don't click here

I thought we couldn't die in the middle of our runs...

Print

Author Topic: I thought we couldn't die in the middle of our runs...  (Read 5096 times)

I thought we couldn't die in the middle of our runs...
« on: December 16, 2009, 09:21:10 pm »
It says in the rules that we have to do our levels in single, contiuous runs. Well for many of the treasure hunting runs in SA2B, runs, peple do die. Does this not count for the treasure hunting missions or am i just taking this the wrong way?

Offline Luxray

Re: I thought we couldn't die in the middle of our runs...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 09:23:32 pm »
Scores must be attained in a single continuous run (without deaths).

Only your scores must be without deaths. In certain games, deaths are allowed for times.
<+DsS|away> eat a dick
<+GerbilSoft> actually i could

<Umbreon> sleeping with cruizer is awesome

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 09:26:23 pm »
Oh. kthnks

Offline SadisticMystic

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 09:37:37 pm »
The only reason scores even need to be deathless is in game where they're cumulative; you could bop an enemy for 100, get a 1-up, die, bop the same enemy on your next life for 100 more and just rack up the points while never running out of lives.

Conversely, times must be cumulative through respawns, at least for whatever time it took to get to the check you're spawning from. You could hit the last checkpoint in a Sonic 2 level, then wait until time over and you'd respawn from the check with 0:00 on the clock. That certainly doesn't count. If you just die, instead of getting a time over, the clock still reads what it did when you got there (at least within a second) and you're allowed to continue from that.

I remember a time when the Cosmic Wall rings strat involved a death: you would intentionally tank at check 4 so that you could respawn there and hit 5, 6, 2, and 1 for bonuses before returning to start with all the level's rings available to you. (That was before forward rail 1 skip made it unnecessary.)

Offline Luxray

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 09:45:45 pm »
Conversely, times must be cumulative through respawns, at least for whatever time it took to get to the check you're spawning from. You could hit the last checkpoint in a Sonic 2 level, then wait until time over and you'd respawn from the check with 0:00 on the clock. That certainly doesn't count. If you just die, instead of getting a time over, the clock still reads what it did when you got there (at least within a second) and you're allowed to continue from that.

That falls under the "Using any method to reset the timer to zero in the middle of a level is not allowed." rule.
<+DsS|away> eat a dick
<+GerbilSoft> actually i could

<Umbreon> sleeping with cruizer is awesome

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 06:29:06 am »
I'm 99.9% sure that's what he was explaining.
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Print

Hits: 133 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.00 MB | Time: 0.11s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.