don't click here

New DS coming with camera and music compatible

Print

Author Topic: New DS coming with camera and music compatible  (Read 6151 times)

Offline ChaoRC

New DS coming with camera and music compatible
« on: September 29, 2008, 12:20:06 am »
http://kotaku.com/5055944/report-new-nintendo-ds-coming-this-year-with-camera-music-playback

Nintendo will release a new model of the Nintendo DS portable game machine this year. For the first time, it will include a camera and music playback functionality. The wireless functionality of the machine will also be strengthened, allowing it to connect to "information terminals."* Since the DS was released 4 years ago, it has sold 77,000,000 units worldwide. It seems as if the new model will go outside the boundaries of the "game business" to compete with devices like cell phones.

Images that you take with the camera could be used by games. The music playback function will be able to take music from CDs and other sources and play it back.

The price of the new model, like the current 16,800 yen [DS Lite], will be under 20,000 yen. It will first be released in Japan, and overseas releases are under consideration.

---

Sounds good. Hope this is true though. I still have the original and bought it close to launch, so I might get this. I really like the camera capture idea.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
Re: New DS coming with camera and music compatible
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 07:18:02 am »
DS-cell, perhaps?

That'd be totally awesome...  I mean, if Nokia and Microsoft can make videogames, why not N make cell-phones and other net devices?

Plus, they'd have to strengthen their online-networking capabilities...  coast-to-coast wifi?!

ok, so my imagination's getting carried away... still a fun idea ^_^
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 05:42:09 pm »
Personally I find myself completely underwhelmed. But maybe I'm just in a mood.

Also how's it going to get music from CDs? I assume it won't be able to actually take a CD so USB port?

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 07:25:25 pm »
perhaps it's recording, or like prior phones, it'll hear a part of it and DL the proper versioN?
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 01:53:44 am »
My best guess is the music would be supported by an SD card slot, and it would only support major formats like mp3 and wav. Nintendo's all about producing things at a low budget to target the largest audience possible, so throwing in a few unnecessary basic components which are already largely available on other portable devices, given they'll probably use cameras with low resolution and such to lower the cost, could result in a lower quality product all around.

They advertise that said features might be able to be used in games, but honestly, how many games could effectively implement such features, and how many of said games would be produced, given they wouldn't want to shut out current DS owners to avoid losing game sales?

If they offered a DS with larger screens, more internet security compatibility, and maybe tweak the elevation of a couple buttons, it would be a more worthwhile upgrade, and it wouldn't cost Nintendo all that much more to produce, anyhow. Or, if they REALLY want to sell me on a new DS, how about built-in TV output functionality, eh? It's already been done unofficially, after all, and I, for one, would be willing to pay a higher price tag for it.

As for music on the DS, in the off chance you're not using something else, there's already third-party options for the DS as it is. Why bother to build it into the system?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 02:28:24 pm by Auriman1 »
Never forget who you are.
DeviantART account: (link)

Offline ChaoRC

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 12:34:00 am »
They are confirming it for sure this time.... maybe.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/01/report-new-multimedia-ds-announced-tonight/

British video game pub MCV is insistent in telling us that the rumored new DS model, packing MP3 functionality and a built-in camera – the DS Sight? – will be announced by Satoru Iwata during Nintendo's press event in Japan around 12AM Joystiq Time tonight. MCV says its source is "impeccable" and "guarantees" the announcement; we say, let's wait until later tonight. We'll be here, on the lookout for anything with the letters D and S in close proximity.

I heard that NoA is also having a meeting and will be announcing it there or some such. Anybody have a better source? >.>

Print

Hits: 636 | Hits This Month: 7 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.00 MB | Time: 0.09s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.