don't click here

SDA Marathon: Classic Games Done Quick

Print

Author Topic: SDA Marathon: Classic Games Done Quick  (Read 8747 times)

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
SDA Marathon: Classic Games Done Quick
« on: December 02, 2009, 02:23:05 am »
Some of you will have heard me raving about this thing no end for the past few months. Some of you will have been involved in the planning over at SDA, or being asked to participate.

As of today, the marathon has a home page, which during the 54-hour marathon on January 1-3 (EST) will carry an embedded ustream link displaying the goings-on on-site.

The marathon is in support of CARE, a leading humanitarian organisation fighting global poverty. SDA will be taking donations throughout the event.

This part is lifted straight off the page because I couldn't say it better myself X)

Special Events
During the marathon, we'll be holding several special events to keep things exciting:
Pianotoads - Watch and listen as Battletoads experts Emptyeye and DJ Mike Haggar race to Kareshi's piano accompaniment of the game's music!
Speedrun races - Root for your favorite speed runners as they battle it out. May the fastest win!
Runner interviews - After our runners finish obliterating classic games, they'll be sharing tips and tricks, all streamed live.

The TSCers involved are myself and stanski. My schedule is: Sonic 1 (racing stanski) [Jan 2, 3:49pm], Sonic 3 & Knuckles [4:45pm], Vectorman [6pm], Vectorman 2 [6:20pm], Donkey Kong Country 3 [8:27pm].
stanski's schedule is Castlevania: Bloodlines [Jan 2, 9:58am], Altered Beast (2p with mikwuyma) [3:41pm], Sonic 1 (racing mike89) [3:49pm], Sonic 2 [4:19pm], Donkey Kong [6:35pm], Toy Story [Jan 3, 8:55am].

So make sure you watch, and give generously to a worthy cause!

<3 Thorn.

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
Re: SDA Marathon: Classic Games Done Quick
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 06:03:04 pm »
OK as you guys may or may not know this event is occurring in just FOUR DAYS now :O

Also stanski can't make it D: so I get the whole Sonic series. I think we only have two races or something now :( but on the plus side there's a number of co-op runs such as SMB3 and TMNT2.

I think the schedule's being updated on the main site tonight, so go have a look at that to see when your favourite game is coming up!

<3 Thorn.

Offline yoshifan

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 02:22:20 am »
Definitely looking forward to watching some Sonic and Mario runs.  Good luck, mike!

Offline flying fox

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 01:37:29 pm »
I'll definitely be watching but probably not all of it, the router gets switched off near 12ish >_> Good luck :)

Also I see Sonic 1 starts at 2:33 pm EST does anyone know time that would be for the Brits? I was told that they are 5 hours behind us, so I'm guessing that it would start 7:33 here in England am I right? :o

Offline yoshifan

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 12:32:55 am »
Yeah, that's correct about the timezones.  However, the event started 3 to 3.5 hours late due to technical difficulties, so all the upcoming runs will probably be pushed back some amount (depending on how much the speedrunners can catch up on the schedule).

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 05:28:07 pm »
Results:

S1: Two early deaths (including a spike glitch in GH2) had the run in question, as Stefan, myself, and Doug threatened to shun mike if he GO'd. Luckily he did not.

S2 (voted Knuckles by donations): THREE deaths in CP2 made the run funny to watch on the commentary side. Mike did get a PR performing the skip in Metropolis 3, however, gaining a 2:06.

S3K (voted Tails by donations): Completely deathless. Pulled off the leap of faith flying under most of FB1 first attempt (which not only could he not do it unless he was Tails, but he also got the bragging rights of saying "unlike all the other tricks which I stole, this one I came up with myself"). IMO should be put on SDA as the single-segment run. SO2 was also done without lights, for what it's worth.
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Print

Hits: 1,536 | Hits This Month: 4 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.00 MB | Time: 0.08s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.