don't click here

The Unoffical Disgaea Topic

Print

Author Topic: The Unoffical Disgaea Topic  (Read 27754 times)

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
The Unoffical Disgaea Topic
« on: August 25, 2008, 07:38:04 pm »
With Disgaea 3 coming out tommorrow, its time I made a topic to celebrate the awesomness that is the series. Talk about generic Disgaea stuff, such as strategies, questions about Disgaea 3 (will answer as I progress), and other stuff.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
Re: The Unoffical Disgaea Topic
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 09:07:59 pm »
Uh, what is Disgaea?
***NOT THE BRICKS!  <SkyL yell>***
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 01:44:41 am »
Uh... aren't you a little behind the times here?
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 11:55:48 am »
Mao's evility "Violent Courage" causes him to inflict (3 x number of enemies on the map) more damage. Almaz's evility reduces damage taken from higher level enemies. Raspberyl's evility inflicts more damage on higher level enemies. Sapphire's evility raises the stats of adjacent male characters by 20%

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 09:52:34 pm »
dude... if you want to do this, pick a NEW game, not one that's like... what... 7 months old or so?
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.

Offline F-Man

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 02:01:37 am »
Aitamen's a funny one.

Offline Azure

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 09:41:55 am »
wot.

Offline Waxwings

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 12:44:32 am »

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 03:19:05 am »
Yeah, Disgaea 3 was released  1/31/08... about 7 months ago...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/data/942139.html

*shrugs* Even those who haven't played it via the JPN release can easily keep up on the changes by reading the G-blogs of JPN players.

G-blogs aren't for YOUR first run of a game, it's to compare notes between people who are the first to play it before others can play it.

Where have you guys been for all this?

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 12:33:02 am »
Who wants to make a wager that the item the Prinny gets is that pudding from the Sea of Gehenna? Cookie to those who know the significance of what I just said.

Update: Voice actors.
Mao: Vic Mignogna
Almaz: John Yong Bosh
Raspberyl: Some say its Laura Bailey, but I suspect its Stephanie Sheh (she reminds me of Danette).
Kyoko Needleworker: Probably Lara Jill Miller (Yukimaru).
Mr. Champoo: Unkown but sounds like a parody of Emeril, complete with BOOM! (BAM reference).
Marona & Flonne: Sandy Fox

Japanese version just got Yukimaru, Tink, and Prier Thursday night (our Thursday) along with a mission which unlocks the angel class in addition to Adell, Rozalin, Taro, Hanako, some detective guy, and Nekomatas from previous months. They're also probably going to get Ash (character), Feinne (boss fight), Gig (possibly either one), and Zetta (most likely a boss unless he's in his humanoid form) in later months. Yukimaru's evility copies the evility of the first thing she kills (a Mega Man evility). Thanks to her new 75 ice affinity and Midari Fubuki being an S rank ice attack, any thing with an ice weakness is basically screwed. Good Bye Tink no longer kills him but instead brings him to 1 hp.

Since the US version is going to have DLC, and some of the VAs from previous games (Lara Jill Miller, Wendee Lee, and possibly Stephane Sheh) voice characters that are confirmed Japanese DLC and likely DLC, there exists a chance that our version of the DLC fights will be voiced (they are not voiced in the Japanese version).

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 06:24:59 am »
I GOT A COOKIE!!!

also, I had totally forgotten about that, but I'm fairly sure that it's not beyond Nippon Ichi's process to get that far out there

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 08:34:00 pm »
This months DLC. Pram (Makai Kingdom) confirmed to be DLC this month. Prediction is that she'll be a mage. Other content unknown but I'm predicting Zetta (as a boss) and maybe Ash (Phantom Brave).

Raspberyl: Confirmed to be Laura Bailey
Master Big Star: Liam O'Brien (sounds a lot like Ingway).
Salavtore and Etna: Michelle Ruff.
Asagi: Most likely Wendee Lee.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 02:52:39 pm »
Disgaea would be awesome if it didnt force you to grind earlier battles
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 06:58:41 pm »
if you don't like to grind, how did you ever beat DQ/DW?

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 07:19:05 pm »
September's DLC was Pram, Zetta (playable and in book form) and Majorly. Pram is a staff user with 25, 50, 99 (ice) elemental affinities, 150% SP and INT, learns up to Omega Strength Ice (no Tera in this game), and several ice specials with large AOE (Ice Dragons FTW). Zetta only has 2 movement but has 150% ATK and HP and some funny but nasty star element physical attacks (Zetta Beam, jotting bad stuff in his pages that happens to his victims. MChange turns him into a bow. Majorly has 99 in all affinities, can learn all 4 elements (level of spell unknown) and has some AOE. Equips monster (INT) weapons and her MChange turns her into a staff. Will take more effort to reach her max potential and without that effort has a harder time gaining mass EXP than Pram.

Grinding can get annoying but the third game has some tricks in it that make leveling up quite fast compared to earlier games. The cheerleader class increases EXP gain for allies, innocents that speed up EXP gain considerably, and other stuff. Adell has an evility that doesn't let him inflict lethal damage to lower level enemies (such hits set HP to 1), designed to help low level characters get easy EXP. There's also no need to grind weapon skill levels for hours because skills (and their upgrades) now require mana. Gaining mana is pretty easy in this game as there are clubs that siphon mana from people who get kills (great for low level characters), Prinnies give double their level worth of mana now and are often placed in maps that multiply mana gain by 1.5 (4-1 gives 720 mana per run with no stronger enemy bills), and Marona has a secondary evility that increases mana gain for allies by 20%.

Sapphire confirmed to be Stephanie Sheh.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 07:25:34 pm »
Grinding doesn't take long unless you're trying to balance a team...  again, at RPG, this is a bad idea in almost any SRPG/TRPG...

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 07:53:13 pm »
if you don't like to grind, how did you ever beat DQ/DW?

I have only recently started playing DQ4 but Ive not needed to grind in it yet.

Also there is nothing wrong with balanced teams, and, in fact, having one guy levelled way above the rest of your party (like Laharl has ended up with me) ends up with total reliance on him to kill anything big, meaning the other party members get piddly amounts of exp and stay weak and pitiful while Laharl ends up a boring killing machine, which is crap

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2008, 08:06:39 pm »
Uh... you use Laharl?

I think that defaults my comment... I resign this argument...

but not before noting that DW4 != DW

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2008, 08:08:11 pm »
I have absolutely no idea what you're even trying to get at

Offline Rolken

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2008, 08:17:43 pm »
dude... if you want to do this, pick a NEW game, not one that's like... what... 7 months old or so?
This is the most punchworthy post I've read on this forum in ages.

I mean, seriously. Wow. In case it wasn't abundantly clear, this is an English-speaking site for speakers of English. English being a language which is not Japanese. Also, most English speakers don't speak Japanese. Or live in Japan.

Anyway...  having never played a Disgaea game before, and being a fan of strategy games, I got Disgaea DS a couple days ago. I'm disappointed by how it punishes you with high recovery fees for trying to push your limits and use the full range of your abilities, but other than that, it's a pretty fun game. Also it's nice to see a tactical rpg story that doesn't take itself seriously. Also are you supposed to have to be super attentive to levelling up healers?
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2008, 08:23:00 pm »
Im doing the same with my healers rolk heh, its a pain that they dont get exp for using their healing spells :(

Also the recovery prices screwed me over too heh, I ended up playing the first battle a bunch of times in a row just to get enough money to heal everyone :(

I pretty much agree with what you said actually, because aside from said complaints and my earlier complaint of forced grinding, it is pretty fun

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2008, 11:15:22 pm »
Also are you supposed to have to be super attentive to levelling up healers?

Healers were a nightmare to level in the first game. My advice is to have the healer create one of your mages. Their INT stat is decent enough where you can use magic to get some kills. To teach magic, have the healer stand next to her (female healers are better) mage (male mages are better) student. Cast the spell five times and the spell is permanently learned. While you're gaining the 50 mana needed to create an average (NEVER create a character that's less than average) character, give the healer a bow (her proficency with this is the fastest way to get the archer class) and equip the best equipment on her for now. You're going to HATE the promotion exams, as they embody everything that's wrong with the game's balance. They've disappeared after the second game.

If you're at chapter 3 yet, you're going to get Flonne. She starts out really sucky, but if you give her mage and healer students, she can quickly become VERY broken. (While gaining mana, give bow as its her second best weapon.)

Do not use axes, they're practically unplayable until the third game (there they're awesome) due to their hit penalties. Spears tend to suck unless you use Etna. Guns and swords are overpowered compared to the other weapons. Monsters are also bad during the first game (improved considerably starting in the 2nd game). I started with the second game, which I found to be a much better game than the first one (vastly improved game play and generally more balanced).

-Edit: Healers do get EXP from support spells starting with the second game, though the mage student strategy is still the best method until you reach the stage (and Dark World 1-4) with reverse damage geo panels (heal does damage and visa versa).

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2008, 03:21:17 am »
Im already using an archer flonne. flonne is cool <3

Looks like Im gonna be teaching my mages some magicks though

Also the scout class is pretty good if you can ramp up their attack and give them a gun

Offline flyby

• Lurker in the Shadows~
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp chrome
  • Livin' the dream~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2008, 03:28:13 am »
edit: disregard the user box, this is rolken posting <_<

To teach magic, have the healer stand next to her (female healers are better) mage (male mages are better) student. Cast the spell five times and the spell is permanently learned.
Wow, I missed that second part. That'll make things way easier. My method of choice previously had been to stick the healers amidst attackers and hope they get some KOs by association as well as directly attacking enemies left with <10HP, which tended to leave them 3-5 levels behind (my main dude is lv15 now).

I've actually been greatly appreciating the promotion exams so far; when I make a new character, I stick a +150hp muscle item, a rosary thing and a lv10 imperial seal on them and pull them up to lv7-10 on exams alone. Also do those initial stats actually serve as permanent levelup stat increase scales or somesuch? I suspected something to that effect when I noticed how expensive the higher levels were for such a seemingly mediocre stat gain, but so far I've mostly been dumping them into hp/atk/def so that the fellows can actually keep up with levelling.

I wish the game notified you when Things Happen. I feel like everything in the game happens behind your back, forcing you to specifically check what's going on if you want to be In the Know (ie. class unlocks, spell/weapon skillups). Also my annoyance at the hospital expenses is moderated by that it gives away such awesome items (ie. the aforementioned exam items).

Are there any plans to put Disgaea 2 on a portable machine? I'd like to play it, but there's no way I would sit down at a teevee to play these kinds of games. :(
:)

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2008, 06:36:44 am »
Im not sure I -get- this

I mean, Ive just had Flonne and my initial Cleric stand still, and had their pupils stand next to them, and cast spells on them, 5 times, yet the spell hasnt been learned; it disappears from their skill menu as soon as I step away

Wat? :(

EDIT: Maybe Flonne needs to be doing the casting and such?

/me brb try that

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2008, 07:16:11 am »
It's not that they have to use the skill 5 times... it's that you have to get the spell-skill above 0, meaning they'll have the L1 skill... just like if a skill's level is too low, and the XP would reduce it to <L1, it would terminate that skill

Also, I was talking in my above post about the fact that Laharl is a sub-optimal character, and thus, I never use him if I can help it...

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2008, 05:24:08 pm »
Im not sure I -get- this

I mean, Ive just had Flonne and my initial Cleric stand still, and had their pupils stand next to them, and cast spells on them, 5 times, yet the spell hasnt been learned; it disappears from their skill menu as soon as I step away

Wat? :(

EDIT: Maybe Flonne needs to be doing the casting and such?

/me brb try that

I should have been a bit more clear. Its the person who's attempting to learn the spell that must do the casting. You must get the spell to level 1, which ususally takes about 5 castings.

In regards to the question about stat gains on character creation (and transmigration), those bonuses affect the character's base stats, which are used in formulas to govern stat growth. The higher competence levels give you more points to play with, thus affecting your base stats more. The bonus points you gain are determined by the level a character was at the time of transmigration. If a character is at a certain level, he gets additional bonus points in addition to the amount for transmigrating at a specific competence. The points you spent to enhance a stat become permanent, thus becomes your base stats upon the next transmigration. Example. You make a skilled character and set his base stat in ATK to 12 by spending 3 bonus points. When you transmigrate that character, the three bonus points are permanately part of the base stats before spending bonus points during the transmigration. Note: Story characters start out as average.

Not being told about stuff gets annoying, but was fixed in the third game, which tells you everything you've unlocked. The second game no longer requires promotion exams to reincarnate (the new term for transmigration) making the process a bit faster. Status of a handheld Disgaea 2 is unknown at this time. In addition to the Etna mode of the PSP game, the DS version also gets Overlord Zetta and Plenair as secret characters. Unlike the Japanese versison of the DS game, the US version has the voice acting intact. It does suffer a slight graphical hit from the PSP version,  but that's just FYI.

Just played a demo of Prinny: or is it really okay that I'm the main character dood? Its a 2d side scroller in which you play as a Prinny. Jump controls are like Ghouls and Ghosts, but wind up not sucking due to a ground pound attack you can use to prevent yourself from over shooting jumps. Your main attack is extremely fast. You also get to use Prinny Barrage as a basic aerial attack (the game shifts to a 2.5d perspective for this. Gives a nice view of what Laharl's netherworld really looks like. In the level I played, I fought an apple monster (Makai Kingdom), a carrot monster (Makai Kingdom), a corn monster (Makai Kingdodm) a gremlin (Disgaea), a mothman (Disgaea 2), Orcs (Disgaea 2, armed with guns, clubs, and even cannons), Some pot that spews these doll things from Makai Kingdom, a green skull (Disgaea 2 art style), and an archer with flaming arrows. You can even ride a crude netherworld tank to kick some ass. Some screen shots indicate being able to fight Mage Knights and a massive magma dragon (Disgaea 2 Tera Fire spell) as a boss. Released to Japan in November, thus we'll get it in June at the latest (depends on speed of translation).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 08:26:54 pm by magnum12 »

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2008, 05:58:44 pm »
So I could say take my level 
  • female cleric and turn her into a level1 Priest or such?

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2008, 07:22:37 pm »
no... Flonne knows the spells, and the person you're trying to level doesn't... move said person next to flonne and have this person cast the spells... you can check their mastery of the spell in their stats... once it's L1, they won't lose it when they step away from Flonne

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2008, 05:04:22 am »
I was not trying to use Flonne to teach spells <_<

Print

Hits: 3,552 | Hits This Month: 9 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.22 MB | Time: 0.15s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.