don't click here

Super Mario Brothers DX

Print

Author Topic: Super Mario Brothers DX  (Read 7827 times)

Offline X-5

Super Mario Brothers DX
« on: August 28, 2009, 09:14:00 pm »
I have had this game since 1999 when it came out and loved it, but I lost it since I was such a irresponsible kid back then..but I just found the game a few days ago!

Now I remember why this game is so awesome! you not only get the original game but you get the challenge mode which is just f'ing AWESOMELY fun and adds tons of gameplay time, plus youVboo, the toy box, a picture gallery and even the lost levels! (most of them anyway)  the game does have a few flaws like the camera issue, but really that is no big deal.

To the point of this topic..I was wondering something about the scores. Is there an invisible rule that says you cannot kick a Koopa shell more than once? Cause I noticed on the N64 hs they abuse the shells(or so I assume) and get really high scores, for example 100k+ on W1-1 whereas the record on this site is 46k, which is probably done playing regularly.

Is this the case? if so that would be really awesome, cause honestly who wants to kick a shell over and over again for a high score.. that is just boring and a waste of time, playing through regularly getting combo's and doing it all quick is the fun way.

Offline yoshifan

Re: Super Mario Brothers DX
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 03:29:11 pm »
Yeah, I'm aware that koopa shell abuse leads to higher scores, but I really wasn't sure what to do about it.  It's possible to accidentally kick a shell twice, and ideally we don't want to prevent things that you'd just do by accident while playing normally.  I think this is the reason why TSC has usually allowed "point-scalping" tricks just like these.  Personally though, I don't like the idea of the (main) competition getting really repetitive.  I love playing the game normally as much as you do, and so all of my scores so far were obtained without shell abuse.

By the way, I'm fairly sure that many of the N64HS scores were done with basic repetitive shell kicking, but there's an additional trick that leads to even higher scores in some levels.  If you check out David Wonn's site, you can find an explanation of the trick: http://davidwonn.kontek.net/gameboy.html#S

Offline X-5

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 04:47:23 pm »
oh, so basically you can do whatever you want but so far everybody has played the fun way and submitted that...hopefully, it will stay that way.

Offline X-5

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 06:33:13 pm »
I'm the new SMBDX champion!!! Hehe.. not like it really proves anything :P Though it is still my first championship, whether good or bad.

I am definitely going to try to hold the championship and get all the youVSboo records, as well as some really good score records. Maybe once the levels have good records some competition will start up for the #1 spot.

Offline X-5

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 09:11:24 pm »
Now I have all the YouVSBoo records! Not a really big accomplishment yet since a few need improvement, but I am proud of myself so far.

I think 5 of them are perfect(tied with SM) 1 may be close to perfect (1-3) and the other two need a fair amount of improvement (2-1 and 2-2)

2-2 can probably go to at least 182, and 2-1 is probably capable of somewhere between 225-235, I am going to make a little TAS of it tonight(without slowdown) and see what I get, then shoot for that on the real GBA. It should be possible to match, just tough. SM must of only tried once or twice to only get a sloooooooow 210 :P

Edit: I TAS's 2-1, and got 226! I had no idea my 223 was that close to being perfect. I think I can do 226 on the GBA, at least 225 allowing a tiny bit of error. Either will be a great record!

Edit again: Okay I guess 229 was not perfect after all cause I TAS'd a 231 with optimal falling, but 229 is still damn good, maybe I can go for 230.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 10:28:20 pm by Paragod »

Offline yoshifan

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 02:28:45 pm »
Nice job, some of your records look really good.  I'm mostly playing other games right now, but I could give you some occasional competition here.  I remember I had good strategies on most of the You vs. Boo levels before, but didn't get around to perfecting them or writing down my times.

Offline X-5

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 12:04:56 pm »
thanks, I look forward to any competition that may arise from you. :) Check out all my latest times though, I believe I have finally perfected every single one, so I only have to focus on high scores now. Go ahead and see if you have a better strategy than me and beat them. :P I wouldn't be too surprised if you did, but they should hold up cause I cannot find any faster ways for any of them.

I recorded perfect runs of 1-3 and and 2-1 if you don't already have the optimal strategy for them.

(1-3)
(2-1)

These are both TAS, but after making them I was able to achieve both on the GBA without too much trouble, just takes a little bit a practice, mostly memorization..Goodluck!

Offline Talon

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 02:32:58 pm »
I read this topic a while ago and searched around for my my old game boy games and i found it. Though the file corrupted and i had to start again, but once i get the data back, i'll be ready to face you

Offline X-5

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 10:44:06 pm »
Bring it on! :)

Most of my scores really really suck, but I just wanted to fill them all out. I will be good at setting scores, someday...

Offline Talon

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 12:41:03 pm »
Your scores seem good, but i've never really tried for high scores. Anyway, i'm taking my time to do the game since i'm playing SMB1 now.

Print

Hits: 170 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.01 MB | Time: 0.06s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.