don't click here

If other characters were to get solo games..

Print

Author Topic: If other characters were to get solo games..  (Read 8280 times)

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« on: September 30, 2005, 02:54:17 pm »
This thread is for discussion of ideas for any game in the Sonic series that has a character other than Sonic as the main star. (aka spin-off games). Essentially, if someone like Knuckles, Rouge, Espio, etc. were to get their own solo game, what would be the best way of going about it gameplay wise?
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • It's me! In all my polygonal glory! ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Mark's Site Thingy- 3-D graphics and game info
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 04:00:44 pm »
It would have to be like Sonic's stages from the Adventure games.
There's no way I (or anyone here) would get a Knuckles game about emerald hunting,
and if there was a game about E-102 Gamma (or similar machines),
it would have to be way better than anything like that from before to sell.
(Well, I guess E-102's stages were pretty good. He can jump high, but he'd need a bit more speed.)

The characters you mentioned would be good for a SA-type game,
and if Rouge shared a game with at least one other character,
she could actually use real flying and maybe even special flying moves.
(Tails's stages are good, but it would probably be boring if the whole game was like that.)
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 08:50:58 am »
Rouge = Spy game.

zed oh emm gee.

Also Chaotix = more detectivey game... yeah. Only, no controlling all three at once plz.
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 12:26:19 pm »
Don't get me started on emerald hunting. Those stages were horrible. The only levels that were more boring than those were fishing stages.
-Knuckles: I'm thinking that a brawler with the awesome combat engine used in God of War (sans the stuff that made it M rated) would be a good fit. Knuckles is supposed to be a warrior but we never get to see this aspect of his personality.
-Amy: 2D Sonic game combined with the combat elements of the Mega Man Zero series. The game would also allow players to find upgrades scattered across levels like in Sonic Adventure 2 such as the ability to use Triangle Jump and Light Dash.

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 01:39:46 pm »
Don't get me started on emerald hunting. Those stages were horrible. The only levels that were more boring than those were fishing stages.
-Knuckles: I'm thinking that a brawler with the awesome combat engine used in God of War (sans the stuff that made it M rated) would be a good fit. Knuckles is supposed to be a warrior but we never get to see this aspect of his personality.
-Amy: 2D Sonic game combined with the combat elements of the Mega Man Zero series. The game would also allow players to find upgrades scattered across levels like in Sonic Adventure 2 such as the ability to use Triangle Jump and Light Dash.
[snapback]6508[/snapback]
1. I agree, but some of SA2's levels were so bad that they made the fishing look fun.
(but even Mad Space and Meteor Herd can't compete with Mission A fishin')
2. I haven't played that, so I don't know.
3. Mega Man Zero is mostly like Mega Man X, right? (or does it have more fighting?)
A MMX-style game with Amy would be kind of weird, but it could also be really good.
Shadow, Tikal, Metal Sonic, Dr. Robotnik (He's not as slow as Big, and
the weirdness and coolness of using him in SA2 makes him a must-include guy.),
Espio, Mighty, Charmy, Vector, Mr. Thorndyke (see how well a regular human can fight),
Decoe, Grounder, Ella, Bokkun, Perfect Chaos... Uh, forget about the last 5.

Oh, and don't forget to put me in it, too!
(Yeah, I could be introduced to the series as a new character!)

EDIT: Amy would run faster than in SA (she already does in SH, right?).
I'd probably be the fastest runner, so Sonic's speed would also need to be
increased (preferably a lot) to make sure he's still the fastest character.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 01:44:38 pm by Marth »
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 05:33:13 pm »
-1. Check out some the gameplay footage of God of War at gamespot.com (warning, super violent which is why I mention sans M rated content) if you want to see how the combat engine works. (Trust me, its awesome.)
-2. MMZ is very similar to MMX, but with a lot more battle, a significantly higher difficulty, and more emphasis on melee battle. In that series, you level uped your weapons by destroying enemies with the weapons. For my game idea, here's the level up progression of the hammer. (Max level the player can get at any point = 1+ the highest stage number the player has progressed thorugh, which would make the final hammer level 8.) 1= default (one hit, but you can run while attacking), 2= 2 hit combo (must be still to do this), 3= 3 hit combo, 4= aerial spinning smash (up + attack while airborne), 5= spin dash with the added range of the hammer added to it, 6= anti air smash with hammer that launches Amy into the air (up + attack on ground but can be done while running, think up + triangle special move from MMX4 without the fire), 7= boomerang style hammer throw (focus energy for 2 seconds and press attack, 8= hammer cyclone (foward + attack while at full speed, which basically acts like Amy's ground power move from Sonic Battle that occurs while moving). When I refer to triangle jumps in 2D, the wall jump from MMX is proably the best fit.
-Edit: Although some would think such a fusion would hamper the trademark Sonic sense of speed, if its done right, a great mixture of speed and combat could be made. It is possible to time attack some of the stages in the MMZ series (and get a really good enemies destroyed rating at the same time) and destroy the boss (which typically have 2-3 times more vitality than MMX bosses) in about 2:30-3:00.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 05:40:15 pm by magnum12 »

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 01:52:45 pm »
I've only played Mega Man X and MMX2.
The dash makes Mega Man almost as fast as Sonic (on flat ground), so he's easily as fast as Amy.
It's definitely an important move. I use it for speed all of the time, and I also use it for almost every jump.

Offline sonicam

• TSC's Most Easily Irritated Member
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 11:54:29 am »
Triangle Jump is from Heroes. It has nothing to do with jumping actually, it's just using Knuckles' glide and the team glides though the sky until they decend to the ground. Again, nothing to do with jumping, such a stupid name for the move too.

EDIT: Actually, I just realized Triangle Jump is also from Super Metroid. It's when you jump to a wall and press the opposite direction and press jump again and Samus wall kicks off the wall and ascends. Used when two walls are close together and ascend up the shaft. Used when you cannot use a Speed Booster Jump, but that kills you HP anyway so meh. :P

Yeah, dash jumps are essentially almost always the best thing to do in MMZ/MMX games. Normal jumping seems to be a waste, but sometimes you need to just do a normal jump to avoid attacks. I can't think of an instance though. D:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 11:57:01 am by sonicam »
Chaos Emeralds: Yellow, Red, Green, Blue and Purple.
Keys: Light Blue.

Click here to level up my card!

Print

Hits: 254 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.02 MB | Time: 0.06s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.