don't click here

Full Game Score Runs

Print

Author Topic: Full Game Score Runs  (Read 10790 times)

Full Game Score Runs
« on: May 15, 2013, 08:49:30 pm »
Hi

I got some high score runs on the Genesis Sonic games.

Sonic 1: 1,071,060

Sonic & Knuckles: 2,120,820

Sonic 3D Blast: 1,447,600

I went by the Twin Galaxies rules.

The rules allowed 5 lives and no glitches.

Offline TimpZ

Re: Full Game Score Runs
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 07:42:01 am »
Define "glitch".

Either way you could always check out the score leaderboards if you want to compare, though they're only for single acts

example: http://www.soniccenter.org/rankings/sonic_&_knuckles/scores

Offline Combo

• THE CHAMP
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Here and there.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 10:21:15 pm »
Twin Galaxy looking like those "official" sites that have dumb rules with little knowledge of the games themselves.  I thought this place was legit?
PM me for Discord info!
https://www.twitch.tv/combo_blaze
Playing:
Super Smash Brothers 64 - Look out for Combo Blaze on Kaillera!
Civilization V, Oldschool Runescape, Ragnarok Online (iRO), Touhou games.

Offline Chackoman15379

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 05:00:53 pm »
i think it will be cool to have full game score attacks
i'd love to do SG

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 07:09:18 pm »
Define "glitch".

No zips, go through walls, etc.

Like if you first played the game.

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 07:10:18 pm »
Twin Galaxy looking like those "official" sites that have dumb rules with little knowledge of the games themselves.  I thought this place was legit?

It is
Twin Galaxies has set rules to play.
Ex No zips, go through walls, etc

Offline Combo

• THE CHAMP
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Here and there.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 07:15:51 pm »
It looks like they only really care about those classic arcade high score based games and don't bother with games like sonic.  5 lives?  lol
PM me for Discord info!
https://www.twitch.tv/combo_blaze
Playing:
Super Smash Brothers 64 - Look out for Combo Blaze on Kaillera!
Civilization V, Oldschool Runescape, Ragnarok Online (iRO), Touhou games.

Offline Chackoman15379

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 11:24:53 am »
i think it would be interesting to try the recent sonic games

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 12:59:18 pm »
Tom Votava was the verifier for Genesis for awhile (rdrunner), and he's also an SDA member.

They have different rules, and while I consider them bullshit, they're the "official" source.

Then again, I thought we cleared up the "glitching is cheating" bullshit back when MvSNK2 happened... but then Bungie tried to upset that and we have a boatload of casuals, so the scene's changed so much I don't know what to think.

I know what I play, though, fuck the rest.
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline TimpZ

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 01:15:59 pm »
Define "glitch".

Zipping isn't a glitch. It's an ejection routine intentionally programmed into the game. Going through walls isn't glitching either provided the wall isn't solid to begin with, or if it gets unloaded somehow.

I don't remember what happened the first time I played the game as I was about 3-4 years old, but I do know that there's been a lot of crazy shit that's happened to me even when I didn't try to do anything funny.

Then of course there are a lot of things that aren't glitches, but still shouldn't be included as it ruins the competition like this.

My point is that either you try and create a definition where you pinpoint every little thing YOU don't think should be in a run, which in turn means other's might oppose your definition of "glitchless" and consequently ruin any competition for the category you just created. Or you try and pinpoint just the stuff that matters, like the points-exploit in the last link, that everyone can agree would ruin competition and everyone is happier.

You're free to play the game any way you want, but there's no prestige without competition and I personally agree with the stance TSC has taken.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 01:51:37 pm »
Define "glitch".

Zipping isn't a glitch. It's an ejection routine intentionally programmed into the game. Going through walls isn't glitching either provided the wall isn't solid to begin with, or if it gets unloaded somehow.

I don't remember what happened the first time I played the game as I was about 3-4 years old, but I do know that there's been a lot of crazy shit that's happened to me even when I didn't try to do anything funny.

Then of course there are a lot of things that aren't glitches, but still shouldn't be included as it ruins the competition like this.

My point is that either you try and create a definition where you pinpoint every little thing YOU don't think should be in a run, which in turn means other's might oppose your definition of "glitchless" and consequently ruin any competition for the category you just created. Or you try and pinpoint just the stuff that matters, like the points-exploit in the last link, that everyone can agree would ruin competition and everyone is happier.

You're free to play the game any way you want, but there's no prestige without competition and I personally agree with the stance TSC has taken.

Er...  you do realize that we don't actually agree that the birds are a problem, right?

I don't think it ruins competition, it just changes what we're competing in.  Like, say, ring recs with ? boxes, it's just testing stamina and patience.  S2 tests SD/dexterity.  S1 is knowledge and very specific timings.

The rules that decide the rules are: non-arbitrary, non-timed maximums (which we define as skill-less) are excluded (see: Eggman standing on a light for infinite points is disallowed, as is the Gamma-Hot-Shelter thing), but MG1 rings is fine).  Anything that cannot be done on some original hardware is excluded (which is the "original game" stigma).

Aside from that, it's good to go.  Uncontrolled glitches (usually hardware glitches) are generally considered unfair because they aren't reproducible and lends unfair advantage, but I don't think that's ever come up here that I know of.  Codes are cheating explicitly, and are noted as WoG, and disallowed *within* competition (beginning to end of a give run), though can be used for utility (level select save-states, for example).

We seek mastery of the game as it exists as code and the challenges set forth within the software.  Everything within the game we can use to do that that's part of that challenge is viable (which excludes codes).  We're about low times, high scores, and every ring we can find.
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Print

Hits: 379 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.05 MB | Time: 0.20s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.