don't click here

(Possible) Return of the TSC Level Design Contest

Print

Author Topic: (Possible) Return of the TSC Level Design Contest  (Read 12931 times)

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
(Possible) Return of the TSC Level Design Contest
« on: January 05, 2011, 05:15:52 pm »
The last time we had a level design contest, we used this fan game. It was a little finicky, but it served its purpose. Also, it was fun. I'm somewhat interested in giving such a contest another go. However, I'd like to move from that fangame to an actual Sonic engine, using SonED2.

Basically, I'd provide the source code, level assets, object definitions, and perhaps a small selection of music, and you guys can edit to your heart's content without having to know a thing about coding. At the end of the contest, I'll pack everything you guys make into one ROM and send it off to the Sonic Retro userbase for judging instead of making douglas do it like last time.

Of course, this only works if people care (and TSC was much more caring at the time of the last contest). There's really no prize, just the satisfaction of beating somebody else from TSC. If you're interested, let me know here. I'll figure out a few more specifics (such as which game's source code to use) after I know this will go somewhere.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline Luxray

Re: (Possible) Return of the TSC Level Design Contest
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 10:23:29 pm »
If someone were able to wire me some money, i could ship the winner my huge emerald as a prize :o
<+DsS|away> eat a dick
<+GerbilSoft> actually i could

<Umbreon> sleeping with cruizer is awesome

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 10:25:54 pm »
Can I submit Sonic 1 Difficult Delusions?
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Firstkirbyever

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 10:28:27 pm »
Great, even more reasons to work on my Sonic 1 hack. Curse you Thorn, you shall pay for this! $50 to be exact.
"Don't like sea-food? Well there is GROUND beef!"

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 06:36:13 am »
I could be game. I'd have to figure out SonED2 (I think I did finally download it on my machine though, like months ago) and find time, but considering I've done almost nothing with my software degree this could maybe be the spark that gets me going again.

Hell, it might make those game design classes I took useful.
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline Parax

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 06:49:07 am »
I'm up for this, never done anything like it before but I'm interested to find out whether I'd be any good at this sort of thing.

Offline ieatatsonic

• TSC's Resident Otaku
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp chrome
  • I started spriting
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 02:16:41 pm »
I'd be very interested. All that would matter would be what type of level people would be looking for.
Happiness cannot be bought but instead be achieved via countless hours of self-torture.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 04:12:46 pm »
build levels without coding?  sounds pretty sweet to me.

which game are we using as a base?

EDIT: also, you should contact the guy who made it SonicDIY with our levels pack, if you haven't, and see what he thinks.  he scrapped the project, and I think that's sad because aside from the BS war of doom, it was one megashitton (exactly~) of fun.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 04:21:26 pm by Aitamen »
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 12:55:04 pm »
Right, so it seems like there's more than enough interest in this to make it worth putting the time in. So the question remains: what level do you guys want to design? I'm going to narrow it down to a few choices right away because I want things to be as simple as possible.
  • Green Hill 1 - this level uses 256x256 "chunks", the largest pieces of level you manipulate when building the layout. The level only has one collision path, so it's difficult to do crossing paths and fancy loops, but almost everything that looks solid actually is solid. I would probably add the spin dash to the source code.
  • Emerald Hill 1 - this level uses 128x128 chunks, meaning you need to lay four times as many chunks as you would in Green Hill 1. It uses two collision paths, meaning you'll need to check to see what's solid as you build the layout and carefully guide Sonic onto the proper path, but you'll be able to build more complex designs. I would add the ability to place more than 255 rings to the source code.
  • Cascade Valley 1 - yes, the level assets from my hack. It's essentially a heavily modified Emerald Hill 1; I put this as an option because even though it's not "official", I've worked with it long enough to add a few more objects to the level and to know the ins and outs, so I can help you guys if you get stuck. Some of the extra assets require a good knowledge of collision paths and switching between them properly, though.

Vote plz.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline SonicandInuyasha

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 10:57:46 pm »
I don't hack. I just play the hacks. If you guys want to know, My fav hack is Sonic 1 Megamix.
I love to play Mario and Sonic games with a mix of Donkey Kong and Kirby games. Yes I'm a Nintendo nerd.

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 06:40:54 am »
I'd say EH since S2's pretty much the only thing I've even tried on. So yeah.
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 07:42:10 am »
I'd also vote for EH, because I could design the level based on mechanics I know (If I do this).
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline ieatatsonic

• TSC's Resident Otaku
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp chrome
  • I started spriting
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 06:47:32 pm »
Eh, EH.
Happiness cannot be bought but instead be achieved via countless hours of self-torture.

Offline Cream147

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 04:33:19 pm »
I'd definitely be up for this. I want a bit of practice with SonED 2 and level designing and this would be perfect. I'll go with the general consensus of Emerald Hill as well.

Print

Hits: 738 | Hits This Month: 4 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.12 MB | Time: 0.05s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.