don't click here

Backwards Compat Questions

Print

Author Topic: Backwards Compat Questions  (Read 11279 times)

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
Backwards Compat Questions
« on: April 28, 2012, 06:38:46 pm »
Oh hey look, Minus isn't dead yet.  Yay.

Anyways ... instead of doing any, yanno, competition, I've been looking at, let's just say my gaming todo list.  Got a job, moved states, now have my own place where my "I hate video games" mother isn't here to tell me what to spend my money on.  Time to work on expanding my collection to stuff other than PC and Wii.

Thing is, there's a lot of old games on this list, and it's hard to tell what systems are backwards compatible with other systems.  Ideally, I'd like to do this as efficiently as possible, by investing in as few systems as possible.

I think I'm pretty well covered with how the Nintendo consoles work with backwards compatibility; there's a grand total of one game in that list that isn't Wii, GC or on the Virtual Console (frigging DK64).

How do the Nintendo handhelds cover backwards compatibility?  There are games as old as the original Game Boy that I'd like to try to find.  I'm aware that the GBA can play GB/GBC games, and that the DS has some degree of GBA compatibility?  And what about the 3DS?

I've heard that while PS2 and PS3 can generally play all PS1 games, but that only certain PS3s can play PS2 games (ones with 4 USB ports).  Does that mean those PS3s are good for all PS2 games or only a selection?  And do PSP games work on the Vita?

I don't think I have much of a question with the XBox/360 ... there are only a couple games on the former that I can't get with Steam anyways.  Any help or comments are appreciated, thanks.

P.S. I'm trying to avoid emulators if I can ... those of you who remember me when I was more active here already know this.  I'm okay with using an emulator for something I own legally, but not for something I don't own myself.
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Re: Backwards Compat Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 06:42:15 pm »
DS plays GBA games, DSi and 3DS can't.

PS3s that can play PS2 discs will play all of them.  No idea about Vita.

Offline bertin

• TSC's weeaboo
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 chrome
  • おっとの早苗
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 06:47:00 pm »
PS3s that can play PS2 discs will play all of them.  No idea about Vita.

Not all of them. It's kind of like how the 360 is with Xbox games. Here is a list of what is compatible with the PS3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_3_backward_compatible_PlayStation_2_and_PlayStation_games

Offline SpanielWare

• One can dream of a new Sega console, can't they?
  • TSC: danieldude
  • win10 chrome
  • "Better behave yourselves..."
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 05:24:26 am »
As said before, original Gameboy games and Gameboy Color games (and of course GBA games) will work on a GBA SP. DS and DSL will play GBA and NDS games, DSi and DSi XL will play NDS games, and 3DS will play NDS and, of course, 3DS games. PS2 will play most PS1 games (just make sure to save on a PS1 memory card) but only the rarer older PS3 models have backwards compatibility (however the PS store has a vast amount of PS1 games available). As far as I'm aware you can't play PSP games on the Vita, but from what I've looked up you can buy many of them on the PS store. Looks like you're good with the other nintendo consoles and xbox, so... yeah. Any other questions, just ask.
Also, bear in mind regions!
StH JJ1 Sega++>+++ WkS+ AdS++ Arc++ Sal+++i!^"t Tal+++i^t Ant++ Coc++ Amy++!^"t Pen++!^" P+{++} Dfho{psw}[w] $+++{++++} E17~ Ay98 GM CoUK | Sega Technical Institute... engenders an unfortunate initialism.

<Starlight_Glimmer> i dont make the news I just report it

Offline EngiNerd

• TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 12:39:50 pm »
Hm ... from what I can tell, there's only one Vita exclusive I even remotely care about (Gravity Rush or w/e), and that everything on my list so far for the PS1/PS2 is on that list for the PS3... problem there becomes finding a PS3 with that support.  XBox ... is still kinda lame IMO but at least it seems to be covered well (there's just so few good exclusives on a console from a company that makes PCs anyways).

EDIT: So Amazon's prices are implying that it may be cheaper to get a PS2 and a recent PS3 instead of looking for a compatible PS3.  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 03:19:09 pm by EngiNerd »
My presssioussss....

Offline bertin

• TSC's weeaboo
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 chrome
  • おっとの早苗
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 08:23:37 pm »
Hm ... from what I can tell, there's only one Vita exclusive I even remotely care about (Gravity Rush or w/e), and that everything on my list so far for the PS1/PS2 is on that list for the PS3... problem there becomes finding a PS3 with that support.  XBox ... is still kinda lame IMO but at least it seems to be covered well (there's just so few good exclusives on a console from a company that makes PCs anyways).

EDIT: So Amazon's prices are implying that it may be cheaper to get a PS2 and a recent PS3 instead of looking for a compatible PS3.  Thoughts?

It is cheaper to just get a PS2 and a recent PS3 to play them all. Although Amazon's prices are usually steep when it comes to electronics I'd recommend comparing them to ebay's prices.

Offline SpanielWare

• win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 10:53:20 am »
I agree- getting a regular PS2 and PS3 (get slim!) is probably cheaper than getting an old PS3 with backwards compatibility. I got my current PS2 slim on eBay (including 2 controllers, memory card, 6 games and cables) for just under £40, and there are some better deals out there too! As for the PS3, go for Amazon if you want new, or eBay if you just want to play the games.
StH JJ1 Sega++>+++ WkS+ AdS++ Arc++ Sal+++i!^"t Tal+++i^t Ant++ Coc++ Amy++!^"t Pen++!^" P+{++} Dfho{psw}[w] $+++{++++} E17~ Ay98 GM CoUK | Sega Technical Institute... engenders an unfortunate initialism.

Offline EngiNerd

• TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 10:55:55 pm »
Don't care about the bells'n'whistles, I just want to play me some gamez :P  Pity that the list is so long, it'll take me forever to do this, there's upwards of 300 games here...
My presssioussss....

Offline SpanielWare

• win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 02:22:58 pm »
Hehe, oh well, have fun playin' em!

Print

Hits: 222 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.03 MB | Time: 0.06s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.