The next game is Sonic 2 8-bit. Looking at SRL, it looks like they're treating the game exactly the same as Sonic 1 8-bit, as in separating the two versions. Not only do we have to decide on a goal, but we'll have to decide on what version to use. Not many people know this game, so I'll explain what the version differences are and then you guys can decide on what version to use.
Here are the differences:
1) The Game Gear version has a lower screen resolution.
2) The Underground boss is more difficult due to the Game Gear's lower resolution. You can't see the bouncing balls coming from as far away as you would on the Master System. Plus the speed and bounce height of the balls is randomized in the Game Gear version.
3) The rising water in Aqua Lake 2 is missing from the Mater System version. So in the Master System version you'll be slightly faster in the beginning and end of the act.
4) The boss layout in Green Hills 3 is different. In the Game Gear version you are on a steeper hill, however because of the screen resolution he will be slightly faster than the Master System version. But this boss is a huge troll, so imo the Master System version would be better as you have more time to react to what he is doing.
5) The beginning in Gimmick Mountain 1 is slightly different. In the Game Gear version you have a spring, pretty much sending you to the top almost straight away. In the Master System version you have to use an extra spinner wheel. So the Master System version will cost a couple of extra seconds.
6) If deciding on all emeralds, you can't see the tubes and the escape chute while fighting Robotnik in Crystal Egg 3.
So there you have it, you can decide on which system is the best/easiest for you. The goals are:
1) Beat the game: 4
2) Beat the game with all emeralds
1) Game Gear
2) Master System: 4
As of reply #4
The voting will close on Saturday 12pm EDT. For those of you using an emulator, I can provide the savestate for level select on both versions if you want it. Once the version has been chosen I will attach the savestate onto my post