don't click here

ITT Let's throw the rules of Pokémon Red/Blue out the window(Pokemon Randomizer)

Print

Author Topic: ITT Let's throw the rules of Pokémon Red/Blue out the window(Pokemon Randomizer)  (Read 37310 times)

Offline Taillow

• Changing forum names is lame...
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Quartz
  • win81 chrome
  • ...but it didn't stop me from doing it again.
    • View Profile
Was gonna put Pokémon R/B Randomizer, but that didn't fit.

So!  This is a thing.  It is a hilarious and wonderful thing that has let me start with a normal/flying kangaskhan, catch a level 3 normal articuno, and gave me the first TM of... wait for it... pound.

You should all give this a spin.

(By the way that articuno saved my butt a few times with bug catchers that have machamp and kingler <_<)
Hi

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
I am so going to try this one maximum random mode at some point in the near future.

I got to 80 on GW2 so my schedule is now free >_>
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
Oh my God this is the absolute greatest thing.

HERE IS MY CURRENT TEAM. (I just beat Brock, and for reference, I set everything to completely random and ticked every box.)

Starter

I also bagged somewhere in the region of 15 other pokemon so far, but I picked my favourite type combos and rolled with that, although movesets played a factor in the decision. Zubat learned Meditate from a level up, and the TM from Brock contained Sludge. No picks of the boxed Pokemon because the way VBA overwrites screenshots is super dounle retarded and half of my screenshots for them went away. The only one I remember was a Fire type Machoke that had Waterfall and Metronome, that I subbed out for that Dratini.

All in all 10/10 mod of the year

Offline Taillow

• Broseidon
  • win81 chrome
    • View Profile
I'm gonna have to try completely random levelup movesets next time.

My current party, four badges in and ready for Cycling Road massacres.  In order of capture, left to right each row.  You know, like the DS game party order. (Starter, Route 1, Route 9, Celadon Mansion eevee-spot, Route 7, Lavender Tower)

PS Jump Kick Zapdos is hilariously awesome, even more so that it gets STAB from it here.

Also RPG, consider using a color setting of some sort.  It helps with judging what is what type (Also you get stuff like yellow electric zubats).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 02:21:02 am by Taillow »
Hi

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
I cannot figure out for the life of me how to get it to display in colour, which is why I'm imprisoned in black and white and the magical land of working out Pokemon types by smacking them with abilities :P

Additionally once I finish my current run, I am all kinds of going to do a Nuzlocke run because I'm a sucker for pain C:

Offline Alondite

This...is awesome. Makes for some very interesting scenarios, and some great typing too.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
Well something broke because now the ROM runs at 4000% speed, and nothing can be done to make it slow down and remain playable, even in a fresh unzip of VBA. SOMETHING TERRIBLY WRONG HAS HAPPENED HERE.

Edit: Fixed it, then done goofed by accidentally saving over my save file with the title screen. TIME TO RERANDOMISE AND START OVER, THIS TIME IN COLOUR.

Edit2: AND SO WE BEGIN AGAIN, NOW WITH PERHAPS THE GREATEST STARTER OF ALL TIME. Also he levelled straight to 7 from the gary fight lol.

DICKS chose a light blue, at least partially Ice type, Tauros that knew Fire Punch, and there was no love for the pink slowpoke.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 09:42:53 am by Bilan »

Offline Alondite

Dragon/Ghost Koffing? Win.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
On paper it's delicious but I'm noticing some problems.

Best example I can give, I encountered a Seadra on route 1, and my only move was Earthquake. It didn't affect it so I knew it was at least part Flying. I came back and encountered another much later, after I'd caught 5-6 new Pogeys, and I hit it with Thundershock. Not very effective. I was like, what? There's no way that's even possible. It turned out it was Dragon/Flying, and for some reason wasn't using the secondary type to modify it's weakness/resistances outside of its Ground immunity. Not the only thing I've seen it happen on (I've caused super effective damage to a Ground/Grass type with Mega Drain), but I've also seen secondary types working completely as intended.

It's not really gamebreaking, but it's pretty annoying when you're trying to work out types.

Offline Taillow

• Broseidon
  • win81 chrome
    • View Profile
Yeah, that's a gen 1 bug.  It is annoying, yes.  But the damage still calculates out as normal (So dragon/flying takes neutral damage from electricity)

Anyhow, I just beat Sabrina!  It started out with a Zapdos mirror match, surprisingly.  But that's not important.  The TM she gave me was...

That cheap... certainly she could fork over something better than that!

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Hi

Offline Alondite

Lmao. "Power frisbees to inflict damage." That is awesome haha.

Offline Taillow

• Broseidon
  • win81 chrome
    • View Profile
And I finished!  My team post-E4:

Not many changes.  The E4 weren't too bad (surprisingly).  They had some pretty pitiful picks, especially my rival, who thought it was a good idea to pack both gender nidoran and a bellsprout.

But yeah that's it for me for now, maybe I'll do another run next year.
Hi

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
Genuinely did not know that gen1 displayed effectiveness messages weird. Guess it's been so long since I last played!

I got to Mount Moon and then I started again with arbitrary rules, because my Moltres, Fearow and something else evolved were flattening everything.

This time around I am not allowing myself to catch evolved Pokemon below the level they evolve (or at all if they are stone evos), and also not allowing myself to capture basic Pokemon with no evolutions until after Celadon!

Offline Cream147

I had to bump this to say that I tried this and my game ended in the most unbelievable way. I only had one Pokémon, my starter Abra, who was Ghost/Dragon, and had two moves, Comet Punch and Vicegrip, both normal. Got to Viridian Forest, tried and failed to catch a Mewtwo which would have saved my game from this broken mess...then I battled against a Bug Catcher with a Graveler...that used Transform to turn into Abra...and that was it. Our moves, being normal type, had no effect on each other (ghost type) and then once all the PP was used we got to Struggle, also normal type, also no effect, and as I hadn't saved up to that point so I had no choice but to end the game there.

The amount of misfortunes that had to occur for that situation to arise is astonishing, but I must admit I don't regret it for the amusement factor, and I only lost about 15 minutes of my life so I'll live.

Offline TimpZ

This isn't a randomizer. This is a "make every single pokemon know Rest, Fire spin, wrap and Acid armour. Oh and also all of your pokemon have 1 move and it has 5-10 pp and the only TM's you get are splash and Tail whip crap and they don't learn from level up until high levels"-simulator
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:07:01 am by TimpZ »

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
TimpZ_has_bad_luck.png

Offline CosmicFalcon

This looks amazing I'm so trying this out one day.
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
I love bumping topics, but the tool used to randomise R/B now works for ALL* Pokemon games

http://pokehacks.dabomstew.com/randomizer/

May be relevant to peoples interests, I just started up a game of RandomWhite and will prolly post some experience funtimes later.

Offline SpanielWare

• One can dream of a new Sega console, can't they?
  • TSC: danieldude
  • win10 chrome
  • "Better behave yourselves..."
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
^ This randomization program does look pretty exciting, and after reading through its various features and what it has to offer on the site homepage that you linked, I cannot deny that I am quite impressed with what I see. If I were to get into Pokémon games again, I'd definitely run some ROMs on VBA and DeSmuME after giving them a good dose of this randomizer. Props for the share RPGnutter! :D
StH JJ1 Sega++>+++ WkS+ AdS++ Arc++ Sal+++i!^"t Tal+++i^t Ant++ Coc++ Amy++!^"t Pen++!^" P+{++} Dfho{psw}[w] $+++{++++} E17~ Ay98 GM CoUK | Sega Technical Institute... engenders an unfortunate initialism.

<Starlight_Glimmer> i dont make the news I just report it

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
WHY WAS I DEAD ON TSC FOR SO LONG. Damn you school. I literally just now found this.

* Spinballwizard will now lose days of productivity
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
This is awesome.  I'm digging my Ekans as a starter...
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline DATBOI | War Anvil

I've actually been doing a random Fire Red Nuzlocke myself - with the Physical/Special split included.

I'm not saying how I got the split in there, though...
Hoo~!

Offline Xr0s-up

I've actually been doing a random Fire Red Nuzlocke myself - with the Physical/Special split included.

I'm not saying how I got the split in there, though...

:(
Playing Sonic for fun
Playing MMBN for victory

Print

Hits: 5,637 | Hits This Month: 9 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.25 MB | Time: 0.20s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.