don't click here

ITT Anti-emulator propaganda

Print

Author Topic: ITT Anti-emulator propaganda  (Read 19974 times)

Offline Starlight_Glimmer

ITT Anti-emulator propaganda
« on: April 29, 2015, 11:24:07 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1lKyFgvTP0

I dont really give a crap about self promotion, (if you're sub'd please unsub)  and YT doesn't pay me. I only want you to watch the first 41 seconds (the speed run equiped is half assed, and just to make it TSC compliant) this is completely for propaganda reasons.

This isn't a topic to start a fight about emulators, but rather to keep the attack against emulators going strong, if you want to support them, do it in another thread.

Emulators are horrible and promote inequality in our stats.

No one is superior on console.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 11:30:23 pm by Flim_flam_bsdetector »
We Shine Like Rainbows~ 

Offline FocusSight64

• Language Geek
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 firefox
  • Your Friendly Neighbourhood Weeaboo
    • View Profile
Re: ITT Anti-emulator propaganda
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 02:53:50 am »
Not true. Certain consoles have advantages, along with regions. Being from CS, of course I'd say "oust emulators altogether", but that'd be the unpopular opinion here. The issues with emulators not emulating accurately will always be present.
Proud supporter of Cookie☆ (クッキー☆) MADs.

Offline TimpZ

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 09:37:19 am »
Emulators are the spawn of the devil and his temptations. Resist the urge and join the divine brotherhood of Consolism.

Offline Etch

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 06:32:59 pm »
My sega genesis still works, lol.

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 01:30:53 am »
I've been studying the most effective ways to spread a message, its appears the crowd we need to cater to (based on polls, and random surveys)  needs memes.

so I constructed few:

also feel free to make your own stuff, and post it. I truly think it's silly emulators are even discussed let alone a valid source of completion (without checks and balances!)

Im truly serious... if emulators aren't ended or at least changed in a some what reasonable time, Im working on something that should be the final nail in the emulator coffin.
We Shine Like Rainbows~ 

Offline hfactor66

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 06:45:22 am »
So let me get this straight, what you're basically saying is, if you play on an emulator, you can't compete, and if you want to, go out & buy the consoles & games yourself. Uh, sorry but hey, news flash buddy, not all of us have the time or the money to go out & track down all these different games & consoles just to compete on this site. I don't think any of us want to either, I mean is it honestly worth it to invest hundreds of dollars on consoles & games and not get a return on your investment? All you get in return is the ability to compete.

Sorry buddy, but if that's what TSC comes to on this, then I'm leaving, cuz there's no way in hell I'm gonna drag my ass out the door to track down cartridges of the original Genesis Sonic games & a SEGA Genesis. It's not worth the time or the money to get all that just to compete on something that won't matter in the long run. I'm pretty sure I don't stand alone when I say this.
Rings are my specialty.

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 10:25:18 am »
If the emulator's actually accurate then I guess it's fine, though I wouldn't be against an all-out ban on emulators because it's so easy to cheat on it (you can pretty easily just pre-record an input file, then run it back on stream or something). This is becoming a bigger problem nowadays because of how much bigger speedrunning as a whole has gotten (and thus, people cheating).

Most hobbies cost time and money. If you can't get the money to actually get the games on console (which usually isn't that expensive), then that's life. If you want to leave because you don't want to bother playing on an intended console, then by all means do so. It's an unfortunate thing but cheating (especially on emulator) is only going to get more and more common; if you have any suggestions on how to 100% get rid of emulator cheating/inaccuracies, then by all means suggest them. But if you don't, then I don't think you're in any place to complain about that. Speedrunning (not just TSC) has been banning more and more emulators because of both inaccuracies and how easy it is to cheat (N64/GC/Wii is inaccurate, Dreamcast has lolissues, GBA emu's run faster, pokemon runs ban emulator for top times, etc etc). It's only natural that TSC starts to stray away from emulator use as well. If you want to avoid an eventual ban on emulators, then I'm all ears on any other solutions.
Youtube - youtube.com/user/kirbymastah1991
Twitch Stream - twitch.tv/kirbymastah

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 12:36:29 am »

Sorry buddy, but if that's what TSC comes to on this, then I'm leaving, cuz there's no way in hell I'm gonna drag my ass out the door to track down cartridges of the original Genesis Sonic games & a SEGA Genesis.

As TSC's #2 amy rose fan, you should know, amy rose, nor any of us would do the same. the solution: it is completely legit to buy sonic gen collection games for the gc or sega mega championship collection (w/e its called) for the xbox/ps3 and compete on them. for what, under $10? If you cant afford that start a go fund me, and I bet tsc members alone would raise 10 bucks for you to get it.

I do need to make an actual steady stance on emulators, though my true goal is for them to be eliminated, I don't support it at all atm, I support requiring proof for emulator user, I say this because I believe the complete ban will come in due time as console users watch emulated WR runs and try to duplicate them.

a blanket ban would create a lot of salt, but if you have a lot of console users first "discovering" what competition is like against emulator users you can create a ground swell of hate against emulators.... just like.. every .. other.. completion. site.

~equality in consoles
We Shine Like Rainbows~ 

Offline TimpZ

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 11:22:00 pm »

« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 11:27:42 pm by TimpZ »

Offline hfactor66

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 06:35:34 am »

It's more that I just don't feel like putting up the money for it when I can get & play it for free.
Rings are my specialty.

Offline TimpZ

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 09:09:36 am »
Yea sure you only want to follow the laws you like while ignoring those you don't care about like stealing intellectual property because you don't feel like paying. That sounds like a reasonable position..... >_>

Offline Diamond

• Diamond in the sky
  • TSC Profile
  • iphone safari
  • "I never want to hear you say goodbye"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2015, 09:57:24 pm »
The only games that I play on emulator are games that I already own on console, and I only play Sonic Pocket Adventure on emulator because it's impossible to stream the game directly from console (damn neo geo pocket color)
I never use emulators for competition, so I really don't care about them
Retired from Colors DS.
nah jk I can't quit

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 12:30:58 am »
The only games that I play on emulator are games that I already own on console, and I only play Sonic Pocket Adventure on emulator because it's impossible to stream the game directly from console (damn neo geo pocket color)
I never use emulators for competition, so I really don't care about them

I mentioned before Im totally up for debate on banning all emulators and then extremely, very, super, duper, slowly, allowing some in. the game I had in mind as a first candidate is SPA. It has pretty small competition, I would like to hear thoughts of people who actually own the game, and more conveniently have those same people study, and OK that game for emulator competition.

games that don't track point tens and hundreds of seconds on, im open for debate. Competitors may be able to cover the margin of the emulators error. but I believe the ppl that actually have that game should have the final say.

anyways thats very good diamond, and you shouldnt ever emulate. (unless its just for fun ^^) I need to clarify this isn't a salt issue, my computer is capable of running an emulated ps4 sonic game at what tsc calls "full speed" ( and this is where therein the problem lies) if it existed, I can emulate anything if I so choose.

but I wont, because it is a mild(socially acceptable) form of cheating. and I plan to prove it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 12:40:13 am by Flim_flam_bsdetector »
We Shine Like Rainbows~ 

Offline TimpZ

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 07:53:33 am »
I need to clarify this isn't a salt issue, my computer is capable of running an emulated ps4 sonic game at what tsc calls "full speed" ( and this is where therein the problem lies) if it existed, I can emulate anything if I so choose.

No you couldn't. A moderate to high end desktop computer today would struggle to accurately emulate a console from the early 90's. When it was released, the Genesis emulator Exodus required a prototype processor not on the market in order to run at full speed. Why were there Genesis emulators even in the age when DOS were popular then you might ask? The answer is programming tricks and cheats that result in inaccurate emulation that can be sufficient for casual play but not for competition.

EDIT: Quote from the first link: "To run Pong at about 5-10fps, DICE requires a 3GHz processor. Yes, you read that right: no computer processor at this time that can run Pong at the circuit level at full speed".
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 08:08:16 am by TimpZ »

Print

Hits: 738 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.10 MB | Time: 0.09s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.