don't click here

Sonic Shuffle Re-Trademarked!

Print

Author Topic: Sonic Shuffle Re-Trademarked!  (Read 29789 times)

Offline KnucklesSonic8

Sonic Shuffle Re-Trademarked!
« on: December 16, 2008, 04:04:40 pm »
Does it surprise you that I'm the one who's bringing you this juicy info? :O

I'm still in disbelief but... see for yourself:
http://www.destructoid.com/sonic-shuffle-re-trademarked-by-sega-could-be-nothing-114872.phtml

This may mean nothing but let's I hope it's something!
If they DO bring Sonic Shuffle back and/or make a sequel, I'd be so happy. I'd be re-assured that they HAVE listened all these years. The Wii is the perfect opportunity to bring it back. I've always said that. I just hope my hopes aren't dashed to pieces but if they are, serves me right for setting myself up. XD It's just so close... At least they THOUGHT about Sonic Shuffle. That alone I'm happy about. :P

It's funny... just the other day I snagged the championship after finally realizing that Shuffle charts do exist.
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
Re: Sonic Shuffle Re-Trademarked!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 04:16:12 pm »
Knowing a bit about trademark law, I'd say this is very probably just protectionist rather than indicative that they're doing anything new.

</partypooper>
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 04:25:14 pm »
I know. Just like the Jet Set Radio thing a while back... I still hope it means something though... after all these years...
Wiiloveit

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • TSC: SkyLights
  • win7 firefox
  • YOU CAN PROBABLY READ MY POSTS BETTER NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 04:30:39 pm »
... (of sonic games being complete crap)...

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 08:47:54 pm »
Hey, if they made another Sonic Shuffle that supports the Wii, I would get it.
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 09:58:24 pm »
I bet you'd get every other sonic game sega shovels out these days too. >:0

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 10:40:36 pm »
Mario Party + Sonic Shuffle, perhaps?

that's honestly the ONLY way I can see that happening... *sighs*
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 10:41:48 pm »
Knowing what a big fan I am, I'd get it also.

However, notice what I read on TSS (post):
""If Shuffle IS going to be ported/remade, no one can stop Sega from doing that. I'm guessing it's going to be released in a certain compilation that I've heard about from an inside source (narf, no I'm not saying anymore :]), so I do expect I will buy the disc this game is on regardless if I specifically want SHUFFLE or not."

Hmmm... certain compilation? Imagine if it was Best of Dreamcast compilation or something for Wii. Well, any compilation by SEGA for Wii would be welcomed since there aren't any thus far.

@SkyLights: What's your problem? *someone in the bkgd answers: "So many things..." *shot* XD
@Aitamen: We can hope. Don't worry. I've waited too long for this. XD I'm not prepared to let it go up in flames. Even if it was just remade I'd be happy. Shuffle's mini-games were awesome.
Wiiloveit

Offline DDC20XL

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 12:33:59 am »
Ooh suffle? I thought i coulda been SOOO much better. It had such potential. but seriously, that soda can mingame was crap, that had 2 be THE STUPIDEST minigame eva.

Offline F-Man

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 06:37:59 am »
Ooh suffle? I thought i coulda been SOOO much better. It had such potential. but seriously, that soda can mingame was crap, that had 2 be THE STUPIDEST minigame eva.
Oh please, one of the most brilliant things about Shuffle is the variety of the mini-games. You need easy ones to counterbalance and get a sense of scale.

Why is such a no-fault game being so unappreciated?

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 08:18:05 am »
KS8 makes a good point about a Dreamcast compilation ... though I highly doubt it would be for the Wii.  Because as of yet, every Sonic game on the Dreamcast EXCEPT Shuffle can be played on the Wii in some version (read: the Gamecube versions of SADX and SA2B).  If a Dreamcast compilation is released, it will be for PS3/360, as neither of those can play SA2(B) yet.  Though I have to say, it's about time, SA2 can't be played on much, yet it's a "pivotal" part of the storyline.
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline DDC20XL

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 11:32:57 am »
F-man i'm not saying it was horrible i'm just saying it coulda been better.

and if you remember F-man the soda minigame was based on pure blind luck, not skill. Eggman shakes a soda can and puts it in the machine, the players come up and quickly pick cans at random. 2 results are possible. Either 1 explodes and the char that picked that 1 loses, or none explode and eggman whines. It is impossible 2 tell which can will blow, its really just pure luck. Thats why i thought it was stupid. I wasn't just hating on an "easy" mini-game.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 02:52:48 pm »
^Blind luck? In YOUR party game? Hell no!

...seriously, the whole game has a big luck factor involved, like every party game since the dawn of time. Also, while I wouldn't call it "no-fault" like effy did, it's charming nevertheless and gets quite a bad rap for reasons I can't comprehend.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline DDC20XL

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 06:30:53 pm »
I just wish there was a trick 2 it thats all. I hate depending on 100% blind luck. I didn't mind many of the other minigames though (heck i wish there were more...) and i LUV'D the accident events. So cool and soo much fun.

The specific character abilities were a nice touch and Force jewels kept things interesting. Event skits were'nt too bad either (cept 4 the sleep music, and medusa 1s... "Nooo! if i only had a forcejewel!"T_T) and each stage had its own flair.

The game was pretty good. If another 1 came out i would probably buy it. It just needed a few minor tweaks thats all.

Offline Selphos

• The Eternally Young Scarlet Moon
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Sondow
  • win10 firefox
  • TSC's local Touhou nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 07:00:47 pm »
DDC on behalf of I assume quite a few tscers, I request you stop using 1, 2, and other numbers as replacements for words.

Anyway, I haven't played Shuffle and can't be arsed to go find a Dreamcast emulator since they all suck anyway, but I have kinda wanted to try it out. So I guess this would be interesting.
The moon is so red. Looks like it's going to be a fun night.

Offline ieatatsonic

• TSC's Resident Otaku
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp chrome
  • I started spriting
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 07:33:30 pm »
Mario Party + Sonic Shuffle, perhaps?

that's honestly the ONLY way I can see that happening... *sighs*
MSFGN
Happiness cannot be bought but instead be achieved via countless hours of self-torture.

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 07:52:49 pm »
My main complaints of Sonic Shuffle would be:

-It needed more mini games, and it needed a better way to activate mini games (You needed to land on "event" spaces, and even then you might not get a mini game.). I'm pretty sure I played a game where, aside from accidents, not a single mini game occured. That can make for a pretty weak party game, with all due respect. I'd expect more mini games in a newer version or sequel.

-Loading times. I've played some games with bad loading times before, but this one took the cake. When added together, they extended a game with my friends by at least 15 minutes on average. I assume it wouldn't be as much of an issue in a newer rendition, however.

-Flawless computer intelligence. Sure, they made a few mistakes here and there mini game-wise, but if you had a movement card they wanted/needed, they'd take it, with no guesswork involved; it killed most of the single-player fun in the process. Such intelligence would be easy to nerf in a revision, of course.

-The monster battles. They were responsible for >=50% of the game's loading times, and they were ultra-lame to boot (Choose a card, then be virtually guaranteed to win or lose the "battle" depending on your choice.). If they do anything with this game, they'd better do something about this. If nothing else, they could make it, I don't know, a BATTLE?

Despite its obvious flaws, it was still a decent game. Playing it with actual players compared to computer players made it a great deal more enjoyable, as well.
Never forget who you are.
DeviantART account: (link)

Offline DDC20XL

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 08:34:15 pm »
Sry pidgey i'm kinda used to (gaah) it... i'll try to (grrahh) do it less... XP

and Auriman, i know what you mean. They're AI was so high it made it almost impossible to (so hard...) win in later stages. I'm pretty sure i couldn't get past the forest stage no matter how hard i tried. Even w/ Super Sonic i COULD NOT PASS.

this no number thing is gonna take some gettin' used to (so tempting...).

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 10:46:32 pm »
I'm about as excited about this as I would be if Mario is Missing were re-trademarked.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008, 03:03:12 pm »
I'm about as excited about this as I would be if Mario is Missing were re-trademarked.

So you'd run and hide underneath a large granite rock hoping that when the end does come, it might not make you want to kill yourself?

Returning to the matter at hand, SEGA refused to comment on its reasons for re-trademarking Shuffle, however, they did mention that they have more than a few games in production, at the moment, with teams being stretched thin to make deadlines...

Ranting about this happened at a gaming expo in Oz, iirc, about 2-3 weeks ago
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2008, 07:03:58 pm »
with teams being stretched thin to make deadlines...

OH BOY WHERE HAVE I HEARD THIS BEFORE

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2008, 07:14:32 pm »
The main reason I loved it so much was for the mini-games. If you keep an open mind about it, it's a great game. There's a wide variety of mini-games and many of them are gems you'd replay over again.

and yes, the game is bashed horribly. Second-most bashed game as far as I'm concerned, next to S06 of course.
Wiiloveit

Offline fastnaturedude

• Potential for Anything
  • TSC: Cyan Ryan
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2008, 06:03:58 pm »
oh god

I just had this horrible mental image of a MaSatOG spinoff

"Mario and Sonic on the Party Board" or something

D:

Offline ieatatsonic

• TSC's Resident Otaku
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp chrome
  • I started spriting
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2008, 08:50:10 pm »
oh god

I just had this horrible mental image of a MaSatOG spinoff

"Mario and Sonic on the Party Board" or something

D:
MSFGN
Happiness cannot be bought but instead be achieved via countless hours of self-torture.

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2008, 11:43:46 pm »
Let us not even THINK about that...
Wiiloveit

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2009, 01:00:18 pm »
*BUMP*
What's with SEGA and Trademarks?
http://www.siliconera.com/2008/12/31/seriously-sega-whats-with-all-these-dreamcast-trademarks/

This is great to see.

There was a rumor by my (mostly reliable) source a while back that stated that ChuChu Rocket is in development for Wii (and maybe DS?). This may re-affirm that. If that's the case, then I got a GREAT feeling about this:

They're either going to:
(A) Bring classic DC Games to Wii like what Nintendo is doing with the new Play on Wii series.
(B) Have a Dreamcast Collection (like Sonic Mega Collection).
(C) Revive these games specifically for Wii. Like how Nights and Samba de Amigo (both on Dreamcast) got remade for Wii.

There's a REALLY GOOD chance this'll happen. And I hope it ends up being C.

Don't forget, Virtual-On, and Jet Set Radio got re-trademarked also. I'd say that's a good sign, wouldn't you?
Wiiloveit

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 03:17:46 pm »
The original virtual on is the best fighting game -ever-

I wanna play JSR now :(
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2009, 10:38:27 pm »
Don't forget, Virtual-On, and Jet Set Radio got re-trademarked also. I'd say that's a good sign, wouldn't you?
no

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2009, 08:10:26 am »
^^ They had a different crew from the original...

meanwhile, with the exception of the head-of-art-direction, the JSR crew are still fully employed (or liscensed), within SEGA.

Not sure about the rest, but the producer and director of ChuChu Rocket are both employed (but I believe they're already in high-active projects)

All this is to be taken with a grain of salt, as all of these were from preliminary google searches on present SEGA employment and recent interviews with the heads-of-BS at SEGA, and while I'm fairly certain it's at least mostly correct, I've no real assurance either way.

Offline ieatatsonic

• TSC's Resident Otaku
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp chrome
  • I started spriting
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2009, 12:43:28 pm »
The original virtual on is the best fighting game -ever-

I wanna play JSR now :(

JSR was already re-trademarked :)

Print

Hits: 1,075 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.27 MB | Time: 0.10s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.