don't click here

Crazy Idea: The TSClympics.

Print

Author Topic: Crazy Idea: The TSClympics.  (Read 26346 times)

Offline The T

Crazy Idea: The TSClympics.
« on: September 26, 2008, 06:07:25 pm »
ORIGINAL POST IS BELOW.

Preliminary Game Rules:
[All rules are, at this point in time, currently entirely subject to debate as to create the best and most enjoyable competition. All rules below are not official and exist solely to be discussed until finalized.

===Advance Wars by Web===
All games will be played at Advance Wars by Web.
(Specific COs to ban?)
(Specific stages to use?)

===Advance Wars: Days of Ruin===
(Never played this, someone else fill it in.)

===Button Men===
All games will be played at Button Men.
Each match will consist of 6 seperate games.
3 games will be played using the following rules: Play until 3 wins, Random TL Button Man VS Random TL Button Man.
3 games will be played as Reverse Matches of the 3 prior games, with each player using the Button Men their opponent used.
[As a side note, I highly encourage anyone to check out this game--it's pretty simple and a lot of fun.]

===Diddy Kong Racing DS===
If there are more than 8 players, all players will be grouped into randomly chosen, approximately equal groups of no more than 8 players.
Each group will compete in a series of (#?) races.
(Maybe I'm just not in the right frame of mind but I can't think of how points should be distributed on this one. I also need to test Wi-Fi because I'm not even positive 8-player Wi-Fi is there. I've read online it is though...)

===Dr. Mario Online RX===
Round Robin Tournament. Players will be ranked on wins.
[Any preference on difficulty level? If not I'll look into it...]

===Elebits (Stage Design Contest)===
Each competitor may submit only one stage.
"Judges" are those not competing in the event but who have chosen to judge the event.
All players and judges will recieve and play the stages made by each other player, and then rank the stages in order from favorite to least favorite. A player will not include their own stage in their ranking.
<Points will be awarded in some fashion in this way...>

===Grand Theft Auto 4===
(Race Mode? No clue, someone else fill this in.)

===Guilty Gear XX===
(Someone else fill it in.)

===Immaterial and Missing Power===
(Someone else fill it in.)

===Kirby Air Ride===
All matches will be played on a Nintendo Game with a Broadband Adapter using Warp Pipe. (Need link to software.)
(Need more information on what modes play in Broadband mode.)

===LandGrab===
If there are more than 7 players, all players will be grouped into randomly chosen, approximately equal groups of no more than 7 players.
(Should a specific set of maps be chosen for each round? How many rounds should be played? How should elimination work?)

===Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass===
Round Robin tournament. Players will be ranked on wins.
Stages will be chosen via in-game method.
[How many matches should be played between each set of players?]

===Magic the Gathering===
Matches may be played on Magic Workstation or LackeyCCG.
(Someone else fill this in.)

===Super Mario Bros.===
<Game Race rules go here.>

===Super Mario Bros. 3===
<Game Race rules go here.>

===Mario Kart DS===
If there are more than 4 players, all players will be grouped into randomly chosen, approximately equal groups of no more than 4 players.
Courses will be chosen via in-game method.
(How should elimination work?)

===Mario Kart Wii===
If there are more than 8 players, all players will be grouped into randomly chosen, approximately equal groups of no more than 8 players.
Courses will be chosen via in-game method.
(Should we use in-game ranking for this one? Does it keep track of in-game ranking during friend matches?)

===Mario Kart: Double Dash!!===
All matches will be played on a Nintendo Game with a Broadband Adapter using Warp Pipe. (Need link to software.)
(Need more information on what modes play in Broadband mode.)

===Mario Strikers Charged===
(Someone else fill me in on this one...)

===Mega Man game?===
<Anyone have a preference on a specific Mega Man game or games to use for a Game Race?>

===Metroid Prime: Hunters===
(Someon else fill in this one...)

===Monster Rancher===

===Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II===

===Picross DS===
(I'll look into this one at some point...)

===Picross DS (Puzzle Design Contest)===
Each competitor may submit only one puzzle.
"Judges" are those not competing in the event but who have chosen to judge the event.
All players and judges will recieve and play the puzzles made by each other player, and then rank the stages in order from favorite to least favorite. A player will not include their own stage in their ranking.

===Pokémon Diamond & Pearl===
Matches will be played on a DS system over Wi-Fi or through Pokémon Battle Revolution.
Matches will follow standard OU rules.
[3-on-3 or 6-on-6?]

===Pokémon TCG===
Matches may be played using LackeyCCG or RedShark.
Round Robin tournament.

===Sonic the Hedgehog 2===
(Gens has Netplay, right? Any other Genesis emulators, as well?)
(Play a set of all 4 levels, using in-game scoring to decide winner?)

===Sonic game?===
<Any particular Sonic game that would be usable for a Game Race?>

===Super Smash Bros.===
Play using Netplay in Project64k.
<Anyone?>

===Super Smash Bros. Brawl===
<1-on-1 or 4-player matches?>

===Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Stage Design Contest)===
Each competitor may submit only one stage.
All players and judges will recieve and play the stages made by each other player, and then rank the stages in order from favorite to least favorite. A player will not include their own stage in their ranking.

===Team Fortress 2===
(No clue.)

===Tetris DS===
(2-player or 4-player mode?)

===WarTech: Senko No Ronde===
(No clue.)

WOW. When I originally thought up making this post, I didn't realize I'd have so many glaring blank spots. So if anyone has any preferences on any of these, PLEASE make them known now. In addition, if you want to add any games [which I highly encourage you do], then please post a preliminary explanation of the rules.

Sorry for this otherwise being a waste, but it's a start I guess.

-------------ORIGINAL POST-------------
I came up with this idea and talked to RPG about it a little, and it's... probably too grandiose and would become unwieldy to manage, but I'd like to give it a shot anyway of people would be interested.

Essentially... a massive competition of games of all sorts.

Ranging from Mario Kart to Magic the Gathering to Chess to LandGrab to any game anyone can feasible play online [and some that feasibly can't].

I envision it working like this: People will suggest games to include. Once a list of games has been made up, people can express interest in what games they'd want to compete in. There will be no limit to how many games a person can compete in, and each person does not need to compete in all the games, or even a large portion of them. In order for a game's competition to occur, there will be a minimum number of required competitors.

I'd like to include a variety of games, from Wii/DS/360 games that can be played online, to CCGs over Lackey and MWS, to board and card games that can be played on any number of sites, to web-based games like LandGrab and possibly others.

Another idea I kicked around that I don't know if anyone would be interested in, would be "Game Races" like the ones featured here under "Race Videos"--People would likely need a capture card or a way to record video from an emulator, and there'd need to be rules for it... also, having a mic to communicate is a plus--on those ones, the idea wouldn't just be to speed run, but to also talk to your opponents while you play and things... I know it sounds weird, but I think it'd be a fun idea.

We'd also need to decide what the best and most fair ways to run the events would be. Round Robin is extremely fair but takes a long time. Single Elimination is quick but, ultimately, doesn't give good 1st-2nd-3rd results. Any thoughts?

Anyone interested at all?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 05:57:51 pm by The T »

Offline Stefan

Re: Crazy Idea: The TSClympics.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 08:03:38 pm »
This would be awesome with some conceptual development. More games to compete in and events like a decathlon could make this quite fun if enough join in.

Offline The T

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 08:49:25 pm »
Sorry, but what is MR?

Offline sonicam

• TSC's Most Easily Irritated Member
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 10:27:29 pm »
Sounds like a good idea to me.
Chaos Emeralds: Yellow, Red, Green, Blue and Purple.
Keys: Light Blue.

Click here to level up my card!

Offline The T

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 12:07:45 am »
Well, anyone have any suggestions on how it should be run? Game ideas? Anything?

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 04:33:36 am »
Senko no Ronde, TF2, Phantasy Star Online Episode 1&2 and Kirby Air Ride plz.
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline The T

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 11:08:52 am »
For games I'm not familiar with, someone else will have to decide the rulings on competition...

Also, how will PSO work? I thought it was co-op?

And Kirby Air Ride, how would it be played online?

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 11:12:57 am »
PSO has a battle mode. And Kirby Air Ride CAN be played online, with a PC program called Warppipe that tricks the GC into thinking it's in LAN mode while actually it's hooked up to another played over the internet. You need a Broadband adapter though, BUT I'M SURE EVERYONE HAS ONE ANYWAY

Offline The T

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 11:24:02 am »
Holy hell, I did not know that, and that sounds like reason enough for me to invest in a Broadband adapater. >_>

And thinking about it again, I remember playing PSO's battle mode with a friend and finding it... absurdly boring and stupid. But that's no reason to not include it.

I suppose I'll make a list of games I'd be interested in; this is in no particular order and just from looking at my list of games sorted alphabetically.

Online Play:
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Strikers Charged
Pokémon DP/BR
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Dr. Mario Online RX
Diddy Kong Racing DS
Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Mario Kart DS
Metroid Prime: Hunters
Picross DS
Tetris DS

NetPlay over Emulator:
Sonic 2

Web Games:
Advance Wars by Web
Button Men
LandGrab

Online CCGs:
Pokémon TCG
Magic the Gathering

Game Races:
A Mega Man game?
A Mario game? Mario 1, Mario 3? [One with warps]
A Sonic game?

Other ideas:
Creative contests, like the Art competitions at the Olympics, where a panel of judges will vote on the winners? Have stage design contests for Elebits, Brawl, Picross DS...

"Split screen" events, similar to the Game Races but played on games that use scores or that have short timed races, like Wii Sports events or the like.

Do enough people have capture cards that would make the game races and things viable? I suppose with Game races you can also use emulator... but are people interested in it? Express some interest, people!

And once again, if anyone has any rules suggestions for each individual game, or any other game ideas to add, absolutely post.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 11:31:21 am by The T »

Offline Stefan

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 11:49:21 am »
A fair amount of TSC members own 360s, as well. Restricting games to nintendo franchises might not be the best move.

Offline The T

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 11:52:39 am »
I wasn't intending to. Trouble is, I don't have a 360 yet, and therefore I'm not rightly able to suggest games. You guys are encouraged to.

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 11:54:59 am »
Already did so with SnR and TF2.
I won't play DoA4 though until I have a decent 2D pad for the console. :(

Offline Stefan

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 12:05:37 pm »
One try braid speedruns, timed best gw2 scores, tf2 would probably work.

Offline The T

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 12:08:36 pm »
If it's alright, could people stop using abbreviations? I have no idea what GW2 is supposed to be...

Also, in general, could I get a poll of how many people are interested in the "Game Races" segment, altogether?

Offline Stefan

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 12:23:49 pm »
Geometry Wars 2.

Offline The T

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2008, 01:39:27 pm »
My main worry with "score attack" type things is that, people can just keep playing it over and over until they get the perfect score. I would rather this work closer to the Olympics, where you only have a preset number of tries... but how to enforce this rule is difficult.

The only idea I really have is the way the Game Races are done, but even that can be affected somehow... so... hrm.

Thoughts?

Offline The T

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2008, 05:34:19 pm »
I'm not quite sure how co-op play like that could be worked into the TSClympics, mostly because of how few people are probably going to be competing...

There's also no way to play SSB/SSBM online, and it'd be a weird inclusion anyway, wouldn't it?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 05:58:19 pm by The T »

Offline The T

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2008, 08:41:59 pm »
Well, it just seems silly and pointless what with Brawl existing...

Offline The T

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2008, 10:48:17 pm »
Hehe, you're silly.

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2008, 07:03:32 am »
I also nominate Mario Kart Double Dash, playable online by the same means as KAR.

Oh, and Immaterial and Missing Power on PC.

Offline The T

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2008, 11:18:56 am »
Have you ever watched HL SSB and SSBM battles?

compare them to SSBB battles...

and you'll begin to understand...

I don't know what HL stands for.

But I've watched tourneyfags play Melee and it shows me Brawl is an infinitely better game.

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2008, 01:35:13 pm »
'HL'...perhaps 'high level'? If that is Aitamen's assertion, I posit that Brawl doesn't have to be a tournament game because, more importantly, it is a fun game. Why the need to reinforce your own self image through consistent, complete victory, when it's clear who the better players are even if they don't win? And one more thing to say, I object to your statement that SSB is more balanced than Brawl on the grounds that Pikachu, Ness, and Kirby are all overpowered...and to preempt any trashy rebuttal that Meta Knight and Snake are overpowered, it's too a lesser degree. In SSB, these 3 could 0% kill. A skilled Meta Knight has to work you off the edge for the gimp, and a good Snake has to read his opponent well to capitalize. I don't see where your claims of SSB's greater balance are coming from.

On the matter of these olympics, all I have is a token statement of interest, nothing really to add. Except that Advance Wars: Days of Ruin is a logical inclusion, and if you're conducting a general survey that I'd be interested in side-by-side playthroughs even though I don't have a capture card.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2008, 02:57:39 pm »
GTA4 Race Mode!!!
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Selphos

• The Eternally Young Scarlet Moon
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Sondow
  • win10 firefox
  • TSC's local Touhou nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2008, 03:00:37 pm »
There -has- to be some sort of pokemon in this or it does not encompass all that TSC does.

All that TSC does that's an actual game, anyway.
The moon is so red. Looks like it's going to be a fun night.

Offline The T

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2008, 03:05:10 pm »
I definitely intend to include Pokémon DP [and, as an option, PBR] in the tournament.

I think later today, I'll... well, we're do it like this:

I'll create preliminary rulesets for each game. Everyone can look over them, suggest changes to any/all of them, until we're all agreed on something. If I don't know anything about a game, I'll leave the rules for that blank and expect someone else to include it in.

We can include rulesets for games even if there are very few people interested. Later on, when we take entries, if the minimum number isn't reached, the event won't be included.

We'll also have to decide on a minimum number of entries, although this might vary from game to game.

Sound like a plan? If so, I'll probably start work on the lists later today.

Offline The T

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2008, 05:58:45 pm »
Posting again to say I've updated the OP with EXTREMELY preliminary rules for some of the games, and placeholders for others.

Sorry it's kind of a mess.

If anyone has suggestions on specific rules or new games with rules, POST 'EM.

Also, if anyone has Diddy Kong Racing DS or Picross DS and wants to test out how online on them works, PM me or /query me in the channel.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 06:06:33 pm by The T »

Offline The T

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2008, 06:38:31 pm »
Aitaman, I want you to know I have no idea what you're talking about half the time. And by that I mean all of the time.

Offline The T

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2008, 07:05:27 pm »
Aitaman, take the flaming to a different topic. It's pretty obvious you have no idea what you're talking about.

Offline Selphos

• The Eternally Young Scarlet Moon
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Sondow
  • win10 firefox
  • TSC's local Touhou nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2008, 07:33:33 pm »
-That- was your hundredth post?

How is Aita the one who doesn't know what he's talking about? He gave you a detailed explanation of how ping and lag works. You're brushing him off, accusing him of flaming.
The moon is so red. Looks like it's going to be a fun night.

Offline The T

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2008, 07:37:52 pm »
His first sentence was clearly an attempt to start an argument. The ping topic is stupid because no one asked for an explanation of Ping and it was entirely pointless.

Print

Hits: 797 | Hits This Month: 5 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.19 MB | Time: 0.10s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.