don't click here

Rocket Knight is awesome!

Print

Author Topic: Rocket Knight is awesome!  (Read 6083 times)

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
Rocket Knight is awesome!
« on: May 26, 2010, 11:03:26 am »
Ok, so I picked up Rocket Knight last night to celebrate two of my best friends driving a couple hundred miles to see me, and it is fucking amazing, and unless a LOT changes as the game goes on, it joins the ranks of MM9/10 as awesome retro-made-new games. 

I may wind up posting scores/times here.

OH HOLY SHIT IT'S AWESOME!
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Re: Rocket Knight is awesome!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 12:33:32 am »
This is quite true... Quite true indeed. I haven't gotten very far into it, just to the bigger boss battle (after fighting Axel Gear the first time). Unfortunately, my comp lags the hell out of the game, but I'll fix that before I play again.

The music's great (though imo RKA's OST > all), the nods to the RKA are awesome, and the controls are easy to learn. My only complaint is rather insignificant: that the levels seem a little too long. That doesn't take away from the game though, so it's all good. B)

I can't wait to start playing it again~

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 08:19:55 pm »
I love it as well. The only thing that really got me, at least on the first playthrough, is that the default difficulty is -really- easy, but the unlockable difficulty definitely fixes that.

So in short, as long as you don't expect it to be exactly like Rocket Knight Adventures, it's a really good game in its own right.

BTW if either of you have the 360 version I'm InsigniaTSC on the leaderboards. At present my Arcade time is second (38:34), and I don't think I hold any level records any more either :(

<3 Thorn.

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 10:28:06 pm »
If I had a 360, I definitely would. Alas, I am 360-less. :(

Also, just a little off-side note on the series... RKA and Sparkster both had different charge-up times for the rocketpack (medium-fast speed vs. near instant), and I wondered how it'd be executed in Rocket Knight. I saw how slow it charged up in a video preview and wondered if it'd affect gameplay negatively - so far, I am glad to say, it does not. (:

Offline Taillow

• Changing forum names is lame...
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Quartz
  • win81 chrome
  • ...but it didn't stop me from doing it again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 10:36:26 pm »
Oh hey, a Rocket Knight topic.

I got it the moment it came out on Steam, played it, got EVERYTHING (steam achievements and unlockables) and I haven't played it much since then.

Dunno if I'll do time competition, but I did get 24...something on 3-1 score.  At the time it was first on Steam (Dunno what it is now) but I know it can get into 25 or 26 instead of 24.

(I forget how many zeroes followed, so...)

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I love it.  I've just been too busy with other games to get back into it.

EDIT 2: And Isis, the charge is actually a gradual lowering when it rises.  When you're at nothing it rises quite quickly (Not fast enough to chain boosts immediately, but fast enough) so yeah, it doesn't hinder you all that much.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 10:43:07 pm by Taillow »
Hi

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 11:55:35 am »
I don't keep myself connected to XBL, because the cable would have to cross the living room, or I'd have to buy an adapter for it, but it's good to have a goal.

Played through the first time on Hard, so the difficulty thing was still there.  Great game in it's own right, and the retro-storytelling is just as it was.  The soundtrack/SFX could've been tweaked a little more, I think, but the stylistic differences in the sounds aren't really appealing to me, so I just call it good for where they went with it.

I do kinda like the separation of the sword and the projectile, but it annoys me that the sword is no longer magic (I know, it's to make the Shmup parts work like they want, but still, continuity... and yes, you're a geek to if you're reading this, so stfu)

Regardless of the little nitpicks, this game blurs the line between retro and modern gaming in ways that make me smile.

If only SEGA's S4 was what this is to RKA/Sparkster... *sigh*
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Print

Hits: 584 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.01 MB | Time: 0.10s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.