don't click here

Sonic 2 Chemical Plant How the Pipes Work?

Print

Author Topic: Sonic 2 Chemical Plant How the Pipes Work?  (Read 13911 times)

Sonic 2 Chemical Plant How the Pipes Work?
« on: May 18, 2011, 12:37:30 am »
I have been playing Sonic 2 for years. I grew up with the game as a kid but recently I've been trying to figure out how in the heck the pipes work in the Chemical Plant Zones. There are many places where a single entrance to a pipe will split into two different paths and what I need to know is how the game decides what path Sonic will take.

Is this a random element or can the player control what path Sonic will take once he goes into the pipe? Anyone know or have an idea. Thanks.

Oh, by the way I'm brand new here. This is my first post.

Offline SadisticMystic

Re: Sonic 2 Chemical Plant How the Pipes Work?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 12:41:38 am »
It has to do with the parity of the seconds. If it's an odd number you'll go one way, if it's even you'll go the other.

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 08:22:31 am »
You know, I've always wondered that ... thanks
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 04:02:24 pm »
...you didn't know that?

Offline Rusty Rom

• Diamond Smasher
  • TSC Profile
  • android chrome
  • Pro Brasilia fiant eximia
    • View Profile
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 04:14:40 pm »
Well, lemme explain it more precisely. At times finishing in 0,2,4,6 or 8 you go through one way; at times finishing in 1,3,5,7 or 9 you automatically go through the another way.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 12:20:46 pm »
Well, lemme explain it more precisely. At times finishing in 0,2,4,6 or 8 you go through one way; at times finishing in 1,3,5,7 or 9 you automatically go through the another way.

It has to do with the parity of the seconds. If it's an odd number you'll go one way, if it's even you'll go the other.

Romulo, how is your way more precise? It's literally the exact same thing.

However,
   move.b   (Timer_second).w,d2
   andi.b   #1,d2

might be more precise, as these two instructions are run in the code for the tube objects any time a tube is found to have more than one branch. The tube object gets the sequence of eight bits formed by the seconds value expressed in binary, then does a logical AND against the sequence of eight bits formed by the number 1 expressed in binary (still 1). This has the effect of creating the value 0 if the seconds value is even (since its bits necessarily end in 0) or 1 if the seconds value is odd (since its bits necessarily end in 1). This value is used later to determine the coordinates the player should be moved to.

Needlessly complex? Yes. Interesting? Probably not. But that is how you be more precise: by showing how the game checks the parity of the seconds.~
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline flyby

• Lurker in the Shadows~
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp chrome
  • Livin' the dream~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 07:09:00 pm »
He's precisely defining what odd and even mean!
:)

Offline SonicandInuyasha

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 12:57:54 am »
Maybe if it's just me. But I really did not know or even care about this. I bet this zone so fast that I did not see that.
I love to play Mario and Sonic games with a mix of Donkey Kong and Kirby games. Yes I'm a Nintendo nerd.

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 03:56:09 am »
Maybe if it's just me. But I really did not know or even care about this. I bet this zone so fast that I did not see that.
You have green and blue stats on CP1&2.
Stop talking.

Print

Hits: 2,818 | Hits This Month: 13 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.07 MB | Time: 0.08s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.