don't click here

Sonic 1 Miscellany

Print

Author Topic: Sonic 1 Miscellany  (Read 10178 times)

Offline ybbun

Sonic 1 Miscellany
« on: February 14, 2004, 12:27:32 pm »
Here's a collection of my random ramblings about Sonic 1.

I downloaded the green hill 1 video of 0.25 but when I try to view it I just see "State Slot 0 Loaded" and the zone title on top of a black screen - anyone know why?

I wonder how xebra thinks he can get 1.12 on final zone.

SadisticMystic I am at a loss how to get 0.55 on Marble Zone 1 hehe, I think there must be a way of getting onto that platform with the spikes but I don't know how!

I like the way that the shared records are now [2 players] instead of the first person to get them, because I arrived here after most other people!

I'm still awaiting that promised video from Spu for Scrap Brain 1, dammit I just can't do that level.

Do people here use emulators? The videos of times are quite a bit quicker speed than on my genesis, which I have noticed when using an emulator and a sonic rom too. The slower speed helps a lot - I certainly find it more challenging using the emulator - so maybe more can be said for someone else getting the same time than it can for me.

Does anyone know how to guarantee not falling off that slide at the beginning of star light 3? It seems completely random, unless I'm missing something.

People are nice in providing videos, I can't provide any of my own so really I'm taking and not giving all the time. Why do people do it if they know others can copy their strategy and beat them? This could give me an unfair advantage if those GH1 and SB1 videos worked...

Where has the videos link gone from all the games on the navigation bar on the left? And why, if all the videos still exist?

Do my Spring Yard 1 time (running over the top of the screen) and Star Light 2 time (Falling through the scenery) count? (I managed the same time a different way on SL2 as well)

How many people agree that this is the best sonic to use for breaking times considering the ease of use of the level select and the lack of emphasis on exploration?

Ah, I'm done, thanks for your time  :)

Offline Cybrax

Sonic 1 Miscellany
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 01:49:29 pm »
yea I was thinking about most of those.  I was searching for vids a while ago on most of the old sonic games here and had to go through times.

Offline SadisticMystic

Sonic 1 Miscellany
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 02:01:18 pm »
Maybe the 0:25 video was incompletely loaded.  Try deleting all instances of the file from your History and Temporary Internat Files, and get it again.

To get 0:55, there's a nifty way around that problem.  You can't land on top of the first spiked weight on the first try, but it still plays a role.  Just as the bottom edge of the weight (the top of the spikes) passes the same height as the right-side ledge, jump up and intentionally run into the rightmost spike.  If it's high enough, you'll be knocked up and to the right...and land on that ledge without having to wait for the spiked weight to drop.

Offline Rolken

Sonic 1 Miscellany
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 03:21:42 pm »
I downloaded the green hill 1 video of 0.25 but when I try to view it I just see "State Slot 0 Loaded" and the zone title on top of a black screen - anyone know why?

Try using the divx player.

Where has the videos link gone from all the games on the navigation bar on the left? And why, if all the videos still exist?

fixed

Rolken won't post my videos, by the way, he says they are too large. You have to ask me for them on AIM.

15meg/minute is still far too big. I have space limits (and most people have bandwidth limits).
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
Sonic 1 Miscellany
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2004, 04:06:47 pm »
How many people agree that this is the best sonic to use for breaking times considering the ease of use of the level select and the lack of emphasis on exploration?
Sonic the hedgehog 1 is good for time attack, but it's really to easy in my opinion. The chaos emeralds aren't the hardest to retrieve in this game, and the emeralds were most always my incentive to reapetedly play the sonic games. With that said, it's still a great game.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2004, 04:07:37 pm by blueblaze »

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline ybbun

Sonic 1 Miscellany
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2004, 08:58:46 am »
Thanks SadisticMystic, your helpful comment I found about using the same technique for all marble zone levels has enabled me to improve zones 1 and 3 to 0.55 and 1.26 respectively. However, you should know that there is invincibility in marble 2 that can be got by jumping THROUGH the lava (must be a glitch). You can go quickly enough right to the spiked platform to get on top of it. I still haven't totally investigated your method but I reckon mine is slightly faster.

Thanks for the help about the video, I used DivX but now all I see is a flashing picture!

I know that 1.12 can't be done because I have done the final hit really quickly and it gives 1.13.

brain0918 it appears you are spending a lot of time doing 1 level at a time and getting really good scores! I think that's the way to go to do well.

blueblaze, I agree with your point, that's why my original quote states about it being the best sonic for times, not just the best sonic. However I do agree that the competition mode in sonic 3 is better, although I'd put this one 2nd.

Lastly, something that might be useful: How do I do quotes of multiple posts?!! lol

Offline SadisticMystic

Sonic 1 Miscellany
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2004, 09:10:46 am »
I actually don't use the invincibility in Marble 2, since you can get over the pit without it (moving block -> floating block 1 -> floating block 3) and by getting it, you'll be unable to pull the spike-jumping trick since you're immune to spikes at that time.

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
Sonic 1 Miscellany
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2004, 11:25:52 am »
Lastly, something that might be useful: How do I do quotes of multiple posts?!! lol
k, to quote different posts, all you need to do is press the quote button,  type the post u want to quote, then press quote again.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Rolken

Sonic 1 Miscellany
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2004, 11:43:50 am »
That doesn't show who you're quoting though.

Hmm...

hello

edit: okay. [ quote = "nobody" ] hello [ /quote ] makes it turn out like that (minus the extra spacing)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2004, 11:44:49 am by Rolken »
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline SadisticMystic

Sonic 1 Miscellany
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2004, 11:45:42 am »
Code: [Select]
[QUOTE=<name_of_speaker>]
No need for quotation marks around <name_of_speaker>
[/QUOTE]

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
Sonic 1 Miscellany
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2004, 12:41:47 pm »
guess that answers you're question about quoting multiple posts  ;)

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline ybbun

Sonic 1 Miscellany
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2004, 06:24:08 am »
Would brian be so kind as to return my green hill 1 favour and tell me how he did scrap brain 1?  :D Thanks  :D

Offline ybbun

Sonic 1 Miscellany
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2004, 09:58:42 am »
I got 0.44 on SB1 (woohoo!) and was about 0.01 seconds away from 0.43. My problem was not reaching the square platform in time for it to appear at around 15 seconds. I just need to fall forwards through that fire as you said to get 0.43. I've done it once before, but I don't know how I did it. Thanks for the help.
SB2 - I used the top route. It's hard to get up there to start with let alone all the things that have to be done to keep it a good time so I bet 0.51 can be improved. The bit you talk about is not faster - you need to go along the bottom route, collecting all 50 rings. When you get to 47 you exit a pipe, collect 3 more and go back into it. This will move you up to a secret place. You need 50 rings to get to it. The time taken in collecting these rings extends the time beyond what is saveable by the fact that it is v. quick from then on.
And now my questions to you are: how can you guarantee keeping up your speed after the final springer in star light 1, and which way do you go in star light 2?

Offline ybbun

Sonic 1 Miscellany
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2004, 10:01:05 am »
Well isn't that grand, you posted at the same time as me. I didn't see yours before posting mine. I don't think the fire can be missed.

Offline ybbun

Sonic 1 Miscellany
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2004, 04:05:28 pm »
I've just made a 0.43. Here's how:
You land on the platform after the rotating little ledges at precisely 25 seconds. You move right, spinning through the caterpillar (not jumping over it). When you roll down the tube you need to stick to the left hand side of it (it seems random, about 1/3 of the time you fall off) to go fast enough.
Jump in preparation for the button before you go through the little door, to save a little time. Then go up on the red bits. Jump across the first rotating ledge bit and for the 2nd one, jump towards the fire, face left in the air and let go of any buttons. You should fall to the right of the fire, not the left (it's worked every time I've tried it anyway). Then run to the end and you will just make 0.43 if you get lucky. :D

I'll take a look at that movie now. What night were you talking about?

Offline ybbun

Sonic 1 Miscellany
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2004, 02:10:05 pm »
just before 0.25 - platform appears
almost exactly 0.31 - land on button
just after 0.35 - hit flame
even then it's still not possible. Try different jumping techniques for after that. At the end, jump over both the flames and enemies in one go.

By the way, I just got down to 0.21 on SB3, hooray...

Offline ybbun

Sonic 1 Miscellany
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2004, 02:55:19 am »
And now you have 0.40! Aaargh!

Offline ybbun

Sonic 1 Miscellany
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2004, 04:01:10 pm »
Hmm. Just out of interest, how did you get that 0.40?

Offline ybbun

Sonic 1 Miscellany
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2004, 07:05:18 am »
But wait! 24 seconds on Spring Yard 1!

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
 :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Offline ybbun

Sonic 1 Miscellany
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2004, 07:29:35 am »
And now 0.28 on SL2. I still haven't managed 0.29. Isn't that weird, you spend ages trying to get a time, then you miss it completely and get something better.

:D

Offline ybbun

Sonic 1 Miscellany
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2004, 01:38:54 pm »
So are you gonna tell me how this 0.40 on SB1 works? Cos I'd sure like to know...

Sonic 1 Miscellany
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2004, 05:43:26 am »
40 secs in Mystic Cave 1! I win!

<_<

Print

Hits: 107 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.10 MB | Time: 0.17s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.