don't click here

youtube Megaman X8 review

Print

Author Topic: youtube Megaman X8 review  (Read 4942 times)

Offline eggFL

youtube Megaman X8 review
« on: November 22, 2007, 12:39:23 pm »
I thought this was really funny. (not to mention really well put together) Let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogu5uaqlh7o

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
Re: youtube Megaman X8 review
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 03:47:17 pm »
X8 isn't that hard. (This coming from someone who pwns Omega's final form blind folded with no subtanks and only the Z-Saber.) It's certainly better than the POS's known as X6 and X7. The chief problem with the game as I see it is cheap level design. I got around that by moving slowly the first few times and by playing as Axl to get a feel for the levels. The Gameroomblitz review for Odin Sphere was not very good. Spent too much time on background story and praising graphics. The review only reviewed 1/6 of the game, which is a shame since the Zero like combat of Cornelius, Mega Man meets Contra style of Mercedes, and the strategic combat of Oswald (you'd better be skillful with the use of his transformation or you're screwed) are much more fun than the first episode. It's also worth mentioning that there's no serious discussion of the alchemy system since good use of it (and equipment) is vital for success. Not to mention being able to judge the distance between your weapon's strikes and your enemies is a very important skill to master (not shown in footage).
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 05:42:02 pm »
The chief problem with Megaman X8 imo is that it doesn't look good. I don't agree with all of the review (for instance, I think X series was the best when it came out, and I thought X8's story was neat as far as X plots go) but other than that the reviewer was in the right place. In any case I laughed so hard. "this segment remnds me of an Atari 2600 homebrow called MAN GOES DOWN. You can guess which one is more fun to play!"

Also, who cares about alchemy systems? Seriously. Like, is it fun? And isn't it just pointless trial and error, or reading of off an FAQ?

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 05:58:29 pm »
The chief problem with Megaman X8 imo is that it doesn't look good. I don't agree with all of the review (for instance, I think X series was the best when it came out, and I thought X8's story was neat as far as X plots go) but other than that the reviewer was in the right place. In any case I laughed so hard. "this segment remnds me of an Atari 2600 homebrow called MAN GOES DOWN. You can guess which one is more fun to play!"

Also, who cares about alchemy systems? Seriously. Like, is it fun? And isn't it just pointless trial and error, or reading of off an FAQ?
The alchemy system is actually quite deep. The manual and mini tutorial in chapter 2 of episode 1 gives you the basics of how it works. There is no trial and error involved in order to create stuff (unless you mess up in terms of the rules) since as you go through the full story (the 5 episodes), you unlock the recipies for creating various potions. Once you unlock a recipie, you can use it in earlier episodes during second playthroughs (a good idea when preparing for the final episode). You don't have to memorize recipies either since the game keeps tabs on what you've unlocked and you can reference it at any point.

Sure X8 looks bad, but that shouldn't be a major detractor if the gameplay's fine. I would have prefered sprites over 3d models since MM sprites tend to better depict anime styles (except for good cel shade) than models do.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 06:15:09 pm »
but sprites tend to take a longer time than 3-D models.  well, thats what I heard.  I mean, if it was remade drawn sprites for X8 that looked like the ones from CVS Chaos or from SF3 3rd Strike (actually, that would have pwned hard), that would take some time to get down. 

what I want capcom to do one day is make another megaman fighter, except more serious than just a beat em up.  kinda like what they are doing with Sengoku Basara X (if you ever played Sengoku Basara/Devil Kings...X is a fighting game based off of it).  Then again, I think Arc Systems is actually making it and not capcom.
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline eggFL

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 07:35:15 pm »
Sure X8 looks bad, but that shouldn't be a major detractor if the gameplay's fine.

Not only do I disagree with that statement somewhat, I wouldn't say X8 gameplay is fine. The game just aims at being annoying instead of fun. It's always one gimmick or another. The vehicle stages (especially the city chase) are downright terrible and kill any of the appeal the game has, and they even take up 1/5th of the entire game because it's that short.

but sprites tend to take a longer time than 3-D models.  well, thats what I heard.  I mean, if it was remade drawn sprites for X8 that looked like the ones from CVS Chaos or from SF3 3rd Strike (actually, that would have pwned hard), that would take some time to get down.

Not only they may be harder to make but I had a theory. Gaming involves 3D staff/designers... so making 2D games is just a big hassle now. (and maybe the 3D staff is against it)

Anyway if I do say so myself, SF3 is the best looking 2D game ever. You're right, it would have been so lucky to get a Megaman game with that kind of quality 2D.

An observation I recently made was that Street Fighter 3 was made in 1997. As if that isn't incredible enough, it was actually made a number of months before Megaman X4 and only couple of months after Megaman 8. (both of which have the best 2D animation in any Megaman game)

I realize now, those were truly Capcom's glory days.

Print

Hits: 75 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1019.59 KB | Time: 0.10s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.