don't click here

Topic 1 - Your opinion of TSC

Print

Author Topic: Topic 1 - Your opinion of TSC  (Read 14877 times)

Offline hfactor66

Topic 1 - Your opinion of TSC
« on: December 18, 2014, 11:18:15 am »
I'm bored & I think I'm around on TSC too much nowadays, I know I joined less than half a year ago but since then it feels like I spend more time on here than I should. XD
I just wanna know what you think of TSC!

From my experience on TSC I've learned a lot about what's possible and what's not in many Sonic games, old and new. I've read over lots of old callouts in leaderboard disputes, they seem to interest me for some reason. From the videos alone I've learned a lot of hidden secrets in many old Sonic games, even using them to set new records, like the Azure Lake S3 strat w/Tails, NEVER would have gotten fastest lap & 2nd fastest 5-lap without Romulo's video. I'm currently trying to figure out the secret behind Romulo's 10.87 on Desert Palace but I can't find anything... idk what he & SB did to get their times...

I've also managed to get a couple of good times just by getting lucky, prime examples are my Water Palace & Altitude Limit boss runs on Rush. Sonic on WP boss 2:00.42 I got on my first try, and surprisingly 6 seconds faster than my best with Blaze, and I play her a helluvalot more. My 1:31.64 on AL boss w/Blaze was a lucky run on my way to school (it seems like a lot of my Rush records happen on my way to school XD) because the attack pattern I got is so damn elusive! A month went into getting that time on AL boss w/Blaze BTW. I'm trying to do the same w/Sonic but I keep getting the wrong attack patterns from eggface, sometimes with only 1 hit to go, AGH so frustrating!

Overall TSC is a good resource for any competitive Sonic player, its resources & community are very helpful in discovering secrets to many Sonic games. What do you think?

Come back every day for new Wikkity forum topics! I'm planning to post new Wikkity forum topics every day till the new year! P.S. I don't see much activity on here anymore so I figured this is a good way to get some activity going! :)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 05:41:10 pm by AmyRoseFan »
Rings are my specialty.

Offline Starlight_Glimmer

Re: Your opinion of TSC
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 11:33:07 am »
For the sonic rush bosses. I know sonicandamy irl. He said the best tip for all the bosses is to constantly spin; keeping pressing left and right on the control pad inbetween hits where is looks like the character is spinning. he said while its still pretty random, spinning improves the chances of the boss doing something goofy.
We Shine Like Rainbows~ 

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 01:15:59 pm »
TSC has thought me that there are endless possibilities in finding strats and glitches. From this TSC i can learn so many things that I thought were impossible in the past.
When I got a new level, I immediately speed run through it. That's why I always fail. ^_^

My YouTube Account:
http://youtube.com/user/FSSRandomVids2

Championships Held:
Sonic Drift and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

Zero-point Championships held:
Sonic Drift and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

Offline Softspeak

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 01:39:09 pm »
I'll share some of my personal experiences too, then talk a little bit about what I think of TSC in general. I've only been a member at TSC for a month and a half, and I've had issues with spending too much time on the site too.

About 11 days after joining, I realized I was getting too wrapped up in where I was going to be on the charts someday. I knew my SAdva3 times would be (mostly) red; I felt that the ring records could be beaten with some planning and persistence (which I know I have based on my past gaming experiences). I was getting obsessed with what players I was going to pass at what points in my playing, both on the game charts and in the sitewide rankings. What about eventually submitting stats for SA2(B) and Riders? What about maybe getting more Sonic games to try to climb higher? But I was getting a swelled head, and I was spending far too little time on homework and studying and things that mattered more. I spent 12 days away from the site and from my GBA SP.

Then came Thanksgiving break. There was some homework that would be due the next week, but I figured it wasn't a big deal. I spent plenty of time in those five days working on some SAdva3 stats. The biggest achievement was me beating a four-way tie by one ring. But I was getting too self-centered again, too obsessed with what other records I might beat in the future. When classes resumed, I took another hiatus of about 12 days.

Then I came back for a couple days, but pulled out again, partly because I had final exams to study for, and partly because I still cared too much about my standings. Now most of my finals are over, so I'm cautiously coming back. But to keep my pride in check, I'll be submitting stats at least three at a time, and other than when I'm submitting those and/or reading new posts on the forum, I'm not letting myself peruse the charts again just for personal pleasure.

Well, enough about me. Now for my thoughts about TSC:

I like the site. I like the system it's built on. Ties for stats aren't broken by seniority or by newness; especially on the ties for first, this shows respect to the legends without stopping newcomers like me from joining the fun. Charts for ring records add variety to the skills needed to excel. The formula for translating game points to sitewide points is cubic; provides good incentive to get to the top of the charts, but it's not so steep that you have to be red in games to get anywhere at all. And where would we be without a forum?

But I get the impression the community isn't nearly as active or deep or involved as it used to be. I wonder how much of the change is from members seeing less and less free time as, well, life happens and other things take priority. I also wonder if the whole idea of the competition has been getting stale for many people -- they feel they've maxed out, or they really have maxed out, or they've just lost interest in striving for temporary TSC glory.

So how do I justify my continued competition here, besides the fact that it's still new to me and I'm a college student with too much time on my hands? Maybe it's not about the competition. Don't get me wrong, the competition is a vital part of the site. But there's something to be said about the experience we share of good and bad Sonic games, of good and bad playing sessions, and objective measurement will never quite capture that. We strive for the best of these experiences. And I want to share in that.

Well, enough about my thoughts. I'm just one player.

Offline hfactor66

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 06:24:39 pm »
keeping pressing left and right on the control pad inbetween hits where is looks like the character is spinning. he said while its still pretty random, spinning improves the chances of the boss doing something goofy.
Interesting, I've done that before, but I didn't think it was doing anything, I was just doing it for fun cuz I had my music on XD
Rings are my specialty.

Offline TimpZ

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 09:56:39 pm »
I disagree with people filling in stats for the sake of filling in stats. I also think there's some basic things you could do to improve the accuracy of the stats but it's not in popular opinion to change. Oh and there's a few full game categories I think could get added which would be cool.

Other than that I like a lot about most of the site and I've met more than a few people I'd consider real friends so I'm happy it exists.

Offline hfactor66

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 10:24:45 am »
I wonder how many things would have been different had I never been around in the first place...
I sometimes wonder about that too... I don't even remember how I found this site in the first place, I just found it & voila, here I am...
Rings are my specialty.

Offline Gpro

• TSC: Gamepro011
  • win10 firefox
  • It's okay; don't worry about it
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 02:11:48 pm »
From the time I joined up to now, I've definitely liked TSC for what it's worth. It's a place where MOST of the IL WRs are held, since the majority of the community running Sonic games competitively has been here, along with countless other submissions. It's had a positive influence on me for sure, teaching me what it's like to lose something you've worked very hard for to someone. Not to mention that sometimes hard work definitely does pay off. Hyper said it's brought life lessons, and that's definitely something true for me. Met quite a few good people from it as well (and some bads… Every community has them). So, overall, I really like TSC for the experiences I've had, but I've moved away from the site in favor of single segment and gaining more experiences from other places, so to speak. It's a shame that many others have done the same thing, whether it's for new games to compete in or just boredom from competition or other reasons.

Dunno what else to say, so… I guess that's pretty much it?

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 03:59:14 pm »
Well I joined up with the intention of TSC being just something to do for a couple weeks. I planned to compete in just one leadership and be done. Ultimately, that didn’t happen and fully filled out the game- before further improved it at regular intervals. I even competed in a 2nd game. This has been a long “two week quick stop-by” and that’s probably enough to indicate how much I’ve enjoy competing at TSC. Further still, I love checking out new stats, reading posts etc and most importantly the people I’ve been able to interact with, that’s formed up as a result of joining TSC, even actually meeting a member IRL XD

Offline SqwareEcks

• Always a day late and a buck short
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 12:17:33 am »
I found TSC in the process of preparing to attempt a single-segment run of SA2 for SDA. I basically used it as an information resource to help me learn from its videos and guides since I'd never attempted a speedrun before, but never gave much thought to actually joining the site and competing here. After my single-segment run got obsoleted right after I submitted it, yoshifan suggested to me that I come over to TSC and I'm glad I did. I was worried it'd be a site full of super-intense tryhards I couldn't possibly fit in at but I was pleasantly surprised to find out it has a bunch of really nice people. Being here has definitely inspired me to work at getting good at some games I otherwise might have just played casually once and been done with, even though I don't have quite as much free time to spend on them as I'd like to. Plus, there's always the entertainment of seeing a new record video appear with some crazy strategy or glitch that breaks a level.
My life needs a rewind/erase button.
-Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Sonic 2 Racer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Re: Topic 1 - Your opinion of TSC
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 09:47:14 am »
I've been with TSC since 2006, and what got me so attached wasn't necessarily the competition, but rather the true friends that resided here. I found out just how true they were, one late night when I was 19.

My mother was out of town on business. I was up late, hanging out on the chat channel and playing Sonic 3. mike89 and I were discussing some things about it before my side of the input went cold. There was an unexpected visitor knocking loudly. He barely hid himself from the view of the front door panel. By the time I dialed 911, he had already attempted to charge the door and smashed three windows in quick succession.

Cops arrived shortly after, explaining it wasn't an isolated incident, and that the attacker had murdered seven others who unwittingly let him inside. While they searched my house for potential evidence, I sat my dizzy self back down in front of the computer, explaining my situation in chat. It may have been just conversation, but the solace they gave meant everything to me during my hour of need.

I learned two things from that eventful night: Inch-thick wooden doors are amazing, and so are the friendships you can forge at TSC.

Offline Pokemonmaster888

Re: Topic 1 - Your opinion of TSC
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 12:28:38 am »
I think The Sonic Center is an awesome website; certainly the best site I have found for the highest level Sonic the Hedgehog video game franchise competition. TSC has a ton of competitive resources in the form of videos, guides, and the community, so newcomers can start out and learn quickly how to become better at the games they want to play. I have met some great people, and made a lot of friends through the years here. I think I discovered TSC back when I was searching for Sonic Rush fastest times in December 2005-January 2006, but I did not join the site until May 2007. I wish I hadn't waited that long, as joining much earlier would've been a great asset to me for improving my competitive skills. The forum is a great archive of past discussions, and I enjoy reading through them (although I haven't read through a lot of the older topics; I plan to some day when I have a bunch of free time). I definitely share a lot of the opinions of other members in this topic, and I'm glad many people have found TSC to be a great place to compete, learn and have fun.

TSC is an overall incredible place to compete, and I have had so much fun doing so over the years. I am glad to be a member here, and I definitely would recommend this site to other people so that they can come and hone their own skills. I am excited to see what TSC has in store for the future, and to keep competing here as well.

Print

Hits: 472 | Hits This Month: 4 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.13 MB | Time: 0.15s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.