don't click here

i call suspicion on llcooldave

Print

Author Topic: i call suspicion on llcooldave  (Read 9092 times)

Offline ieatatsonic

• TSC's Resident Otaku
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp chrome
  • I started spriting
    • View Profile
i call suspicion on llcooldave
« on: August 31, 2009, 05:07:35 pm »
i have looked at some of his stats, and some of them are questionable. i particularly want to mention his time for gnarly in smw.
http://mario.soniccenter.org/members/llcooldave/super_mario_world_ntsc/times/gnarly/normal

please reply with a description of your strategy or a form of media.

also i know i can't call bs just because it 'doesn't look right' but this seemed odd
Happiness cannot be bought but instead be achieved via countless hours of self-torture.

Offline Talon

Re: i call suspicion on llcooldave
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 10:47:31 am »
Hmm, I tried this level and i could get 245 at the most. It's also videoed. Not sure about the 247, probably a new trick.

Offline ieatatsonic

• TSC's Resident Otaku
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp chrome
  • I started spriting
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 08:38:38 pm »
I got my 251 with a snapshot. When I did the initial run I knew that the time could be improved by 1 or 2 seconds....

But 6 seconds sounds odd, I mean with the strategy I used it's easy to get 251 and possibly a 252. I'm curious as to see what strat this guy used.
Happiness cannot be bought but instead be achieved via countless hours of self-torture.

Offline Talon

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 08:41:41 pm »
hm, i'll try a few strats and see if i could come close

Offline yoshifan

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 12:37:31 am »
I know LLCoolDave visits Speed Demos Archive often, so if I see him in the SDA chat then I'll ask him about this.  At one point he registered to the Mario Center and dropped off his SMW stats that he achieved a long time ago.  It's possible that a time was entered incorrectly by accident, or something.  I do think he was well aware of the start-without-powerups rule, though.

Offline Talon

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 09:40:38 am »
Ok, it took me a while (About an hour) but i managed 257 with a fast way to defeat the hammer brother near the end. I used an emulator this time since i only have PAL version of the SNES, but i used no slowdowns, savestates or power-ups at the beginning. So it is possible to get 257. We still need to see some proof though

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 02:08:07 am »
I can't really give any form of proof because all these scores are from the end of 2003. I definitely did not use powerups or savestates, because those were the rules of our competition back then as well, but I really don't recall how I did the level after over 5 years, and there's a non-zero chance the number I wrote down is wrong. Here's the list I got from back then: http://thps3.net/LLCD_MTA.txt
I may have a couple of emulator replay files I recorded back then, but they probably are on a HDD burried deep somewhere in the basement, so no real chance of finding them. If anything seems particularly suspicious, I won't object removing the scores. I can't absolutely guarantee or proof the integrity of them, so all you really have is my word that I took good care on maintainig that score list years ago.

Offline Talon

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 11:43:10 am »
I know how to get 257 and you seem like a good player, so you might get to keep those scores, just ask yoshifan or ieatatsonic to see if they will allow you.

Offline yoshifan

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 09:42:52 pm »
I just played Gnarly myself, and I agree that a time of 257 or better should be doable.  I got 260 on the GBA version (which isn't allowed for competition, but should only have fairly small differences).

Anyway, I think all suspicions are cleared here for now, so no proof will be needed.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 09:53:55 pm by yoshifan »

Offline ieatatsonic

• TSC's Resident Otaku
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp chrome
  • I started spriting
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 06:03:01 pm »
Okay, That sounds reasonable. It didn't seem right, but since you got 260 on the GBA, I guess it is possible. I never really knew how I got mine, so maybe if I knew I could improve.

Print

Hits: 241 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.02 MB | Time: 0.14s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.