome.
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
I read your dissertation a few days ago, and for the most part agree with it. My one complaint is how you glossed over the effect of a series maintaining (or outright abandoning) cohesive elements to compliment the diversions that keep it from becoming stale . There's a resounding point to be made that no series of productions whose stylistic approach varies greatly from entry to entry endures as a work of superior craftsmanship; Mario's consistant direction is, I feel, what ultimately led it to overtake Sonic, and this factor is only briefly mentioned with a focus instead on how their respective environments and characters fit the aesthetic (or in the case of Sonic, don't).

It's still a well written and comprehensive piece, though, and I congratulate you.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Azure

4.5 Megabytes is not good for dial-up, no it is not good.

Print

Hits: 360 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.10 MB | Time: 0.15s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.