don't click here

S&K: Lava Reef 1 - Respawning Badniks

Print

Author Topic: S&K: Lava Reef 1 - Respawning Badniks  (Read 48207 times)

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
Re: S&K: Lava Reef 1 - Respawning Badniks
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2010, 08:02:44 pm »
there's still the measuring of time before you take off to win... if you didn't clear it in 9:58 or something similar, it can still be done faster.

it's a different run, and a different playstyle...  if you don't like it, don't play.

Also, I deny that you're better than me.  I'm working on other titles.

What you have now can easily be outdone, and by multitudes, as Smiz and Eredani and sprint have already shown...  While I'm not as talented as the rest, many would say I'm driven enough that it's inconsequential.
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2010, 08:08:01 pm »
[20:00] <+Strong_Bad> thorn: read my post kthx
[20:02] <@Thorn> SB, sorry, but I'm quite sick of this debate and the "majority" opinion was to allow all time-limited spam
[20:02] <@Thorn> where "majority" means "vocal minority"
[20:02] <@Thorn> if the true majority wants their voices heard, they could start by opening their mouths

So there you have it. This isn't to say I think either viewpoint is better. -- I'm personally in favor of a cap on spam, but that view is to maintain fun and not competition so it really doesn't mean shit -- but when there's a split in opinions like this, precedent such as the Sonic R glitch debate has said to allow everything, and that's what the vocal minority has asked for. If anybody wants to disallow spam, start by saying something, since this new ruling won't be changed if only Strong Bad's opinion differs.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2010, 08:33:01 pm »
there's still the measuring of time before you take off to win... if you didn't clear it in 9:58 or something similar, it can still be done faster.
I cleared all 3 in 9:59 (subtracting 99900 as per SadisticMystic's ruling on the problem of 9:59 via IRC), naturally. I do not half-ass anything. Tails is not maxed, I will say, and I suppose neither are Sonic or Knuckles and I won't be able to find that out until I TAS it first.
it's a different run, and a different playstyle
so then it should be in freestyle.
Also, I deny that you're better than me.  I'm working on other titles.
I lol'd a bit... all talk and no action. I made a topic last year stating that I was going to be the Sonic 3 Champion, granted, but then I followed up on it.
What you have now can easily be outdone, and by multitudes, as Smiz and Eredani and sprint have already shown...  While I'm not as talented as the rest, many would say I'm driven enough that it's inconsequential.
What I have now can be outdone as Eredani and Sprint have shown? So is that why that none of those people have faster times than I do, which is now apparently the part that matters in the Scores (lolz) section?

oh well, Thorn already made this debate pointless unless I call SpinDashMaster and make him post!!

Offline FuzZerd

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2010, 09:47:36 pm »
I think you should put the rule against spamming alarms back because I don't holding a spindash for 8 minutes should be a competition.

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2010, 09:52:39 pm »
but that doesn't matter fuzzerd, if Sonic Team didn't prevent it then it should clearly be allowed for competition.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2010, 10:48:57 pm »
^ Protip: sarcastic remarks at people on your side will not aid your argument.

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2010, 10:52:38 pm »
so you mean I can't be satirical about the arguments of those against me?

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2010, 11:00:22 pm »
Oh, you can, but don't expect the other side to cave due to that sort of talk, and don't expect it to make your side seem stronger. I'm looking for the most popular opinion because it's been decided that there will always be an argument for each side, so you'd be better off trying to solicit responses than take potshots at other people.

Offline yoshifan

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2010, 04:10:41 am »
I might not have a particularly strong opinion on this, and I might be way behind on the debate, but I guess I might as well try and post anyway.

It really depends on the players' unanimity of whether the charts are "boring" or "pointless".  One way to look at it is that the rankings are made as a service to our competitors, since the competitors are the ones who are using the rankings.  Therefore, we should try to form the charts/rules to make the playing experience better, whenever reasonable (while maintaining reasonable integrity of the rankings).  In our case, I think all the cases (S1,2,3,&K and SAdva2) seem similar enough to lump into one decision; one would expect about 5-8 minutes of repetitive point scalping.  So it's just up to the preference of those who are really playing the games.

If we decide to do something, then as for the options:

Make a rule - Making a rule against point scalping tricks generally seems too difficult, because repeatedly gaining points a few times (say 2 to 5) tends to be a natural part of gameplay, and making a cap is too arbitrary.

Delete charts - I agree with Zeupar that this seems better than the rule option.  But sometimes people still enjoy playing with the point scalping option (or enjoy getting very high scores for the sake of it).  Also, sometimes non-point scalpers may want to show their scores out of pride, even if it doesn't earn them the highest rank.  I think these are legitimate concerns that a ranking charts system should address.  Deleting the charts doesn't really satisfy these concerns.

Freestyle charts - For the reasons stated above, this would be my preference.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2010, 08:41:50 pm »
My only issue with freestyle is that it's not worth anything, and I think that all aspects of a game should be included when considering who the dedicated master of a game is.  As has been seen, freestyle charts don't often get competition because they aren't worth points (and a fair deal of people compete in games just for sitewide, or just for game%, they play levels they don't enjoy). If we want our charts to look at human maximums and minimums, shouldn't all of these be charted?  I know that running the level and sonic/supersonic/hypersonic for three times seems lame to most people (and worse in S2/S2&K, surely), but... hmm... I guess it's similar to the considerations of adding new Times charts for SCD?

I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense... I've been ill all day, and I'm trying to put my ideas here while I'm having them, since I'm not sure who's heard what in the chatroom.
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Print

Hits: 1,046 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.05 MB | Time: 0.04s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.