don't click here

The anime thread

Print

Author Topic: The anime thread  (Read 21712 times)

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
The anime thread
« on: October 09, 2014, 01:10:49 am »
Yep, after who knows how long I got bored, I'm back.....somehow.

ITT, we talk about various animes we've watched and recommendations.

Starting with me.

1. When They Cry (Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni). Viewed this one around March 2012. Absolutely loved it. If you're a fan of mystery and psychological horror, this is a must watch. Not to spoil anything, but I found the solution quite entertaining. Apparently Steam is releasing a remake of the original visual novels at the end of this year. Can't wait.

2. Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Watched in July 2012. To think that my first forey into the magical girl genre was the one that takes the genre apart. To put it lightly PMMM = Magical Girls + Watchmen. Gotta say, this is legitimately the first anime to make me cry. Just stay away from Rebellion. It's ending is horrible.

3. Paranoia Agent. Finished this one a few days ago. Total mind screw. Enjoyed the cultural critique that shows up post episode 8.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 01:29:42 am by magnum12 »
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
Re: The anime thread
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 01:38:17 am »
I could talk about anime, but I'd rather just say "holy fucking shit, it's magnum12".

*ahem*

Holy fucking shit, it's magnum12.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 05:47:22 pm »
Do stay away from the anime adaptation of Umineko No Naku Koro Ni. It is considered amongst the worst animes of 2009 and for good reason. That and as an adaptation its even worse. An insult to its source material.

Offline SuperSonicfan9595

• Last Future of Embryo
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • At the high speed of the Third Cosmic Velocity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 07:37:14 pm »
Do stay away from the anime adaptation of Umineko No Naku Koro Ni. It is considered amongst the worst animes of 2009 and for good reason. That and as an adaptation its even worse. An insult to its source material.

This is wrong. The correct way to put this is "STAY AWAY FROM VN ADAPTATION IN GENERAL"
"Standing up even trembling in fear, that is Courage."

Azi Dahaka

My Youtube Channel, for everything I play: https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperSonicfan9595

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 11:43:33 pm »

This is wrong. The correct way to put this is "STAY AWAY FROM VN ADAPTATION IN GENERAL"

I thought Clannad was pretty good.  My favorite anime, actually.

• Last Future of Embryo
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 08:39:19 am »

Some are exceptions. But VN adaptations are bad because they don't feel the same. Compare the Da Capo II anime to the Da Capo II VN. The VN is 10000 times better.

Azi Dahaka

My Youtube Channel, for everything I play: https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperSonicfan9595

Offline Groudon

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 08:59:40 am »

Some are exceptions. But VN adaptations are bad because they don't feel the same. Compare the Da Capo II anime to the Da Capo II VN. The VN is 10000 times better.

Only because you can't influence the story direction.

Although I agree that playing the VNs would be better, a lot of them are never released outside of Japan.  I've seen 4 adaptations, and only one VN has been officially translated (which, despite never having played, I'd definitely prefer over the anime simply because of the ending chosen).

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 09:21:42 pm »
Quote pyramid is starting to form, so I might as well crack the joke.

CCCCCCCCCCombo Breaker.

Anyways, yes Higurashi is a bad adaptation of the VN, but barring issues with the visuals (DEEEENNNNN!!!!), its actually a terrific anime on its own merits.

Note: I saw the anime version first, then read the manga.

Oh yeah, Outbreak came out last year and just a few months ago got a sequel (in VN form) a few weeks back.

Offline DGF

• WildCard Speedster
  • TSC: DarkGravityFlames
  • win10 chrome
  • Code S.O.L, Azure Grimrore ACTIVATE!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 12:58:46 am »
I know I'm going off a little off Topic From the VN Subject, But do any of you guys Watch/Read Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I got into it about 2 years ago and had been loving it since. if any of you guys have, what is your favorite part? My personal favorite part is part 4
My Youtube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9TztQrHz0nwzfSZZFoYOVA
PSN = ChaosKnight_56
Steam: TerumiTrueAzure

Championship(s) Held: Sonic Generations
Current Records: Overdrift Challenge , Terror from the Deep, Death egg robot (Hard), Vector's Mission

Offline PvtCinnamonbun

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 02:51:17 am »
DGF, JoJo is fucking sick. I'm caught up with the manga and am waiting for Stardust Crusaders Part II to air so I can marathon the whole of it at once. Do you have a favorite part?

Anyways, for anime in general I've been taking a break to speedrun and play more videogames. I remember really liking Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Kaiji, Monster, School Rumble, Thermae Romae, sCRYed, and Full Metal Panic

Offline Groudon

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 01:57:46 am »
Might as well post what I've watched since Clannad 3 years ago.

Fruits Basket, Kanon, Air, Haruhi Suzumiya (both "seasons" and the spin-offs), Chobits, Now and Then Here and There, Highschool of the Dead, Death Note, Angel Beats, Lucky Star, School Rumble, Code Geass (both seasons), K-On! (season 1), School Days, Soul Eater, Blue Exorcist

I have 19 on my watch list, but I've kinda lost interest in anime lately.

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 05:52:44 pm »
Lucky Star, the anime in which you have to get the source material (anime and gaming culture) to get the most out of its comedy. Like Azumanga Daioh on crack, which is saying a lot since Azumanga Daioh is like Peanuts on acid.

Speaking of which, Azumanga Daioh is one of my favorite comedies, alongside Cromartie High School.

• Last Future of Embryo
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 07:14:18 pm »
If we are talking about comedy, I'll stay with Seitokai Yakuindomo and Haiyore Nyaruko-san!
I laughed so hard with those 2

Azi Dahaka

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 10:09:52 pm »
Just recently started seeing some clips of Fate/Zero. Dang, Ufotable does good stuff. Also, the dub so far is pretty good. Crispin Freeman's rendition of Kiritsugu while noticeably different from the Japanese one still catches Kiritsugu's characterization faithfully.

Speaking of Ufotable, they seem to be the go-to guys if you want an adaptation of a VN done right based on Fate/Zero and the 2014 version of FSN (compare with the DEEN version, which is the studio that did higurashi and umineko). Seems there's also been some chatter amongst the fans about wanting a remake of Higurashi, with Ufotable being mentioned multiple times.

Print

Hits: 1,214 | Hits This Month: 6 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.08 MB | Time: 0.08s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.