don't click here

What in Sonic 06 needs fixing?

Print

Author Topic: What in Sonic 06 needs fixing?  (Read 33821 times)

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
What in Sonic 06 needs fixing?
« on: February 21, 2009, 04:00:09 pm »
I know, I know, it already sounds dumb enough to be nuke-worthy.  But I'm seriously asking here.
If Sonic 06 was re-released SADX style, what exactly in the game needs to be fixed for it to be good?  I mean, I know the game can't be COMPLETE junk (uh, I like the music?) so there has to be some redeeming qualities.  For instance, I've been watching videos lately - the stages themselves seem to be pretty well designed (too bad the gameplay mechanics are horrid).  So yeah, what needs fixing and what shouldn't change?
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline DsSaster

• TSC's KevinTurtle
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: DarkspinesSonic
  • win10 chrome
  • HURRY UP DAMMIT!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: What in Sonic 06 needs fixing?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 04:02:37 pm »
Perhaps if Sonic Team actually finishes the game everything will be as it should be.
I am the champion of TSC! >:D 

Championships held:  Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Adventure (DX), Sonic Heroes, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Riders, Sonic the Fighters, Sonic Battle, Sonic Unleashed (ps2/Wii), Sonic Unleashed (ps3/360), Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Sonic Colors (Wii), Sonic Rivals, Sonic Generations.

Zero Point Championships held:  Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Battle, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

I like my speed runs like my steaks...UNFINISHED!!!

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 04:17:45 pm »
Short answer: The entire game.

Slightly longer answer: Loading times, some control issues, glitches

Offline EngiNerd

• TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 04:22:29 pm »
I was kinda looking for more specifics.  What I know now is, the controls are pretty horrid, some of the characters (namely Silver) are too slow, loading takes up ~90% of the game, and the story is downright absurd.  Oh, and if I was to help fix it, I would also highly recommend Tropical Jungle and Dusty Desert WITHOUT Elise.  But that actually sounds like it.  I know it's a lot more than it sounds, but it doesn't sound like much.
My presssioussss....

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 04:28:11 pm »
A better question would be: What does not need fixing?
(The answer here would be shorter and easier: Music, level design, graphics (even though some textures are pretty lame).)
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 04:30:29 pm »
Maybe I'm being glib, but it's a much easier problem to think of what should stay in >_>  First things that need to go are the story, voice acting, and extraneous characters (particularly Silver because the whole Telekinesis shindig was never really used properly).  Then, fix the shitty camera and controls.  Then you might have a base to build some decent old-school-style levels (although some level design isn't that bad), which concentrate just on being a solid platformer.  That means overhauling the engine, and probably the world/rendering tech, given the load times and glitchiness and whatnot.  It's just not worthwhile.

It'd be quicker to just take the models (because they are pretty nice looking) and start over, and concentrate on only having a solid Sonic-only platformer.  Licensing a decent engine and hiring an entire new team that actually gives a shit (especially the management who are just heritage whores now) are necessities.  Neither will happen, of course.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 07:56:11 pm »
obligatory "NUKE THE DUMB"...

more seriously, (And remember, this is ONLY from the point of view of someone who hasn't played this game), I think the camera needs a new set of mechanics...  UPDATE support would be REALLY nice, as a few patches (like a patch for the above mechanic) would be awesome...

It would make our charts hard to keep up with, yes, but if the game could be "repaired" when broken...
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline fastnaturedude

• Potential for Anything
  • TSC: Cyan Ryan
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 07:59:20 pm »
Everything.

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 08:39:31 pm »
lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 09:03:17 pm »
I see these topics all over gamefaqs.

-I'd like the DLC to not be DLC

-if your going to have support characters, make their supporting efforts make sense within that stage. 

-Redo the enemies and no resting areas where you have to kill 30 robots and such just to pass, it's getting stupid now especially when 1) Sonic isn't a combat heavy game and 2) whatever character you are, you shouldn't feel worried you'd die or get hit if the character has good combating mechanics.

-Get rid of the automated sections (including loops)

-tone down the rails in some areas (should be in spots to get to extra areas or something instead of mandatory especially when grinding is horrible in this game)

-either fix sonic's control in the mach speed sections or take them out (dying because you tripped over a rock isn't fun)

-Shadow should be faster

-NO VECHICLES unless you're playing as Eggman (lol)

-if Silver is kept he needs an actual targeting system.

lastly...get rid of Homing Attack >_>
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline Luxray

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 09:54:42 pm »
<+DsS|away> eat a dick
<+GerbilSoft> actually i could

<Umbreon> sleeping with cruizer is awesome

Offline Parax

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 10:01:13 pm »
-Shadow should be faster

everyone should be faster >_>

-NO VECHICLES unless you're playing as Eggman (lol)

By far the worst part of Shadow's gameplay. qft.

lastly...get rid of Homing Attack >_>

What's wrong with homing attack? It's the only quick offensive move you have.

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 01:46:21 am »
The side characters (except Blaze) also need some serious fixing. They play like their SA incarnations, only horrible. Tails needs faster flight without him (unlike other Sonic games) plummeting straight down when he runs out of stamina. Also his ring attack needs to drop straight down for better aim. Knuckles' punches need to not suck and his wall jump glitch needs addressing. Amy is too freaking slow, her hammer's range is awful and its way too slow.

Most of this game's problems could be fixed with a real good patch, but Sega cares too little to even patch this game.

If this game is to be remade, it needs to cut Elise out of it. I don't pay to see Sonic become CAPTAIN SONIC, DEFENDER OF SQUICK!! Although 4Kids isn't too bad, I like others who posted here, would like to see them replaced since we know Sega can do better. There's far cheaper California based studios like PCB Studios with reputations for teriffic dub reputations, so why not save money to gain higher quality.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Cream147

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 01:16:23 pm »
The homing attack, while good in other sonic games, is pretty lame in this one. It would need serious fixing. The gameplay should be a little closer to Sonic Unleashed, I liked the whole 2d/3d thing of that. However, Sonic Unleashed was a little too focused on reaction tests and speed, a bit more could be given to platforming. There's a time for speed, and a time for platforming, the best Sonic games have both. Sonic '06 currently has neither, at least to any degree of quality. They need to sort that out.

To be honest, I think it would be best to just leave this one alone and focus on making a new game, sometimes it's easier to just start from scratch than try to paper up all the cracks, which is what they'd be doing in trying to fix this game.

Offline Luxray

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 04:33:56 pm »
If there was no homing attack, then Rivals would be an absolute 100% guaranteed failure. Patch '06 up already SEGA >:(
<+DsS|away> eat a dick
<+GerbilSoft> actually i could

<Umbreon> sleeping with cruizer is awesome

Offline flying fox

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 12:58:40 pm »
hm lets see...

Sort out the camera. It would be so good if the camera didn't change positions or go bonkers when I'm tyring to do something crucial such as home attack on and then off the bridge but then end up falling in the water when TAing mission 13 (Shadow).

Sort out the gems. I have trouble changing them because of the D pad it sometimes doesn't register. The LT button would've been better and easier since it's not in use. Also make sure that the gem you want doesn't jump as in you have to go round the cycle again to get the gem you want :(

Get rid of the vehicles. Seriously one slight knock and you're in the water or sand it's rediculous.

Offline Paused

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 08:49:00 pm »
Amongst that already mentioned....

Get rid of the Red Gem.  (Why would you want to get a faster time by slowing your character down? Especially as that character is Sonic?  You know... 'Mr Speed?')

'Adventure fields' fixes.  (Everything should be available at the end of the game from there, all Action stages (All.), all town Missions, all field to field gates. (Why is one always closed?)

Silver Medals/Abilities fixes...  So Silver Medals are supposed to encourage you to explore.  In the game as is it is more of needle in haystack affair, at least to me, at the very least a chore rather than fun.  Yet our abilities to explore are nerfed.  Who here did not think... 'Neat...' when the got that Adventure field Emblem in Adventure1 by spin dashing on the roof of Tails Workshop to get to that cliff ledge?  Yet the spin dash in this game..?

Unlockables for Emblems ala SA2:B.  (Chemical Plant Act1 anyone?)(...Acually with this game mechanics... Never mind.)

Fix the timing on that Flame Geyser after the springs on flame core so you have the ability to dodge it through skill rather than luck.

Bounce attack and Light speed dash are different buttons.

Change the game so everything that was in the manual is in there, or change the manual so everything in there is in the game.

Some kind of explination as to what the hell the 'test of love' thing was all about.  (Logic is telling me just get rid of it, but my morbid curiosity is demanding to know what the hell they were thinking.

Make Omega sound like Omega, rather than a talking toaster.

Change Shadows ending.  (The whole taking off the arm bands deux ex machina is a SonicX thing right?)

Change Silvers ending... kill him off.  Painfully.  With no chance of him pulling a Shadow and coming back.

If your going to shoehorn an *intresting backstory development !!* to a character, at least make it make sense, or clever.... or at least clear.  (I am easily impressed and would have smiled if Blaze had fire powers in Rush due to Iblis now being in her...  And her saying, 'blue hedgehog...' in a ever so mysterious way, just says despite the g=fact you insist on the series having a plot, you do not really know whats going on. (Shall we say this is after Rush... before it?)  If you have to make a plot, make it like you know whats going on.)

Finish putting a fully playable Super Sonic into the game.  (They clearly started at some point...)

Get some new ideas.  Emerald Beach=Sand Ocean, Egg Carrier=Eggmans Battle Ship  Ice Cap (Sonic Adventure1) act2= White Acroplolis Sonic Act1  Chaos=Red Chaos Iblis,  Sonic=   Sonic Re colour   Shadow   Shadow re colour   Silver   Silver re colour   Mephilis  Literal Shadow re colour... 

Or at least stop stealing others ideas... 
Rescuing Princess Peach god knows how many times= Rescuing Princess Elise god knows how many times,
 a furry called Fox chasing a train on MacBeth=a furry called Sonic chasing a train in Soleanna,
Rush Adventure=Zelda=Phantom HourGlass, Unleashed=Zelda Twilight Princess, Chip=Navi, Sonic=Link 
Eggman=Clown Eggman Eggman Nega= Pirate Eggman Captain Whiskers= Elvis Eggman from 'TBA.'

...Sorry, we talking about a game or a series?

Edit;  Egg Carrier playable as Sonic.  (Even if it is just during the Egg Wyvern battle.  I can not be the only person who was disappointed at the lack of ripping the ship up like the Sky Deck in SA1?

Some hint to newbies that light speed dash works in Mach speed areas.  Most people do not have a clue.

Auto Save after Town Missions.  Again, more for Newbies.

(Lives and 1ups, again for newbies?  Relics of a bygon age?)

More Areas like Sonics Jungle act 2.  There were multiple paths!  Several of them!  ...most were rails but.... Mutiple paths!  More than 2!!  in 3D Sonic!!!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 09:20:47 pm by Paused »

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 07:57:15 am »
Get rid of the Red Gem.  (Why would you want to get a faster time by slowing your character down? Especially as that character is Sonic?  You know... 'Mr Speed?')
Err, you don't slow down Sonic. You slow down everything else. So if you were on the outside, Sonic would appear to be moving twice as fast.
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline EngiNerd

• TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 09:41:14 am »
Who here did not think... 'Neat...' when the got that Adventure field Emblem in Adventure1 by spin dashing on the roof of Tails Workshop to get to that cliff ledge? 
I don't think I've EVER gotten that with Sonic.  I always just use Tails.  Same for the one above the train station in Station Square.
My presssioussss....

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 10:08:47 pm »
1: Original Ideas, no more SA.
2: Remove the Soap Characteristics.
3: That new 'Hedgehog' engine on the day stages of Sonic Unleashed.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2009, 01:36:24 pm »
Who here did not think... 'Neat...' when the got that Adventure field Emblem in Adventure1 by spin dashing on the roof of Tails Workshop to get to that cliff ledge? 
I don't think I've EVER gotten that with Sonic.  I always just use Tails.  Same for the one above the train station in Station Square.
I liked being able to get all the AF Emblems in SA as sonic, honestly...
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2009, 10:22:01 pm »
I sure thought neat.

I spent like 15 minutes trying to get it. That was when I was in second grade and new to the Gamecube. And video games in general.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 07:15:42 pm »
I was in second grade and new to the Gamecube.

this is a good wake-up call for me

Offline Nario

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 09:19:46 am »
I thought I'd pop in and say: no one has the right to even ask what's wrong with Sonic 2006 until s/he gets every single achievement for the game. It takes about 50 hours to do and it's one of the most frustrating accomplishments I have ever done.

With that said, I am going to be very specific when I say the whole game needs fixing. Yeah, I'm being dead serious.

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2009, 06:39:46 pm »
nothing. its great

Print

Hits: 447 | Hits This Month: 4 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.35 MB | Time: 0.07s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.