don't click here

Attn: Yoshifan; Cort_PSO's false #1 score on Mario vs Donkey Kong

Print

Author Topic: Attn: Yoshifan; Cort_PSO's false #1 score on Mario vs Donkey Kong  (Read 8170 times)

Offline Prenz

I am new here, guys, but I think this is where to go to point out impossible or incorrectly submitted records.

Please check out the top score on level 4-1.  I would like to see proof for Cort_PSO's 31,950 if the player claims this was not a typo.  It is impossible to finish that level with XX,X50 since there are no bricks in that level to make scores ending in 50 possible.

I believe the player should re-check his game and submit the correct score, in the meantime, please remove it or ask for proof from the player.

Thanks,
Prenz
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 11:12:05 am by Prenz »

Offline yoshifan

Re: Attn: Yoshifan; Cort_PSO's false #1 score on Mario vs Donkey Kong
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 07:15:14 pm »
Yeah, you're in the right place.  I'll send Cort a PM, then.  I remember noticing this score before, but forgot to tell him about it; I think he's a trustworthy player so it's probably a typo.

Offline Prenz

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 11:17:39 pm »
Great :)  I noticed that Cort has changed his score to match mine, to 30,900.

Now, this is one of the toughest records in World 4, and gave myself and packattack a very hard time last year.  I'd like Cort to again, verify his actual record on the game if he still owns it.  I want to give the benefit of the doubt, but this score is out of place with his other subs still.  Please check, Cort.

-Prenz

Offline Cort

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 11:33:20 pm »
Great :)  I noticed that Cort has changed his score to match mine, to 30,900.

Now, this is one of the toughest records in World 4, and gave myself and packattack a very hard time last year.  I'd like Cort to again, verify his actual record on the game if he still owns it.  I want to give the benefit of the doubt, but this score is out of place with his other subs still.  Please check, Cort.

-Prenz

I had the original game + GameBoyAdvanced when I put this status and changed the status to 30,900 because I had saved in the emulator

SORRY and Welcome to The Mario Center

Offline Prenz

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 11:37:39 pm »
Cort, I don't think you achieved 30,900 on 4-1.  I'd officially like to see proof if that is something that is done at the Mario Center... otherwise please erase the score.

Thanks for the welcome and sorry about the topic, but scores should be honest and real here I believe.

Offline yoshifan

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 11:55:05 pm »
I don't personally know how tough 30900 is, but I'm inclined to take your word for it, as I've played the game a lot as well.

I've asked Cort to replay the level and then submit the score that he gets; that should be enough.

Offline Cort

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 01:21:22 am »
Cort, I don't think you achieved 30,900 on 4-1.  I'd officially like to see proof if that is something that is done at the Mario Center... otherwise please erase the score.

Thanks for the welcome and sorry about the topic, but scores should be honest and real here I believe.

I hope this is more than enough

Offline Prenz

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 02:51:33 am »
Um, no.  A picture with the GameBoy Advance (or GBA SP, or DS) clearly visible would be enough.  Not an emulator.  I think this needs further investigation, I don't believe you achieved this score fairly on a Game Boy.

There is a very complex and detailed strat that requires masterful execution for this score.  That is why I am not inclined to believe you.  You posted an impossibly high score before this, of 31,950, with a comment "That was close!".  Then you just changed your score to mine, from what I can tell.

Offline yoshifan

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 03:36:51 am »
Prenz, the Mario Center (and the greater Sonic Center) allows playing on an emulator.  This is partly for greater accessibility of the older games such as the original Super Mario Bros. series, but it's also because we're more lax about proof compared to sites like Cyberscore.  Every competition site has a balance of strictness and accessibility, and ours leans more toward accessibility.

I'm not saying that an emulator picture should remove all doubts, but it's a reasonable display of good faith.  Considering that only one record is in question (and it's not even untied), I don't see much point in pressing further for now.

In other words, Cort's scores will not be removed.  I hope you understand my decision; please let me know if there are any other problems.

Offline Prenz

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 03:43:19 am »
I do think there was foul play here, that's the only thing.  Cort changed his score to 30,900 just moments after he came online and saw the thread saying 31,950 was impossible.  It took packattack and I months of battling to figure out that 4-1 could go so high as 30,900.  It cannot likely be achieved in an instant of trying, being realistic now.

Cort could easily properly prove that score by letting you serve as a moderator in the issue, and describing his strategy to you, as someone very familiar with the inner workings of the game.  If his strategy is indeed a WR strategy, which I or packattack could confirm, then I hold my head in shame for this mistake.

However, I believe someone is taking a free ride on my score.  I guess it's no big deal, I won't push it further...

Offline yoshifan

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 03:57:08 am »
To be fair, he did say he had 30900 saved on emulator.  Anyway, I can try asking for a strategy, but won't go through great pains to do so (Cort isn't a native speaker of English).  Thanks for understanding though.

Print

Hits: 138 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.01 MB | Time: 0.12s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.